Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 07:42 PM)
If he gets one million a year extra for each of the 5 years of his deal then it's not a lot of money. Not in NBA terms.

That can go to taxes which is also less in Detroit. Plus he could probably by himself a mansion the size of Mike Tyson's in Detroit on his first year's salary alone now considering how bad of a state(no pun) that city is in.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 08:03 PM)
That can go to taxes which is also less in Detroit. Plus he could probably by himself a mansion the size of Mike Tyson's in Detroit on his first year's salary alone now considering how bad of a state(no pun) that city is in.

Ya Michigan sucks. I know, I go to school there. :ph34r: And only if he was retarded would he buy a house within the city limits of Detroit. Sterling Heights, Bloomfield, etc.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)
Ya Michigan sucks. I know, I go to school there. :ph34r: And only if he was retarded would he buy a house within the city limits of Detroit. Sterling Heights, Bloomfield, etc.

Which he may be. He's planning on buying a house in Detroit on July 8th when he officialy signs the deal from what he said on the radio.

EDIT

I also did make a mistake, it's for 5 years, 58 million he signed for. Someone on RealGM also did the math better than myself.

The contract wouldn't have kicked in 2 years ago, it would have kicked in last year. Also, his decision to take the QO isn't based on what he could have done two years ago but rather what he could have done last year.

If he had signed the deal 2 years ago, he'd have made 5/50, instead he gets 6/64.5? (is the 5/58 confirmed vs 5/55?). If you compare it to last year though, it's the same years 6/64 vs 5/54. He made an extra 10 million by taking the QO over the same number of years.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 07:22 PM)
Well congratu-f***ing-lations to Ben Gordon for getting 5 more million over 5 years. Holding out REALLY paid off for him. Give me a break. And can you please link us to any article that says he's getting 5/60? From what I've heard, his deal starts at 9.5 and goes up at the end.

Are you kidding? 5 million is a lot.

LMAO at this;

Sign And Trade For Gordon? CBSSports' Ken Berger floats out an interesting wrinkle in the Ben Gordon to Detroit scenario, suggesting there may be interest from the Bulls in a sign and trade deal for Allen Iverson.

The gist of the idea is that Detroit would agree to a deal with Allen Iverson at say $5 million per season, the Bulls would sign and trade Ben Gordon to Detroit who would use some of their cap space to absorb the deal, giving Chicago Iverson and a hefty trade exception in return. The Pistons are rumored to be open to the move if it saves them money, as it stands the Pistons have a 5-year $55 million deal on the table, a deal with Chicago could swell the deal to six-years. The question becomes how much of an annual discount would Gordon's camp give to gain the sixth year?

The other question is why would Chicago want to add Iverson? They clearly do not need him nor do they have a starting roster spot for him. Add Iverson's history with coaches, would saddling Iverson with second year coach Vinny Del Negro be a recipe for disaster?

It is not at all uncommon for a player to reach an early deal with another team, and then return to the old team and say "I am leaving, do what to get something for me, let's talk sign and trade" – so this is not a huge stretch, however Iverson in Chicago just does not seem to fit.

I have seen some crazy reports across the world wide Web the past 48 hours or so.

I have seen Ben Gordon''s contract offer from the Pistons reported as high as $60 million. Unless there are some incentive clauses I don''t know about, the total value of the deal should fall just short of $55 million. He will start at $9 million next season.

Charlie Villanueva''s deal will start at $6 million and is for $35 million over five years, not $40 million.

Also, I saw a report that the Bulls never made an offer to Gordon. That is true, technically. Here''s what happened: The Pistons made their offer Wednesday and before agreeing to it, Gordon''s agent, Raymond Brothers, went back to the Bulls. Presumably, he asked if they wanted to match the offer and got an immediate answer of no. The Bulls couldn''t clear that much money. So, yes, there was no offer from Chicago, but it was given a chance to get back into the bidding. Not a big deal, but facts is facts, as they say.

Link

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)

Wow, I heard differently on Gordon's contract and the negotiations. Apparently Gordon's agents, the Raymond Bros asked the Bulls to make a blind offer after receiving an offer from the Pistons(never stated whether or not Ben knew about the blind offer or not), and the Bulls did decline to do so. The article was written by a Detroit newspaper and there was a huge thread talking about the blind offer on RealGM and a post by a Pistons fan with the article disclosing the 58 million Ben received. Either way, Bulls feel they can get Dwyane Wade or Joe Johnson along with a big in 2010. Honestly Wade would be great if there was no Rose, but since neither has great range outside the three point line, and since both need the ball to be effective, it would not be best to put them together if you want to maximize their talents IMHO. Joe Johnson, IMHO, is not that big of an upgrade over Ben for the type of contract he'll get versus the one Ben got.

Either way, I think it's best if you put a dead-eye shooter with Rose along with a dominant offensive big man. I honestly still feel Deng has no place on this team in terms of the depth we have at SF along with his type of game and the type of offense we run. If it were up to me, we'd make a run next year at Bosh or Amare or Boozer(which Bulls won't do cas of the CLE fiasco), or a Dirk if he opts out, sign a TMac maybe for 2 years at SG, and save the rest of the capspace the following year(hopefully you're able to get rid of Deng by then) for Carmelo possibly. Bulls need shooters or guys who are quick enough to get to the basket. Deng unfortunately is neither and his contract is too big for his abilities and this system. Hinrich would be a great combo guard off the bench, but he makes too much and isn't happy as a bench player as been reported by ChicagoNow, I believe.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 07:24 PM)
Ugh, please no Joe Johnson.

Why not? I really don't know a ton about basketball, but I do know Johnson can score points, is still relatively young, and can play the 2 or 3.

Does he have a large contract or not play D?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 05:52 PM)
Why not? I really don't know a ton about basketball, but I do know Johnson can score points, is still relatively young, and can play the 2 or 3.

Does he have a large contract or not play D?

He's a really inefficient scorer, and he's one of those guys who always needs the ball in his hands. He's basically Ben Gordon except not as good of a shooter. Better rebounder and defender, but he's just not going to fit well with the Bulls.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 08:00 PM)
He's a really inefficient scorer, and he's one of those guys who always needs the ball in his hands. He's basically Ben Gordon except not as good of a shooter. Better rebounder and defender, but he's just not going to fit well with the Bulls.

This. I like Joe Johnson, but he's going to be overpaid and as stated before, he needs the ball in his hands at all times to be effective.

Johnson was pretty effective as a role player in Phoenix. He dominates the ball in Atlanta because honestly, he is their best player. They don't have a ton of ballhandlers with good hoops IQ, just him & Mike Bibby.

QUOTE (Ron @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)
Johnson was pretty effective as a role player in Phoenix. He dominates the ball in Atlanta because honestly, he is their best player. They don't have a ton of ballhandlers with good hoops IQ, just him & Mike Bibby.

If I were in Atlanta I'd want the ball in Horford's hands more.

Put it this way...if the Bulls miss out on Bosh, Wade, Boozer, and Amare as FA's next offseason, Joe Johnson wouldn't be a bad option. But he's not the guy I'd try to sign on day 1, and I wouldn't offer him anything close to a max deal. More than the MLE, but not so much that I wouldn't have cap space in 2011.

Hedo Turkoglu is signing with Toronto spurning Portland.

That team could very well be back in the playoffs next season because;

1 - Bosh will want to play very well in a "contract" year.

2 - Hedo is an upgrade on Marion on the offensive end.

3 - If Calderon is healthy, he'll be back to his 07-08 form.

4 - The played well under Triano at the end of the season.

Hmmm the Orlandp CBS affilate is reporting that the Magic offered Hedo 5/45 at the last minute, but he took the 5/56 offer from the Raps instead.

As for the Blazers, my guess is they go after Andre Miller or possibly Kirk Hinrich right now (although I don't think Hinrich is much of an upgrade on Blake really).

QUOTE (dbaho @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 09:17 AM)
Hmmm the Orlandp CBS affilate is reporting that the Magic offered Hedo 5/45 at the last minute, but he took the 5/56 offer from the Raps instead.

As for the Blazers, my guess is they go after Andre Miller or possibly Kirk Hinrich right now (although I don't think Hinrich is much of an upgrade on Blake really).

What do you think the Blazers would offer for Hinrich?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 09:55 AM)
I don't think the Bulls can trade a guard right now, they have no depth left.

Flame away, but I'd sigh AI for a year if he is willing.

Otherwise, in a year, we are probably looking at a lottery pick plus/hopefully Wade and Bosh. Either/or