Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:06 PM)
Yeah, I have no idea where people think they saw the trade was dead. Peavy wants to pitch in the NL? No s***, that's all we heard for the entire offseason. Hell, he probably just woke up a few hours ago, as the Padres were home last night.

His agent is saying he doesn't think Peavy will accept a deal to the AL, at least not now. I don't think his agent, or any agent, would just make casual statements to the media for no reason. The two have talked, let's not be naive. Peavy is either saying no, or his agent is trying to create some leverage -- either for the Sox to pick up the option year, or to get other teams involved. Either way, it doesn't sound like a deal is imminent.

Edited by bighurt574

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Levine on first comment is (wait they have to play his annoying theme song) he's hearing the agent saying that Peavy isn't ready to make the decision right now, but it could change later on today or tomorrow and that Peavy to the Cell is one of his worst scenarios for his career

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
His agent is saying he doesn't think Peavy will accept a deal to the AL, at least not now. I don't think his agent, or any agent, would just make casual statements to the media for no reason. Peavy is either saying no, or his agent is trying to create some leverage -- either for the Sox to pick up the option year, or to get other teams involved. Either way, it doesn't sound like a deal is imminent.

He would if he is trying to hold a team hostage for say $22 million...

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
It sounds like Poreda has been informed of the trade by the Sox. Which says to me the deal is done and it's all on Jake. We just have to wait for the official word from the Pads.

Doesn't sound like that to me at all, sounds like he's reading hte same press reports we are.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
I don't understand how the Sox posting the biggest in-season trade since the Freddy Garcia deal on their web site, getting the fan base all riled up, and then dropping the truth on them like a load of bricks is going to sell tickets and merchandise. If anything, it makes Kenny and the Sox front office look disingenuous and low-class. Not to mention desperate for attention.

I don't think this was all for show, but since the Sox have been really struggling it shows they are willing to pay the price in players and money to make things better. I don't think they will spend any money if Peavy doesn't happen and they will say it really was never there, but in no way does this hurt them in a PR sense if Peavy says no. It will turn some of the people who can't understand why they paid so much to watch Lillibridge lead off into thinking they are trying to get better, and this pitcher is too afraid to pitch for the White Sox.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
His agent is saying he doesn't think Peavy will accept a deal to the AL, at least not now. I don't think his agent, or any agent, would just make casual statements to the media for no reason. The two have talked, let's not be naive. Peavy is either saying no, or his agent is trying to create some leverage -- either for the Sox to pick up the option year, or to get other teams involved. Either way, it doesn't sound like a deal is imminent.

The context in which the agent answered a question is the real question.

Why hasn't Jake agreed to the trade?

Well he doesn't really want to pitch in the AL.

This is like watching Damaso Marte pitch.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
Doesn't sound like that to me at all, sounds like he's reading hte same press reports we are.

Agreed. If he talked to KW or anyone else, they would have told him not to say anything.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
Levine on first comment is (wait they have to play his annoying theme song) he's hearing the agent saying that Peavy isn't ready to make the decision right now, but it could change later on today or tomorrow and that Peavy to the Cell is one of his worst scenarios for his career

I dont understand it, if Mark Buehrle can pitch here his entire career and be successful, why should anyone else be so scared? We have probably a top 3 pitching coach who has been instrumental in reviving and developing arms over the years. Take the tampon out of your vagina Jake and join the squad already.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:05 PM)
I'll miss the heck out of Poreda if this happens. He's a really down to earth guy.

Yeah, he is. I asked him last week when he was going up to Chicago, I said it would be sooner rather than later. He got a good laugh about that.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)
With the way the economy is, I can guarantee there will be good deals to be made if we're willing to pick up contracts.

And for the last time, I completely disagree with this. There's only a handful of potential aces in the league, and I doubt, even in this economy, there are going to be any teams who are willing to foolishly part with them. The Padres situation seems to be a perfect storm of events.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)
On the Score Holmes said we would know by this afternoon if Jake accepted the deal,does he have some sort of deadline or what?

that's the first I heard an outlet report it, but one needs to come because Richards and Peavy are scheduled to pitch Saturday and Friday.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
On the Score Holmes said we would know by this afternoon if Jake accepted the deal,does he have some sort of deadline or what?

Early on it was reported that the Sox wanted to know this afternoon because Peavy is set to pitch tomorrow. I don't know if things have changed.

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:02 AM)
Scott Linebrink talked to Peavy last night and told The Score that Jake is not against pitching in the AL. This seems to sound like Writers sick of silence in the news cycle and are rehashing old stories as to why there is silence.

What? Scott was on earlier and made no indication of that. Indicated it was 50/50.