We love you Gordon, oh yes we do

chisoxfan09

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 01:17 PM)
Beckham's August line:

.467/.467/.933/1.400

Why haven't they just declared him MVP, GG and Cy Young winner yet?

Duh he hasn't pitched yet. He's been too busy finding homes for orphans in his spare time to work on pitching. Not that he needs to, he just doesn't want anyone thinking he's a slacker.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Stocking @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 03:23 AM)
Gordon Beckham is becoming what Hawk always thought Alex Gordon would be. Its amazing how lucky we got to get Beckham at eight. Prospects are such a crap shoot, I say crown him.

If the 2008 draft was redone today, not only would Beckham have gone much higher but D2, Hudson, and DCarter would have been way up there too - maybe not first round, but definitely up there. That draft was sooooo desperately needed.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 06:19 PM)
Oh really?

• they're both baseball players
  • they're both dudes
  • they both have an E in their surnames

DISPUTE THAT!!!

Wow, Critic. I've been had. I’m beginning to question whether everything I've ever believed in is a lie.

Edited by Thunderbolt

So I am in line at 7-11 and I look down at the back page of the Chicago Sun-Times and the headline is

Don't Call Him Slayer

Bulls***, bacon is what you call the fat kid that can't hit a lick, think Ogilvey without the attitude.

Slayer is the bad Mo Fo that gets pitchers off the game so the AARP eligible RF can get something to hit or the prancing CF can win games. A man that strikes fear into otherwise fearless men.

I am not good at downloading images but Joe Cowley with an f'u to Soxtalk

Here is the link

Gordon Beckham's hair refused to comment for this story.

If it could, what stories it could tell.

» Click to enlarge image

While Gordon Beckham is a South Sider, his roots are still all Georgia, meaning he's a Southern gentleman.

(AP)

» Click to enlarge image

Gordon Beckham the local ladies really liked his "Southern swoop" when he was turning heads at Georgia.

(AP)

PHOTO GALLERY

Gordon Beckham

RELATED STORIES

Sox give nightmare performance

Colon missing again, but he's not missed

Three takes on the White Sox

White Sox recap

On deck: Indians at White Sox

Inside the Sox: Updates from our blog

As a matter of fact, it is the only part of Beckham's life that has not been bothered in the last few weeks as Beckham-mania transforms from the innocence of spring-training hype all the way to center stage of a pennant race in the Second City.

Reporters have shaken the Beckham family tree, calling anyone who falls out for an interview, as well as his numerous coaches from Little League to college -- basically, anyone remotely associated with the 2008 first-round draft pick turned White Sox third baseman/rock star almost overnight.

The person most affected by all of this?

Poor Chris Getz, who has watched his locker area next to Beckham become a holding tank for media waiting in the home clubhouse.

A usual day for Getz is to get dressed and get out of the way, usually walking off shaking his head and laughing.

''The reason I'm laughing is, obviously, so many people are in there to talk to him that they're filtering off into my locker, which is humorous,'' Getz said. ''I feel kind of bad for him ... well, I don't feel too bad because he's doing great, but the kid is just getting hounded.

''It's not his makeup to say no. That's kind of a tribute to him because it shows that innocence that he still has.''

It's that innocence that only adds to his likable persona.

Case in point: How many 22-year-olds can explain their way out of supposedly being nicknamed ''Slayer'' for his prowess with the ladies? Call it Southern charm, but Beckham has done just that over the last week when it was first brought up on ESPN's ''The Scott Van Pelt Show.''

''Every time I hear someone say 'Slayer,' I know what it means,'' Beckham said. ''For some guys that nickname might be great, and they think that's hilarious. But for me ... I mean, I appreciate people trying to come up with my nickname, but that one is a bit too risque, not real accurate or true.''

Not that Beckham doesn't appreciate the ladies. He's admittedly ''single and looking'' and even has a crush on a certain young actress who recently became single.

His Facebook page has maxed out at 5,000 friends, with date requests and wedding proposals blowing up the text screen of his cell phone on a daily basis.

''I get a pretty good amount of those,'' he said. ''I respond sometimes, I usually just thank them, maybe put a smiley face, something light.''

In other words, something that leaves them saying, ''Ahhhhhhh, he's so nice.''

Nice is important to Beckham. While he is now a South Sider, his roots are still all Georgia. That means being respectful, a Southern gentleman.

''Very Southern gentleman,'' Beckham said. ''Let me put it straight: If a girl takes me to meet her parents, it's over, they're in love with me. That means calling her dad, 'Sir,' all that, but both parents will love me.''

Basically, he's the antithesis of a former highly touted Sox prospect, Brian Anderson, who would just as soon put the moves on a date's mom than meet her. But Beckham, he's from a different school. And the media and fans are eating it up.

''[The attention's] not overwhelming,'' Beckham said. ''I need to remind myself that I have to stay rested. I have to be ready to play the game. But to me it's all part of the process. I'm just following the line, just marching.''

Which brings us back to Beckham's hair.

Yes, his hair has grabbed a lot of attention. It's full and bold, as if it's insisting, ''This is my damn spot, right here,'' on his forehead.

But his hair is also sad. Beckham has changed nothing about himself in his climb to stardom, except his hair. He's living a lie. The short cut he has now is not what he's comfortable with.

''I had the Southern swoop, but I cut it because, well, I just wasn't sure how it would play out,'' Beckham said. ''I have no clue why, but my hair has been a hot topic. I will say that it would be a bigger hit if I had the Southern swoop I used to have. The ladies down [south] really liked it.''

Unfortunately, the media still can't get the hair's side of the story.

Not for a lack of trying ... just ask Getz.

to the story but headline is priceless

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
So I am in line at 7-11 and I look down at the back page of the Chicago Sun-Times and the headline is

Don't Call Him Slayer

Bulls***, bacon is what you call the fat kid that can't hit a lick, think Ogilvey without the attitude.

Slayer is the bad Mo Fo that gets pitchers off the game so the AARP eligible RF can get something to hit or the prancing CF can win games. A man that strikes fear into otherwise fearless men.

I am not good at downloading images but Joe Cowley with an f'u to Soxtalk

Yeah. God forbid we don't call someone something he clearly doesn't like and is uncomfortable with. I can't wait for it to go away.

By the way, this quote from Cowley is, well, interesting.

Basically, he's the antithesis of a former highly touted Sox prospect, Brian Anderson, who would just as soon put the moves on a date's mom than meet her. But Beckham, he's from a different school. And the media and fans are eating it up.

Trading Beckham worst mistake I've made

I made a mistake. A big mistake. And it's one of those things that I don't know if I'll ever fully get over. I can't sleep. I can't eat. Each day it's a struggle to even get out of bed, take a shower and get dressed. I'm mired in misery.

It has nothing to do with my wife, my family or my job. I didn't wrap my car around a light pole or burn down my house. Depending on your perspective, it's worse.

[+] Enlarge

Scott Boehm/Getty Images

For those fantasy baseball managers who sold Gordon Beckham, Wayne Drehs sympathizes.

I traded White Sox third baseman Gordon Beckham.

I did it a month ago, back when his batting average was around .220 and the kid looked overmatched. Sure, I thought he'd eventually be good -- but not this season. I figured Beckham would bat .260, and knock out 10 homers and 40 RBIs at best.

And so, like I did last year in my fantasy baseball league with Padres left fielder Chase Headley and the year before with Cubs relief pitcher Carlos Marmol, I packaged the hotshot rookie to a team beneath me in the standings in exchange for a few high-priced superstars I thought could carry me to the top of the standings.

In a 10-team, 5X5 keeper league, the overall deal was this: Beckham ($1), Cubs third baseman Aramis Ramirez ($31), Rockies third baseman Ian Stewart ($1), Blue Jays relief pitcher Jason Frasor ($17) and Marlins right fielder Jeremy Hermida ($1) for Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder ($33), Dodgers center fielder Matt Kemp ($8), Mariners relief pitcher David Aardsma ($10) and White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko ($1).

At the time, pretty much everyone in the league agreed it was robbery. One owner in our league had quite the colorful, not-so-family-friendly reaction while congratulating me on my imminent climb up the standings.

But over the course of the past month, a funny thing has happened. The guy below me in the standings? The guy who tanked his season and traded two of his best players with an eye toward next year? He's now in third place, where I used to be. And my team is in a free fall, plummeting to sixth with no bottom in sight.

The reason? Ramirez, who hit .333 in July with five homers and 14 RBIs and of course Beckham, who went .330 with three homers, 18 RBIs and three stolen bases during the month. The Ramirez thing I don't mind. I didn't believe he'd be the same with the bum shoulder, I thought the Cubs were rushing him back and I'm still not sure he'll stay healthy for the rest of the season.

Scott Van Pelt

Gordon Beckham talks about his success as a rookie and explains why his career goal is to appear in a SportsCenter commercial with Scott Van Pelt.

More Podcasts »

But Beckham? That's the one that keeps me awake at night. That's the reason I've lost interest in deep-dish pizza. Not only did the trade send my team spiraling down the standings this year, but I could have owned Beckham below his rotisserie market value for at least the next four seasons. He could have been one of those fantasy cornerstones, like the team in our league that has Rays third baseman Evan Longoria for $5. Instead, Beckham gets to star for someone else.

In retrospect, I should have consulted with friend and ESPN fantasy guru Eric Karabell. I should have followed the lead of Sam Walker, the Wall Street Journal writer who interviewed players for fantasy advice while writing the book "Fantasyland." I could have asked Beckham if something like this was coming. I could have asked manager Ozzie Guillen or general manager Kenny Williams what the kid's ceiling truly was. But I didn't.

And now, everywhere I turn, I'm reminded of the mistake I made. Over the weekend it was Tim McCarver talking about Beckham's poise and ability to hit the ball where it's pitched. On Monday, it was a front-page story in the Chicago Tribune, comparing Beckham's first 52 games with Brewers left fielder Ryan Braun, Longoria and five other former first-round draft picks. Then it was hearing ESPN1000 baseball reporter Bruce Levine tell the guys on the "Afternoon Saloon" that he spoke to Yankees third-baseman Alex Rodriguez and said Beckham reminds A-Rod of a "young Paul Molitor."

Tuesday came word that Beckham had been named AL Rookie of the Month for July. And on Wednesday, ESPNChicago colleague Jon Greenberg told me he was profiling Beckham and, after meeting the kid, Greenberg came away impressed.

Every day there is something. Every ounce of giddy excitement that Sox fans feel equates to another fist-in-the-gut for me. I try to tell myself that this, too, shall pass. Next year there will be another rookie, another can't-miss prospect. But I can't go there. Not yet. For now, Beckham is the one who got away.

So until my appetite returns and I remember how to fall asleep, I'm on a Sox strike. No games, no articles, no message boards, no nothing. It's a Sox-free life. Now excuse me. I need to go take a shower.

Interesting little article. The attention he has been grabbing from the outside-of-Chicago baseball world is really starting to take off.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
Yeah. God forbid we don't call someone something he clearly doesn't like and is uncomfortable with. I can't wait for it to go away.

By the way, this quote from Cowley is, well, interesting.

I'm with you on this. I think calling him Slayer is juvenile at best. The nickname Bacon screams of ethnic stereotyping, also. And all the HOF talk? Reminds me of the Cub love for Wood/Pryor. Embarrassing.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 08:49 AM)
Uh, where did he do that? That article was clearly meant to be light-hearted. the only pot shot he took at anyone was at BA.

Hah, Sonix....think about the reference....I basically referred to the same thing you did in your post below mine...

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 08:53 AM)
I'm with you on this. I think calling him Slayer is juvenile at best. The nickname Bacon screams of ethnic stereotyping, also. And all the HOF talk? Reminds me of the Cub love for Wood/Pryor. Embarrassing.

I would think with how long you've been here that you of all people would be able to recognize sarcasm and joking. Nobody is seroius about the HOF talk right now. Well, except maybe the guy named GBecks4theHall or whatever.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
I would think with how long you've been here that you of all people would be able to recognize sarcasm and joking. Nobody is seroius about the HOF talk right now. Well, except maybe the guy named GBecks4theHall or whatever.

It's still embarrassing.