State your unpopular opinions

BigSqwert

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
Boooooooo. I'll pass on the McBallparks, thanks. I like that each stadium has its nuances.

yeah, but stats can get influenced by those nuances too. That's a major booooo. NBA rims are all 10 feet off the floor, imagine if they weren't.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
Only if eating, reading a map, changing a CD in the CD player, smoking, etc...while driving are treated the same way

you could go that direction with 'driving while sleepy' 'driving while mad' 'driving after watching too much NASCAR'.

major offenders, such as drunk drivers and idiot texting drivers need to get busted.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
yeah, but stats can get influenced by those nuances too. That's a major booooo. NBA rims are all 10 feet off the floor, imagine if they weren't.

I prefer the nuances. Unless they are all domes, there are always variables.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
you could go that direction with 'driving while sleepy' 'driving while mad' 'driving after watching too much NASCAR'.

major offenders, such as drunk drivers and idiot texting drivers need to get busted.

You should see the roads right outside of Route 66 (where they do the NHRA races). The road is covered in black stripes.

I suppose every golf course should be the same as well?

Pit bulls suck. They are hideous looking dogs

I'd like to see suspensions of licenses for drivers under 21 that have accidents due to playing around on phones or Ipods. I don't think saving them for SEVERE accidents because they'll just get toss aside in a plea bargain. Imagine if that asshole that killed Nick Adenhart was playing on a phone (while being drunk.) Would a law banning phone use in a car really punish the criminal any further?

You need to be in pretty good shape to drive a race car (competitively).

Same thing as an astronaut or a firefighter. We raced Russia to the moon and ESPN the ocho sometimes shows fireman games. Are those sports too?

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 06:08 PM)
Same thing as an astronaut or a firefighter. We raced Russia to the moon and ESPN the ocho sometimes shows fireman games. Are those sports too?

Not true, we raced Russia to space and lost.... the race to the moon was completely made up by our government.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
Not true, we raced Russia to space and lost.... the race to the moon was completely made up by our government.

It wasn't really a race to space starting off though...the U.S. was doing its thing, and then was suddenly blindsided when the Russians did things. A lot of it came out of building missiles anyway.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)
I suppose every golf course should be the same as well?

Pit bulls suck. They are hideous looking dogs

I'd like to see suspensions of licenses for drivers under 21 that have accidents due to playing around on phones or Ipods. I don't think saving them for SEVERE accidents because they'll just get toss aside in a plea bargain. Imagine if that asshole that killed Nick Adenhart was playing on a phone (while being drunk.) Would a law banning phone use in a car really punish the criminal any further?

Golf is not a sport, see above unpopular opinion.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 06:08 PM)

Nope, I was just commenting on the physical conditioning required for it.

I would contend that motorsports are sports, but its such a vague and poorly defined term that there's not much point in arguing.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 06:12 PM)

Whats the difference between "idiot texting drivers" and drivers trying to eat their big mac and fries with a sprite and occasionally lighting up a cigarette?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 08:49 PM)
Whats the difference between "idiot texting drivers" and drivers trying to eat their big mac and fries with a sprite and occasionally lighting up a cigarette?

if i wanted to, i could drive while eating a big mac and not even take my eyes of the road.

a more realistic comparison to texting while driving is to reading the newspaper while you drive around.

i know what you are trying to say , that there's a lot of things which cause distractions while driving. thats true. i just think staring at a phone and typing in messages while your going 60 miles an hour is more dangerous than most.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519856,00.html

Driving while texting remains a "serious issue" on the nation's roadways, transportation officials said

also according to AAA

Dialing a hand-held device was associated with nearly triple the odds of being involved in a crash or near-crash, and talking or listening to a hand-held device was associated with about a 30% increase in the odds of being involved in a crash or near-crash.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 12:23 PM)
No, I get that. I don't think I said I was 100% unaffected by alcohol when drinking that much. There's definitely going to be some impairment when having any amount of alcohol. Having one drink affects you, but how much it affects you is why people are allowed to drive with some alcohol in their system (otherwise everyone would have to blow a 0.00 to not get a DUI). Rather, I wasn't affected enough to be unable to operate a vehicle properly.

Look, whatever my BAC level at that moment was, it probably would have been around .08. I'm almost positive it was lower than that, but if it was a .08 and I was "legally" drunk, I don't think I should have gotten the same punishment (if given a DUI) as someone who blows a .12 or something. B/c all that would have meant was if I had waited 15 more minutes to drive, I'd be "legally" able to again, being under the .08 mark. How does that make sense?

I'm not sure if I'm just not making my point clear here or what, but everyone seems to think I take the stance that "getting a DUI is cool" or it's 100% fine to drink and drive. Getting a DUI scares the s*** out of me, so you best believe I'm not driving unless I'm about 100% certain I'm not gonna get one. But if I had for being so close to the limit, then my punishment should be less than that of someone who was well over the limit. Being .001 away from being legal vs .04 away is a large difference even if it may not look like it.

Regardless, luckily I don't have to worry about this during the school year since we have pledges that are sober drivers 7 nights/week for the entire school year. It's our attempt to stop drunk driving, and it definitely works.

EDIT: Okay, so none of this really matters anymore. I did 3 of those online BAC level testers (I know they're not 100%, but close enough), and the highest BAC level I got from the 3 was a .05, so I was well under the limit. 8 beers, 6 hours, 150 pounds, drinking Miller Lite...

Well, there is a difference between "knowing your limits" and actually being drunk but thinking you're sober.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 12:06 PM)
Finally someone I agree with.

Do your homework. Pitties are lovers and live to please. People that train them to fight should get the death penalty.

The same was said about blacks, mexicans, and jews at various times thru history and how do we feel about these statements now?

^^ add "people who compare dogs to humans" to my list.

People who are underage and have one beer are suddenly less capable of driving than someone who has had four beers and waited around another 30 minutes. Not sure of the laws around other states, but South Dakota, which has a zero-tolerance policy for underage drinkers, says that anyone under the age of 21 who has essentially any alcohol in their system will receive a DUI. A good friend of mine was the victim of that because he was drinking the night before, left for home at about 1:00 the next day, was pulled over and given a breathalyzer, and was arrested due to DUI. He later got out of it with an underage consumption, but that just doesn't seem right to me. If you are underage, have had 2 beers, and get pulled over, you should get an underage in consumption, not a DUI.

Also, I believe that people should have to renew their driving license taking the road exam every 5-10 years. The reason I say that is because old people suck at driving.

And further, in regards to driving, people should be pulled over for going excessively slow without reason. I understand they do this on most interstates, but if it is a 40 MPH street and someone is driving 20 MPH in a Buick Le Sabre, that is half the speed limit and they are a danger on the road, just as someone is a danger if they are going 60 MPH on the same street.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:05 AM)
the race to the moon was completely made up by our government.

...That's a lie. You realize they had already put probes on the moon before we did, right? Russia had very real plans to go the moon, but all of the sudden in the mid 60s their space program started to unravel with the death of many of their top astronauts.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 04:34 AM)
...That's a lie. You realize they had already put probes on the moon before we did, right? Russia had very real plans to go the moon, but all of the sudden in the mid 60s their space program started to unravel with the death of many of their top astronauts.

Yea, and that was a CIA plot so we could get to the moon first. :unsure:

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)
if i wanted to, i could drive while eating a big mac and not even take my eyes of the road.

a more realistic comparison to texting while driving is to reading the newspaper while you drive around.

i know what you are trying to say , that there's a lot of things which cause distractions while driving. thats true. i just think staring at a phone and typing in messages while your going 60 miles an hour is more dangerous than most.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519856,00.html

also according to AAA

I just don't agree with cracking down on one thing and leaving so many essentially the same activities unregulated. Look, if i'm driving into NYC or it's a windy road or it's raining/snowing I don't take my eyes off the road for a second. But if I'm on the highway and not many people are around me or I'm on some side street I have no qualms responding to a text. I don't type out novels but if it's quick I'll do it and while I'm doing so I am not endangering anyone, including myself. I can see how at times it can be dangerous, but not moreso than countless other activities that are not being cracked down upon. But as for talking on a cellphone, I really don't see why people get so up in arms about that. You're watching the road afterall. It's no different than the mother yelling at her young children in the back seat, the woman late for work so doing her makeup in the mirror, the guy too proud to ask for directions trying to read a map and drive or anyone adjusting CD's in the stereo, fiddling with the GPS, searching through the iPod, trying to light a cigarette, etc...I rarely have a need to talk on the cell while driving, but it really bugs me that when I do I have to try and do so incognito and get all paranoid about getting pulled over for it. In my opinion, it is too regulated, especially since you can do pretty much anything else you'd like while driving, some of which IMO is much more dangerous.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
I just don't agree with cracking down on one thing and leaving so many essentially the same activities unregulated. Look, if i'm driving into NYC or it's a windy road or it's raining/snowing I don't take my eyes off the road for a second. But if I'm on the highway and not many people are around me or I'm on some side street I have no qualms responding to a text. I don't type out novels but if it's quick I'll do it and while I'm doing so I am not endangering anyone, including myself. I can see how at times it can be dangerous, but not moreso than countless other activities that are not being cracked down upon. But as for talking on a cellphone, I really don't see why people get so up in arms about that. You're watching the road afterall. It's no different than the mother yelling at her young children in the back seat, the woman late for work so doing her makeup in the mirror, the guy too proud to ask for directions trying to read a map and drive or anyone adjusting CD's in the stereo, fiddling with the GPS, searching through the iPod, trying to light a cigarette, etc...I rarely have a need to talk on the cell while driving, but it really bugs me that when I do I have to try and do so incognito and get all paranoid about getting pulled over for it. In my opinion, it is too regulated, especially since you can do pretty much anything else you'd like while driving, some of which IMO is much more dangerous.

There are several studies out there that indicate that driving while even talking on a hands-free cell phone connection is at the same level as drunk driving. The thing that you are missing out on with those examples you cite (adjusting CDs, etc) is how long those things take to do. Usually those are quick things while talking on a cell phone tends to happen for a longer period of time. Don't most of your conversations last longer than it takes to do any of those other things?

Here is the first article that I pulled up. You can find tons of them:

Utah Study

Here is a point that it makes at the end kind of stating what I just said:

There is good reason to believe that some of these new multitasking activities may be substantially more distracting than the old standards because they are more cognitively engaging and because they are performed over longer periods of time.

I know that I can always pick out cell phone users pretty quickly while driving. They are so much slower to react to everything around them.

Edited by vandy125