Did Ozzie really fart on the umpire today?

sin city sox fan

I was unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) stuck at work today and unable to follow the action of the game. However, a friend is trying to tell me that Ozzie was ejected for farting on the home plate umpire. The recap on espn.com states it was for arguing balls and strikes....and makes no mention of flatulence. Can someone please confirm or deny whether Ozzie passed gas in the general direction of the home plate umpire resulting in his ejection? Thanks.

Ozzie was mocking the umpire after the Dye call...

Buehrle had a strike called in his favor when the Indians came up, and Ozzie was in the dugout motioning that HE actually thought it was low (he put his hands down below his knees) and then smiled towards home plate and just laughed for about 15 seconds. Of course, he was just trying to be sarcastic, it was one of those days for the offensive White Sox offense.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 13, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
I was unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) stuck at work today and unable to follow the action of the game. However, a friend is trying to tell me that Ozzie was ejected for farting on the home plate umpire. The recap on espn.com states it was for arguing balls and strikes....and makes no mention of flatulence. Can someone please confirm or deny whether Ozzie passed gas in the general direction of the home plate umpire resulting in his ejection? Thanks.

You never know what you are going to read on Soxtalk!

I would give anything to see the game recap:

Pitches-strikes: Buehrle 98-68, Linebrink 21-16, Lee 113-83, Betancourt 12-9, Wood 10-7.

Groundouts-flyouts: Buehrle 10-5, Linebrink 0-2, Lee 8-4, Betancourt 1-2, Wood 1-1.

Batters faced: Buehrle 29, Linebrink 4, Lee 27, Betancourt 4, Wood 3.

EjectionsChicago White Sox Manager Ozzie Guillen ejected by HP umpire Mike DiMuro for offensive flatulence. (6th); Chicago White Sox right fielder Jermaine Dye ejected by HP umpire Mike DiMuro. (6th).

Umpires: HP: Mike DiMuro. 1B: James Hoye. 2B: Dale Scott. 3B: Jerry Meals.

Weather: 64 degrees, cloudy.

Wind: 15 mph, Out to CF.

T: 2:23.

Att: 23,884.

May 13, 2009

So from the replys, it sounds like several other posters have heard this story.....however, I've yet to see the incident detailed in any media account of the game? Can anyone verify for a fact that Ozzie farted on the ump? If it's true, I imagine a large suspension is forthcoming because farting on an ump is worse than spitting on one and Alomar received five games when he layed a lugee on John Hirschbeck.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 14, 2009 -> 07:07 AM)
:lolhitting finally his mouth and ass are in harmony :notworthy

It would be difficult to prove intent. I can't see how they could ring him up when it can so easily be called an accident.

Most of the times that a player or manager bumps an umpire, its clearly an accident with no intent. However, they are still suspended.

If the ump heard Ozzie "toot" in his direction or noticed the odor of a "silent but deadly" bomb, I gotta believe that they would file a report with the league office and pursue a suspension.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 14, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
Most of the times that a player or manager bumps an umpire, its clearly an accident with no intent. However, they are still suspended.

If the ump heard Ozzie "toot" in his direction or noticed the odor of a "silent but deadly" bomb, I gotta believe that they would file a report with the league office and pursue a suspension.

Not the same thing at all. We are talking about an involuntary, at times, bodily function. It would be like pursuing a suspension because he was sweating.