Films Thread

juddling

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
Currently at 41% at Rotten Tomatoes.

I read reviews from a few movie bloggers that seem to have similar tastes to me. Rotten tomatoes does nothing for me, fanboys can skew it as much as haters

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
Just pointing out a well known and widely used barometer.

pfffft

Its not like im going to see it in the theater, but I wont avoid it like the plague when it comes out like I thought I would. Like the Fantastic 4 movies

As stated above, RT and IMDB are both too filled with fanboys and haters to really get a good idea of how much you will enjoy a movie.

That's why I've given up on mainstream critics and just do the crazy thing....go see it for myself if it sounds interesting.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
As stated above, RT and IMDB are both too filled with fanboys and haters to really get a good idea of how much you will enjoy a movie.

That's why I've given up on mainstream critics and just do the crazy thing....go see it for myself if it sounds interesting.

The main site that I read now is screenrant.com, and the owner of the site has just been abusing the film, the director, the trailers, the choice of actors. And he really enjoyed the movie, gave it 3.5 out of 5 stars, which makes me think that there is a chance I will like it. He doesnt act like the film is the second coming, he said it is just a good summer popcorn action flick. I can accept that

another site I frequent for movies is www.darkhorizons.com, and this is what the owner of the site said in his opening paragraph of his review

Dismissed by many early in the year for its shamelessly cheesy publicity materials, the surprise of 'Joe' is its consistency. In spite of all the silliness of the inherent premise and unfolding narrative, the film always treats itself and situations with the gravity of a Tolstoy novel - the characters never blatantly wink at the camera in a way they did so well in director Stephen Sommers' first two films ("Deep Rising," "The Mummy") and so terribly in his next two ("The Mummy Returns," "Van Helsing"). Even the often annoying Marlon Wayans tones it down to deliver the film's one attempt at light-heartedness, in this case banal flirting banter with fellow soldier Rachel Nichols.

I know, the Tolstoy comment is overboard, but I have seen this guy rip apart some movies that are expected to be much better than GI Joe

Edited by KyYlE23

"popcorn movie" is the cheapest, and stupidest way to describe a movie.

When Jose Contreras walks 5 guys, only goes 3 innings and the Sox lose, nobody who actually went to the game would describe as a good "peanut and cracker jack" game. They may have actually enjoyed themselves, but common sense and people who are snobs about the quality of a product know it's a s***ty game.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
"popcorn movie" is the cheapest, and stupidest way to describe a movie.

When Jose Contreras walks 5 guys, only goes 3 innings and the Sox lose, nobody who actually went to the game would describe as a good "peanut and cracker jack" game. They may have actually enjoyed themselves, but common sense and people who are snobs about the quality of a product know it's a s***ty game.

good to know, thanks

Watched The Kite Runner earlier. Really good movie...I can't remember if someone from this site told me to watch it before, or if it was a Netflix suggestion. Either way, I thought it was great.

Since it's way too hot and muggy to bother going out, I'll be making it a movie day/night. Plan on watching Gandhi and Public Enemies later.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)
Besides a couple cool scenes, GI Joe was a terrible movie. Poorly acted, and the script was really bad. And really the CGI wasn't that good either.

I don't know what it is about CGI, but most of the time it looks incredibly fake to me. A good example is I Am Legend. Besides being a terrible movie it its own right, the monsters looked like cartoons. This was supposed to be a movie with a big budget.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
I don't know what it is about CGI, but most of the time it looks incredibly fake to me. A good example is I Am Legend. Besides being a terrible movie it its own right, the monsters looked like cartoons. This was supposed to be a movie with a big budget.

I agree the monsters looked awful, but I liked I Am Legend.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)
Besides a couple cool scenes, GI Joe was a terrible movie. Poorly acted, and the script was really bad. And really the CGI wasn't that good either.

Thank god for you sir. G.I. Joe is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Michael Bay saw G.I. Joe and finally experienced what its like to watch a Michael Bay film.

0/5 bouncing boobies.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
Thank god for you sir. G.I. Joe is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Michael Bay saw G.I. Joe and finally experienced what its like to watch a Michael Bay film.

Perfect.