Swisher is currently PITCHING for the Yanks

JDsDirtySox

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
Swisher had a bad year last season, but he's a career.246/.356/.460 hitter and I always thought he would have a bounce back season. It's a joke that the Sox gave him away for nothing.

Still think its a joke? The Yankee fans are starting to boo him. He's hitting about .125 at home.

Edited by Dick Allen

Still would've been nice to have something to show off from the trade. Wilson Beatmymeat should be released. What's the word on Marquez returning from the DL from his case of total suckiness?

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 23, 2009 -> 09:26 PM)
Still would've been nice to have something to show off from the trade. Wilson Beatmymeat should be released. What's the word on Marquez returning from the DL from his case of total suckiness?

I'll take the money that turned into Dayan Viciedo and call it a win.

I'll take the money that turned into Dayan Viciedo and call it a win.

Even though Dayan has done nothing for the 2009 White Sox?

Can't one also say the money that wasn't used to re-sign Joe Crede went to Dayan? How about freeing up Javy's salary?

We bought way high and sold low and invested in something else that hasn't return anything to us yet. As much as you play around with stocks I'm shocked you would declare that a "win" so soon.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 24, 2009 -> 02:32 AM)

Can't one also say the money that wasn't used to re-sign Joe Crede went to Dayan? How about freeing up Javy's salary?

We bought way high and sold low and invested in something else that hasn't return anything to us yet. As much as you play around with stocks I'm shocked you would declare that a "win" so soon.

Some people look at both trades (acquiring then trading Swisher) while others view that once we had Swish, it was meaningless what we gave up for him. In other words, the price paid for Swisher was a sunk cost. Those that take the "sunk cost" view tend to believe the trade with the Yankees was a good one because it rid the Sox of a player that didn't produce and didn't seem to fit with the team. Those that still think of the trade to acquire Swish lament that we didn't get enough back from the Yankees for him.

IMO, both trades were good ones. It was worth trying to get him from the A's. He was a versatile player that worked counts and had a high OBP - something the Sox needed. However, he didn't perform, and he didn't fit. It was therefore smart to get rid of him without paying any of his salary for 2009 and beyond.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 24, 2009 -> 01:32 AM)

It probably would have been better off had the Swisher trade with Oakland not happened, but it did. At least KW cut his costs fairly quickly. You have to pay Swisher $5.3 million this year and it goes up from there. Maybe nothing they got back will ever help the White Sox win. Maybe the money the Sox say was Swisher's is what they gave Viciedo and maybe Viciedo does nothing for the Sox. Swisher was going to do nothing for the Sox and cost them $25 million. In this day and age, getting rid of a player who strikes out all the time, hit .219 and has about $25 million in guaranteed money left on his contract and not having to eat any of it is quite an accomplishment. If KW tried to move Swisher 2 months later than he did, he probably wouldn't have been as fortunate.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 24, 2009 -> 01:32 AM)

Is the 2007 draft a failure because no one is up here from that? Is the 2008 draft a failure because no one is up here?

We signed a potential superstar third baseman that we control for six major league seasons with the money savings that was Nick Swisher. Why do I specifically Swisher? Because of the timing of it.

We ditched a dog that was going to cost us millions of dollars this year, and wasn't going to give us what we wanted. How long do you let your losers ride?

Okay, how about this, a three way deal:

Yankees Get: Betemit, Nunez, Marquez

White Sox Get: Sweeney, Gonzalez, De Los Santos, Kanokea Teixeria

Athletics Get: Swisher

This way, everything goes back to how it's suppossed to be, and everyone's happy (except maybe the A's, however he was really a big time fan favorite over there).

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 23, 2009 -> 11:32 PM)

For all intents and purposes you could be right, but bottom line, not resigning Crede, trading Swisher, and moving Javier all had an impact in the Sox getting Dayan. Since I feel we got excellent value for Javier (he's pitching great in Atlanta, but the Sox got very talented prospects in return, how they produce at the ML level, jury is out there, but three guys with major league talent) and were never going to resign Crede it's pretty easy to put Viciedo in as part of the Swisher deal and right now, Viciedo would have a higher trade value than Swisher.

So ya, I'm ok with the deal. Would have liked the Sox to have gotten one solid piece out of the trade but I'm glad they freed up the payroll.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 26, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
For all intents and purposes you could be right, but bottom line, not resigning Crede, trading Swisher, and moving Javier all had an impact in the Sox getting Dayan. Since I feel we got excellent value for Javier (he's pitching great in Atlanta, but the Sox got very talented prospects in return, how they produce at the ML level, jury is out there, but three guys with major league talent) and were never going to resign Crede it's pretty easy to put Viciedo in as part of the Swisher deal and right now, Viciedo would have a higher trade value than Swisher.

So ya, I'm ok with the deal. Would have liked the Sox to have gotten one solid piece out of the trade but I'm glad they freed up the payroll.

I agree with you here. BY the end of the season the Yanks will probably be looking to move Swish and will get less than we did. Out of all of those deals I feel the Sox moved some pieces closer to where they believe their next core will be built, I think that is a pretty good philosophy.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 26, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
Since I feel we got excellent value for Javier (he's pitching great in Atlanta, but the Sox got very talented prospects in return, how they produce at the ML level, jury is out there, but three guys with major league talent) and were never going to resign Crede it's pretty easy to put Viciedo in as part of the Swisher deal and right now, Viciedo would have a higher trade value than Swisher.
I wouldn't say he pitching great... he's doing what he always does. 78 K/15 BB, 1.14 WHIP, yet he somehow manages to be 4-4 with a 3.80 ERA. He also got lit up by the Giants yesterday, in Atlanta.