Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)
Imagine the fanbase reaction to letting go of Rios for nothing....

That's a good question. Fans in Toronto have seemed pretty indifferent for a while now, but if you could sell it as helping the team in the long run, I don't think there would be much damage. I think most fans know his contract if he continues to play like he has for a couple of seasons, isn't ideal.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 08:40 PM)
The Jays have the choice to negotiate a deal with only 1 team right now, or spend ~$2M more and keep Rios until the offseason and negotiate a deal with any team interested

And if they wait and Rios doesn't play much better, they either will have to take back a lot of money or eat some of the contract. They dumped Rolen's contract, if they dump this one, Ricciardi is going to be looking a lot better to his superiors.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
And if they wait and Rios doesn't play much better, they either will have to take back a lot of money or eat some of the contract. They dumped Rolen's contract, if they dump this one, Ricciardi is going to be looking a lot better to his superiors.

I don't believe Rios' contract needs to be "dumped". Vernon Wells' contract would qualify, but Rios is in his prime, an excellent defensive outfielder, and a good offensive player as well who just happens to be having some bad BABIP luck this year. Rios is still owed a lot of money, but the contract is fair. The only thing working against Ricciardi is the financial stability of other teams prohibiting his potential trade partners

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE (3E8 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)
I don't believe Rios' contract needs to be "dumped". Vernon Wells' contract would qualify, but Rios is in his prime, an excellent defensive outfielder, and a good offensive player as well who just happens to be having some bad BABIP luck this year. Rios is still owed a lot of money, but the contract is fair. The only thing working against Ricciardi is the financial stability of other teams potentially prohibiting his potential trade partners

Its fair this year when he makes $6 million, but if he continues to perform like he has this year and last, the $12 million a year he's going to average the next 5 years is excessive. When you can get guys like Abreu for 1 year $5 million in today's world, $60 million owed to Alex Rios is too much, unless he starts playing to his potential.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)
Imagine the fanbase reaction to letting go of Rios for nothing....

As opposed to all of the impact prospects that a good-but-not-great player with over $60 million left on his contract will garner them? Who is going to give up a halfway decent prospect to take on a contract like that? If Ricciardi wants good prospects, he's going to have to offer cash in return.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 07:44 PM)
Doesn't sound like we are getting him.

KW always plays the middle ground. Reading his quote it could go either way. In fact looking at his contract status, Rios seems to be a player KW would pursue.

2009 remains: 2 million

2010- 9.7 million

2011- 12 million

2012- 12 million

2013- 12.5 million

2014- 12.5 million

I'm pretty sure he will be 32 when his contract expires. So we would be getting him at the prime of his career. Take that with Beckham, Quentin, Ramirez, Getz we would have a stellar new core going forward entering their primes.

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:37 PM)
It is now being reported that Rios has a no trade clause, and a no trade clause overrides waivers... according to Will Carroll.

Not sure how that works... but more and more things are pointing to Rios staying in Canada.

Why would Rios want to stay? He can be dropped into a pennant race, or stay in 4th place in a city where he already has had some problems.

With the possibility of Rios coming in, anyone else concerned about the lack of left-handed hitters on this team, especially going into next year? Considering both Thome and Pods may not be back next season coupled with Rios' possible presence, the only projected left-handed hitters would be Getz and AJ, neither of which hit for power. Couple that with the fact that the closest position prospect hits from the right side (Flowers), this seems disconcerting.

QUOTE (nyck170 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 04:54 AM)
With the possibility of Rios coming in, anyone else concerned about the lack of left-handed hitters on this team, especially going into next year? Considering both Thome and Pods may not be back next season coupled with Rios' possible presence, the only projected left-handed hitters would be Getz and AJ, neither of which hit for power. Couple that with the fact that the closest position prospect hits from the right side (Flowers), this seems disconcerting.

I'd bring Thome back next year, partly for this reason but more so because he's been our best hitter this season. Well actually I'd try a flip a prospect or two to the Nats for Adam Dunn, but bringing back Thome would be plan B.

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:57 PM)
His contract is worth LESS in Canada, he should want to come here :)

All he has to do is approve a trade . And i highly doubt he would reject a deal where he goes to a hitter friendly ballpark.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:21 PM)
All he has to do is approve a trade . And i highly doubt he would reject a deal where he goes to a hitter friendly ballpark.

Or a competitive organization that's run by a competent GM.

KW certainly did try to downplay this...but I would be shocked if Rios wasn't deal to the WSox come Tuesday night.

Toronto put him on waivers for a reason and Riccardi knows he blew it with the Halladay sweeps. Riccardi doesn't want to look like a joke again by asking for fair value in regards to Rios on this. I believe ownership has A LOT to do with Rios being dealt.

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:37 PM)
It is now being reported that Rios has a no trade clause, and a no trade clause overrides waivers... according to Will Carroll.

Not sure how that works... but more and more things are pointing to Rios staying in Canada.

What exactly tells you Rios is going to deny the trade?

Maybe it isn't the White Sox: KW on whitesox.com

"You know how many times we've been sitting here and we [hear], 'Most likely it's the White Sox. They are going to do this, they are going to do that, the White Sox are involved in trade discussions with this guy, that guy,'" said Williams, holding court with the media prior to Saturday night's game against Cleveland. "And I'm sitting at home and I call [assistant general manager] Rick [Hahn] and I say, 'Hey, have you had conversations with team so and so? No, I haven't, so let's call [White Sox chairman] Jerry [Reinsdorf] to see if he had any.'"

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 02:04 AM)

"You know how many times we've been sitting here and we [hear], 'Most likely it's the White Sox. They are going to do this, they are going to do that, the White Sox are involved in trade discussions with this guy, that guy,'" said Williams, holding court with the media prior to Saturday night's game against Cleveland. "And I'm sitting at home and I call [assistant general manager] Rick [Hahn] and I say, 'Hey, have you had conversations with team so and so? No, I haven't, so let's call [White Sox chairman] Jerry [Reinsdorf] to see if he had any.'"

He CAN'T say anything about it. Do people expect him to just say "yeah I'm goin after Rios, just got off the phone with JP."

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 02:27 AM)
He CAN'T say anything about it. Do people expect him to just say "yeah I'm goin after Rios, just got off the phone with JP."

I don't see why he just couldn't flat out deny it if that were the case...which KW is clearly not doing.

Its clear the cat is out of the bag here and its the WSox that claimed Rios.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 01:42 AM)
What exactly tells you Rios is going to deny the trade?

I guess I can’t do anything if I get traded, and I’m going to have to go to wherever I get traded to. But that, at this point, I’m thinking that I’m staying here. That’s the way I have to think about it,” Rios told reporters.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=cbc-...c&type=lgns

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 02:04 AM)

He isn't allowed to say he made the claim, or if he didn't make the claim. Your not allowed to speak about it to the media. KW is doing what he has to do just tip toe around the questions.

QUOTE (rockren @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 02:43 AM)
I guess I can’t do anything if I get traded, and I’m going to have to go to wherever I get traded to. But that, at this point, I’m thinking that I’m staying here. That’s the way I have to think about it,” Rios told reporters.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=cbc-...c&type=lgns

Thats about the exact opposite of him saying he will deny it. He is saying that he has to assume he will be a Jay and can't think about all that other crap.

Jesus man, stop reading so much into all these bs quotes from these guys. There is absolutely nothing "between the lines" in any of these quotes, its just standard issue fabricated one liners. Nothing more.