Will Joe Mauer hit .400?

High Mileage

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 12:00 AM)
Only 25, already has two batting titles, and he is a career .324 hitter.

Hitting .429 as of June 16.

Not a chance. His BABIP is .424. There's just no way that's going to hold over the course of a season (or in Mauer's case, 5 months). .350 is much more realistic.

Edited by Jordan4life

I say he does, and what about the power? On pace for 43 hrs in 138 games. If he can maintain anything close to these type of numbers, he becomes the most untouchable franchise player in baseball, imo. No offense to someone like Pujols, but Stud Catcher> Stud Any position.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 12:34 AM)
I say he does, and what about the power? On pace for 43 hrs in 138 games. If he can maintain anything close to these type of numbers, he becomes the most untouchable franchise player in baseball, imo. No offense to someone like Pujols, but Stud Catcher> Stud Any position.

Stud catcher only if his back will hold up.

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 01:51 AM)
I think the important thing to remember when looking at his career numbers, is that he's 25. I'm confident in saying that he's not even close to hitting his professional peak, and that's just plain scary...

The power surge is what's shocked me. Not so much the average. He won't keep up his current HR pace. I agree that he probably hasn't peaked yet.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 12:08 AM)
Not a chance. His BABIP is .424. There's just no way that's going to hold over the course of a season (or in Mauer's case, 5 months). .350 is much more realistic.

You do realize that, by definition, a hitter must have a BABIP over .400 in order to average .400 on the season, right? That his BABIP is high goes without saying. It's like saying "No way his batting average will stay that high--because obviously his batting average is too high."

Edited by JorgeFabregas

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
You do realize that, by definition, a hitter must have a BABIP over .400 in order to average .400 on the season, right? That his BABIP is high goes without saying. It's like saying "No way his batting average will stay that high--because obviously his batting average is too high."

Not really, a player can hit a bunch of homers and that wouldn't factor into BABIP.

I think his point was that he has been getting lucky and that it will eventually go down back to his career average, which is probably .350.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 10:08 AM)
Not really, a player can hit a bunch of homers and that wouldn't factor into BABIP.

I think his point was that he has been getting lucky and that it will eventually go down back to his career average, which is probably .350.

Ah, you are correct. My bad. I was thinking that BABIP included homeruns. However, Ted Williams' BABIP was .429 when he hit over .400. His BABIP was higher than Mauer's in most other years as well--obviously he was a better hitter and I'm guessing he was playing in larger parks on the road.

Edited by JorgeFabregas

By the time Mauer is 28 (if not sooner) the Twins will have moved him from that position. There's no sense in letting someone with this offensive ability ruin his legs and back squatting for 9 innings a day.

On a related note, I remember how many people ripped the Twins for taking the hometown kid and letting Mark Prior slip to 2 over financial reasons. I guess it worked out.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
I've never thought anyone could realistic hit .400 this late into a year before now.

I don't think he'll do it, but if Vegas or Atlantic City had odd of him hitting .400 at 10-1 I'd probably throw $100 down on that.

It is only May 15th for him. Didn't Berkman go into June last year.

If Ichiro could not hit .400 nobody will.

Mauer does not get the speed hit.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 12:08 AM)

thanks for posting the BABIP, I was just going to look at that. Yeah, with it being .424, I'm in the no camp. Obviously he's a hell of a player and will continue to be for a long time, but I don't see .400, at least not this year

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
It is only May 15th for him. Didn't Berkman go into June last year.

If Ichiro could not hit .400 nobody will.

Mauer does not get the speed hit.

But he does play in a place that is conducive to getting cheap hits.

And Mauer is a farrrrr better hitter than Berkman.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
thanks for posting the BABIP, I was just going to look at that. Yeah, with it being .424, I'm in the no camp. Obviously he's a hell of a player and will continue to be for a long time, but I don't see .400, at least not this year

People keeping justifying their "no" answers due to his BABIP being so high. Well, if you're gonna hit .400 wouldn't you think you're BABIP would be that high?

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
He's easily the best hitting catcher Ive ever seen.

Oh, I totally agree. I just meant that his back will be the deciding factor in whether he can spend a majority of his career behind the plate.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
He probably will not...and he probably won't stay at catcher much longer.

Which will create a bit of a problem for the Twins. Do you cycle Mauer and Morneau at DH/1B and pay them both boatloads of money?