Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:25 PM)
I love how everyone in the media is trying to make KW look foolish for trading for one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball.

Heyman: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ex.html?eref=T1

Verducci: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ikes/index.html

f*** them.

I love how everyone in the media is trying to make KW look foolish for trading for one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball.

I only read Heyman's, and it's a legit questioning of KW. I agreed with the deal, but still had questions, many of the same that Heyman has.

If you're the Pads I imagine you go to Peavy and ask him and his agent to stop talking about other teams, ie the Cubs, in public. If the Cubs could add the payroll and had an offer accetable to the Pads he'd be there.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
I actually agree with what Heyman said about the White Sox in his article.

Which part? The part where he doesn't understand or the part where he says KW is a fighter. The one thing I always said about Kenny is that as a fan, I can't complain about him sitting on his hands. He's always trying to make the team better. Key word: trying.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
I actually agree with what Heyman said about the White Sox in his article.

Lol, great minds... so do I, but I would have been still fine with the deal.

I do like how he points out the Sox have 40m coming off the books, I imagine agents everywhere are just loving that. I bet every high priced FA this offseason will have White Sox attached even if the White Sox aren't interested, a big market team who has shown they're willing to take risks to win with a ton of money free is a great barganing chip, even if it isn't reality!

Looks like Heyman thinks the White Sox will lose today, he has us at 17-24...lol. He also messed up on his SI article when he said the Padres, not the White Sox, did not want to pick up the 2013 option.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 22, 2009 -> 07:31 PM)
Verducci makes it look like the Sox may actually be worse than the Padres. Maybe they are.

This year, it's possible they have similar records. However, the Padres are awful. They have no pitching depth, and their offense is abysmal besides Gonzalez.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
Eh...

Now watch Peavy end up with the Red Sox or Angels or Yankees. We get no respect from big time players...

that would be a complete 180 on his behalf. the unofficial list Heyman discusses has been pretty much it, even when those teams were being discussed last year it was reported he had little to no interest in them, add the joke that is right field in the new Yankee stadium, i think he sits tight and waits for a NL team

OK, how, with the Cubs in bankruptcy court, and their sale stalled, are they going to be able to add payroll? They already have payroll concerns stated by Jim Hendry for 2010 and beyond when their biggest earners start go get into their balloon years. How did this all change?

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 22, 2009 -> 07:31 PM)
Which part? The part where he doesn't understand or the part where he says KW is a fighter. The one thing I always said about Kenny is that as a fan, I can't complain about him sitting on his hands. He's always trying to make the team better. Key word: trying.

The part where he talks about an executive saying he didn't understand it, as we set ourselves up to go young and cheap and then seemed to go against that with this deal. Like I said yesterday, I think yesterday's effort by KW was a great sign for things to come.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:34 PM)
This year, it's possible they have similar records. However, the Padres are awful. They have no pitching depth, and their offense is abysmal besides Gonzalez.

Right, that was the only thing that was odd about that article since Peavy isn't on a one year deal. The Sox have a ton of payroll flexability, and seemingly an up-and-coming farm system, a track record of winning, a track record of trying to field a contending team year after year and MB and Danks locked up for a few years, and best case scenario Gavin turns it around somewhat.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:34 PM)

And the White Sox future is much better than the Pads.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
OK, how, with the Cubs in bankruptcy court, and their sale stalled, are they going to be able to add payroll? They already have payroll concerns stated by Jim Hendry for 2010 and beyond when their biggest earners start go get into their balloon years. How did this all change?

You're 100% right and it's poor reporting if that's not being pointed out. Levine on AM 1000 yesterday stressed the Cubs are in no position right no to "add a dime" currently and then even going forward with the new owners, it seems DeRosa is on the market and the Cubs can't even add his contract at this point. Not to mention the Pads didn't like what they were offering last year and I don't see how it could have possibly got any better.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
Verducci's article absolutely slaps us in the face but hey, it's what we put together this offseason. I cant fight his facts.

true, but IMO it's a poorly written section because it completely ignores the fact that it was a long term deal, they have a good portion of promising rotation locked up for 3 years and even adding Peavy the Sox would have had 23m coming off the books. It's just a sensational short sighted article, very poorly done and not diplomatic.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
Verducci's article absolutely slaps us in the face but hey, it's what we put together this offseason. I cant fight his facts.

He's being shortsighted. The Sox may win now...but they are setting up to win in the future.

SF...GET OUT OF MY BRAIN!!!

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
He's being shortsighted. The Sox may win now...but they are setting up to win in the future.

SF...GET OUT OF MY BRAIN!!!

lol, great minds CoC!!!!

I thought all SI writers had e-mail addresses, I can't find Verduci's, I want to write him and point out the future upside of the Sox and how they are team who always want to put a winning team on the field... can anyone find it?

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 22, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)
And the White Sox future is much better than the Pads.

With some good signings this offseason and a good trade or two, the Sox can easily reach the upper echelon of MLB teams real soon. It will be nice if that LF of ours can remind us why he would have won the MVP last season.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
lol, great minds CoC!!!!

I thought all SI writers had e-mail addresses, I can't find Verduci's, I want to write him and point out the future upside of the Sox and how they are team who always want to put a winning team on the field... can anyone find it?

There was a comments section right next to it that went to his mailbag. I wrote to him there.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
There was a comments section right next to it that went to his mailbag. I wrote to him there.

ha, yeah, right in front of my face! it's like at least once a week I spend 5 minutes looking for my cell phone when it's in my pocket

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
ha, yeah, right in front of my face! it's like at least once a week I spend 5 minutes looking for my cell phone when it's in my pocket

Or sunglasses and they are on my head.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
You're 100% right and it's poor reporting if that's not being pointed out. Levine on AM 1000 yesterday stressed the Cubs are in no position right no to "add a dime" currently and then even going forward with the new owners, it seems DeRosa is on the market and the Cubs can't even add his contract at this point. Not to mention the Pads didn't like what they were offering last year and I don't see how it could have possibly got any better.

Why hasn't anyone picked up on this??? Without a three way deal, sending some very good players out of Wrigley, the Cubs can't afford Jake Peavy. Heck its not even that they can't afford him, they don't even have anyone to ask if they can raise the payroll right now. Do you really think a bankruptcy court is going to authorize the Tribune to spend $11 million without any extra revenue coming from this deal? Uh, no. Ricketts couldn't do anything even if he wanted to, until the deal is approved, and from the sounds of it, he is having problems raising the billion dollars or so that they bid for the team because of the recession.

Peavy's options are a lot more limited than he thinks right now.