We love you Gordon, oh yes we do

chisoxfan09

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's how good Beckham is...

Among all 3B with at least 200 plate appearances, his wOBA (weighted on base average) is only 7 points behind both Evan Longoria and Chipper Jones. He's ahead of Chone Figgins, Ryan Zimmerman, Scott Rolen, Brandon Inge, and Casey Blake.

I view him pretty much as a lefty version of Ryan Theriot. Theriot probably will hit for a little higher average but they are pretty much the same player in my eyes. If you have really good to great players at 2B and SS...obviously he is a great utility guy. But with what they are paying him...he has value to start at 2B. Depending on where the Sox decide to spend money in the offseason will show us where Getz's role will be.

They will need to address the following needs and depending on how they address them, thats how Getz's role will be determined.

LF/RF, DH, CF, 5th Starter, RP, 3B

They could get a LF and shift Quentin to RF or get a LF. Crawford would look awesome in LF.....but not sure if we have anything left to make that happen.

DH role could be filled be resigning Dye (hopefully cheaply).

CF....who knows (organizational depth? JorDanks? maybe 2010 too early)

5th Starter (given the price of the current rotation (Danks extension?) probably organizational depth, i.e. Hudson or Torres)

They already traded for Pena to save money (maybe Nunez can take the other spot?)

None of those really make Getz a utility guy, but the last position might. If the Sox view Beckham as a long term 3B option, then they won't explore this.

KW has always had a crush on Figgins and we all know how KW man crushes go. That would also allow the Sox to get a leadoff man, put Beckham at 2B where he would already be near Kinsler value and make our IF pretty solid.

Got a little off tangent from Getz as a ROY candidate...but that is my view of his future status with the team.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
Chris Getz is exactly the kind of player the Twins have killed us with for years. Everyone always complained about it and people kept wishing we'd get some players to play the game like that. Chris Getz is that player. He will probably get better, though never be a star. He does things the right way and can do the little things. He also adds some much needed speed to the roster. Now, though, despite having a repsectable rookie season, there are people complaining about him.

I just don't get it.

Nor do I. I didn't expect much more than a utility kinda-guy out of him but he's been better than that. Or if you wanna call him a utility guy he is a VERY good one.

While I understand all the luv for Chris Getz and agree he is also having a good rookie campaign this thread is really about Slayer and his incredible season and how that makes him one of the top 3 favorites for ROTY. I don't take anything about Getz's ability to do the little things and his tough attitude towards playing the game but can that be the subject of it's own thread? I know we get sidetracked on topics because they are have relavance to each other in some way but I hope to just bring out how great Slayer has been in just over 60 games as a professional MLB player and how I (many others agree as well) he is getting better and making a clear cut case for the award.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
Chris Getz is exactly the kind of player the Twins have killed us with for years. Everyone always complained about it and people kept wishing we'd get some players to play the game like that. Chris Getz is that player. He will probably get better, though never be a star. He does things the right way and can do the little things. He also adds some much needed speed to the roster. Now, though, despite having a repsectable rookie season, there are people complaining about him.

I just don't get it.

I don't get it either. I have said it many times before and I'll keep saying it---we just don't value our own enough.

Getz is exactly the type of player we need to mix in with the power guys. We are really getting a good balance in that offensive group.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
It's funny how the Slayer thing was all primed to take off and then Bacon swooped in out of nowhere to dominate

Wiki had his nickname as "Bacon" before Ozzie even mentioned him in a press-conference. He was heralded as Saint Gordon from the second he arrived, and eveyone thought Ozzie couldnt pronounce Beckham, I think he was just feeding or mocking all the the the surrounded his calling up.

I wonder if Black Jack still thinks it was a mistake to bring him up this early if he wasnt gonna play everyday. idiot

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 12:34 AM)
Kalapse,

Who would you compare Gordon to, if you had to?

His approach to hitting mirrors that of Derek Jeter though I could easily see him striking out less, walking more, stealing less bases but hitting for a bit more HR power than Derek as he fills out. He's a frighteningly good hitter.

QUOTE (Shamrock4Life @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
if they weren't playing slayer every day, then yes it would have been a mistake. but he is playing everyday and raking, so it wasn't a mistake.

that's the point.. Beckham has sat out what 2-3 games? Black Jack's rant was after a double-hearder and they sat Bacon for 1 of the games within a week of his call-up.

that's the point.. Beckham has sat out what 2-3 games? Black Jack's rant was after a double-hearder and they sat Bacon for 1 of the games within a week of his call-up.

The point was Ozzie was implying that he was not going to consistently play Beckham.

McDowell thought that was a mistake and felt that if Beckham was going to be on the MLB roster he had to play every day.

I dont really know how you can say McDowell is wrong because it appears that what Beckham needed was constant at bats so that he could over come his initial struggles.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 12:55 AM)
.311/.374/.486/.860 in 207 PA this season

.335/.396/.524/.920 in his last 193 PA (remove the first 4 games of his career)

.374/.416/.585/1.001 in 138 PA since his walkoff vs the Cubs

If Beckham continued to post the last line, then not only would he be ROY, but he should get strong consideration for MVP (assuming the Sox overtake the Tigers). Even at the pace in the middle, he'd deserve MVP votes.

I'm not sure who you can compare him to. He looks smallish to me to ever have 30 HR power. But at 6 feet 190, he's close enough to Utley (who has topped 30 HRs twice at 6'1" 190), so I wouldn't be surprised. Shorter than Jeter by 3 inches, but almost as heavy. Jeter posted .315/.370/.430/.800 in his rookie year after a late call up the year before. Beckham is already past that without the preview. (Utley didn't blossom until his 3rd year.)

This kid is freakishly good.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)

I just don't get it.

The Twins play on turf in a park not known for HRs. Thus, they kill us at their ballpark. Fortunately, they are dumb enough to build and outdoor ball park that will open next year and completely negate the advantages they have at home now. I expect the Twins to drop off significantly next year and for a while until they can retool themselves.

But, aside from ball parks, the key offensive numbers do not lie. How many runs does Getz create per game? 4.84. That ranks him ahead of only two Sox regulars -- the banged up Carlos Quentin (4.59 RC/game), who won't stay down there for long (he led the Sox in RC/game last year at 7.67), and Alexei Ramirez (4.57 RC/game). Of course, RC is the one stat that takes into account all of a player's offensive contributions, including stolen bases and stolen base efficiency.

If you compare Getz to the other AL 2Bs, 8 of the 10 guys with enough ABs to qualify are better than Getz's 4.84 RC/game. The only two who aren't are Jose Lopez with Seattle and Placido Polanco with the Tigers. And when you include non-qualified guys, Getz ranks 13th, and only one of the guys ahead of him should be taken off the list because he really hasn't played enough. So, in a 14 team league, Chris Getz ranks about 12th in offensive output for 2Bs. He's not so far behind that I think he's really hurting our club. But he's not helping our offense either.

On the fielding side, Getz appears to be holding his own. He's not a gold glover, but there are clearly worse 2Bs in the field. Looking at the numbers I'd place him somewhere above the middle, perhaps in the top third.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
He did exactly what most rookies do, who succeeed later. He started hot (April), and pitchers adjusted to him (May). The question with rookies is usually, after the first big slump, how do they recover? That is the sign of future success. And the fact that he did decent in June and great in July, to me, says he is likely to have success. I can see him being a .300-ish hitter consistently, .350 OBP territory, some good doubles numbers, good speed, high steal rate, and good defense at second. I'll take that from a second baseman.

He seems like he could have a similar numbers to Mark Grudzielanek, more toward the latter of his career. As bad as he looks some times, he looks just as good other times. Once we realize that he is never going to be an all-star type player, but rather a guy who can help a team in all facets of the game, we can finally appreciate his game. To me, he is the perfect No. 9 hitter; a guy who gives you strong at-bats at the bottom of the order, gives you a lot of speed and can really turn over a lineup. His bunting leaves a lot left to desired and he could stand to walk more, but he has been a very solid player for us in his rookie year. He is the kind of player who continues to get better with each passing year.