Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 08:41 AM)
The problem is, the Sox could end up with too many RHBs by 2010 and not enough lefties.

Yeah, that is the one issue that concerns me here.

This would excite me a lot more if he was a left handed bat.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 07:30 AM)
I agree with you. The odds are fairly long. Teams put multiple players on the waiver list, which keys them into who might have interest at a later date. Then, you also have the no trade clause that Rios would have to waive. Toronto may just want to get out from the contract. If that's the case, Rios would have to approve it. Odds are, they'll pull him back off of waivers.

I hope we are all wrong and Rios is playing for us next week.

Speculation up here in Canada is that BJ ownership needs to reduce payroll. This would be an easy way - especially since Rios has really become public enemy #1 to a degree with his poor performance and public issues.

I'd expect the Jays to move him to us - and if it's by trade I'd be shocked if Rios wasn't overjoyed to leave.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)
Any concrete evidence that it actually is the White Sox? The ESPN article says that it's "likely" the Sox.

The teams cannot confirm it.

So any concrete evidence would have to be leaked, and therefore, probably still characterized as "likely."

Seems like it would be in KW's character to deny this if it wasn't true, however.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:05 AM)
The teams cannot confirm it.

So any concrete evidence would have to be leaked, and therefore, probably still characterized as "likely."

The only other group that even could confirm it would be MLB, and they aren't going to say anything anyway.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 03:55 AM)
I think Thome is brought back next year. Nothing anything anybody has said has suggested it, but putting in a waiver claim for Rios brings out a lot of writing between the lines.

At the very least, it says that Dye isn't getting a multi-year extension. And I'm perfectly fine with that. Dude's going to be 36 in January and can't play RF that well anymore. With this likely being his last chance for an eight-figure contract, I imagine that he'll want a three-year deal. No thanks.

Thome is older and riskier, but he'll be a heck of a lot cheaper. Keeping that left-handed bat in the lineup would also be nice.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 05:14 AM)
Probably not on the 40 man, either.

The Sox web site lists Fields on the 40-man. If that means that he'd have to go through waivers, he won't make it through. Can they get around with with designating him as a PTBNL?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 06:35 AM)
The only reason there are any odds at all is because this is JP Ricciardi. Any GM in his right mind, under these particular circumstances, would take advantage of this unique opportunity and get rid of Rios. It is not going to be easy trying to deal a kid in the offseason who is coming off a down year, a rapidly increasing salary, and is rumored to be a malcontent - all in a poor economy.

My guess is if he waits until the offseason, the best JP is going to do is receive some marginal prospects, all while paying $20 million of that salary just to move him.

Agreed. Ricciardi is an arrogant ass, and completely f'ed up by not dealing Halladay at the deadline. He'll probably never get the value that he could've gotten for Halladay last Friday. Maybe he learned his lesson and will be more willing to deal Rios. But I wouldn't count on it.

I have a feeling that Ricciardi will have to eat about $20 million of Rios' deal whether he trades him this weekend or in December. That's just too much money for a guy with the tools to be great, but has yet to be more than really good.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (SoxnGiants @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
Speculation up here in Canada is that BJ ownership needs to reduce payroll. This would be an easy way - especially since Rios has really become public enemy #1 to a degree with his poor performance and public issues.

I'd expect the Jays to move him to us - and if it's by trade I'd be shocked if Rios wasn't overjoyed to leave.

It makes a lot of sense for Riccardi to try to work a trade for Rios and if that fails just pass along his contract if the Blue Jays don't want to pay it. Rios hasn't played up to the hype for almost 2 years now, they might want out of that contract. I don't think their fanbase would be too opposed to it, I'm not there, but it never has appeared to me Rios was a cult-like figure in Toronto. If the team has any budget concerns at all, if I was Riccardi, I think I would move him on whether its the White Sox making the claim or some other team. The Blue Jays have been criticized for giving him that contract, and this is a Get out of Jail Free card being handed to him, although I'm sure they still see the talent and it would be kind of hard to let it go for nothing.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)
if the Sox do trade for him,couldn't they just say a player to be named later and then that player wouldn't have to pass through waivers? I really think Ricciardi is an idiot an will pull him back.

This!

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:20 AM)
I have loved Rios from the first time I saw him play against us. Yes, man crush. However, something tells us this will just not happen.

I hope though. :gosoxretro:

I'm not sure why. Rios is .252 / .295 / .432 against the White Sox. 5 home runs in 36 games.

Rios career splits

I fervently hope this does not happen.

Rios against AL Central teams, FYI:

Detroit: .279 / .321 / .465 - .787 OPS

Minnesota: .316 / .326 / .496 - .822 OPS

Kansas City: .325 / .400 / .447 - .847 OPS

Cleveland: .230 / .296 / .401 - .697 OPS

OPS vs. playoff teams:

NYY - .789

BOS - .954 (by far his best)

LAA - .658

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)
if the Sox do trade for him,couldn't they just say a player to be named later and then that player wouldn't have to pass through waivers? I really think Ricciardi is an idiot an will pull him back.

Ricciardi is also probably in his last couple months as Toronto's GM. I wonder how that will play into it. He may be desperate to save his job, and getting $60 million or so off the books would be a pretty good start.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
That's a s***ton of money for a not very good player. I swear if Pods got benched I'd be pissed off.

I tend to be in the same boat as you. Rios seems to be all potential with average results.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
That's a s***ton of money for a not very good player. I swear if Pods got benched I'd be pissed off.

He hasn't been very good for almost 2 years now and is 28, a time when he should be starting to peak. Whether a change of scenery can help get him on track is a big question. The upside is he's Carlos Beltran Jr. for a reasonable sum for quite a while. The downside is that he plays like he has been and you are stuck paying him what you pay far more productive players for several years and probably won't have an opportunity to move him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
He hasn't been very good for almost 2 years now and is 28, a time when he should be starting to peak. Whether a change of scenery can help get him on track is a big question. The upside is he's Carlos Beltran Jr. for a reasonable sum for quite a while. The downside is that he plays like he has been and you are stuck paying him what you pay far more productive players for several years and probably won't have an opportunity to move him.

Walker can fix him? :huh

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:49 AM)
Oh man. I'm not going to read 420 plus posts. Not sure if I like it or not. Depends on what we would have to give up for him I suppose.

There is a good chance the only thing it's going to cost us is the waiver fee and the size of Rios' contract. The Sox aren't giving up any top prospects or heck, maybe not any mid level prospects.