Sox Acquire Jake Peavy for Richard, Poreda, Russell, Carter

Heads22

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
Hopefully this will get you and many others to stop calling the Sox cheap.

You got a mouse in your pocket I never said they were cheap, I said they do not always put the money back into the product like they should, 2 different things!

While it's true that Peavy benefited from pitching in a pitchers park as well as pitching in the NL, one thing to remember is he is still only 27 years old. He still has a little more time to actually improve which may result in him being almost as effective in the AL as he has been in the NL. Think of it as a 27 year old prospect who has just been promoted from AAAA to the Major Leagues.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:39 PM)
Maybe he thought about it, spoke a little more with Linebrink and such, talked it over with his family, and was presented with an opportunity again. It's possible.

This move was literally made about 30 seconds prior to the deal. While KW was on the phone with Axelrod, Axelrod was running to Peavy's house and Hahn was calling MLB. This all from Schuster BTW. Sounds like Peavy really was shocked the 1st time this trade came through.

I hope this stops the "the White Sox are an org nobody wants anything to do with" BS. Peavy negotiated a NTC and probably took a little less money to resign with the Padres. I don't mind at all that he waited a little bit.

the top 4 in our rotation could be a good selling point to a veteran FA if money is basically equal

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
Hopefully this will get you and many others to stop calling the Sox cheap.

It does show that they weren't being straight when they said they were right up against the budget, so if Peavy said no again and they did nothing, cheap would have be appropriate.

I'm surprised no one has ripped the Sox for making this deal for an injured player without a physical.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)
While it's true that Peavy benefited from pitching in a pitchers park as well as pitching in the NL, one thing to remember is he is still only 27 years old. He still has a little more time to actually improve which may result in him being almost as effective in the AL as he has been in the NL. Think of it as a 27 year old prospect who has just been promoted from AAAA to the Major Leagues.

Also, I know the "Cooper can fix 'em" joke gets old, but Cooper is a really good pitching coach. I'm sure he and Peavy will talk about ways to decrease his flyballs, etc...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
It does show that they weren't being straight when they said they were right up against the budget, so if Peavy said no again and they did nothing, cheap would have be appropriate.

I'm surprised no one has ripped the Sox for making this deal for an injured player without a physical.

I'm sure that will happen, meaning a physical. I'm sure they'll want to check out the ankle and run some tests on his arm since it hasn't been scouted in a few months

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:07 PM)
I hope this stops the "the White Sox are an org nobody wants anything to do with" BS. Peavy negotiated a NTC and probably took a little less money to resign with the Padres. I don't mind at all that he waited a little bit.

the top 4 in our rotation could be a good selling point to a veteran FA if money is basically equal

Actually, who knows if he gets hurt if he says yes initially, and if he doesn't, the White Sox are probably a couple games better than where they are now.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
Unbelievable. Kenny haters need to retire 4 life. This changes the entire complexion of the division.

Absolutely. Say what you want about his player development, but the dude is second-to-none when it comes to getting outstanding value in trades.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)

Peavy is only a year and a half older than Clayton Richard.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
yeah, but I'm definitely on the "scrap this year" bandwagon if there's any remote concern about it

Yeah, and it's not like trading Richard and Poreda is tantamount to throwing in the towel this season anyway.

And I'd be shocked if one of JD/Thome isn't re-signed this winter.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
KW says he hopes Peavy will make his first start at the end of the month in either NY or BOS...says he's really only got to fill 3 starts due to days off.

I'm on the Torres bandwagon for those 3 starts.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
Absolutely. Say what you want about his player development, but the dude is second-to-none when it comes to getting outstanding value in trades.

I don't know about that yet. Obviously, if Peavy returns to form, this is an absolute steal personnel-wise, but who knows when that will be. He has always wanted an ace, that's what he goes for. Wells, Colon, Garcia, Peavy twice. Those are just the ones he got done. He's probably asked about every ace in baseball.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:13 PM)
Best of luck to guys like Richard too. Gotta imagine he's got a chance to put up pretty decent numbers at PETCO.

I like this deal for both teams.

Ditto. The Padres have a very nice future core. Getting two pitchers and one with a ton of upside in Carter (not to mention not eating salary they dumped) really helps them in the future.