Is 2009 really a wash?

chisoxfan09

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)
While others have focused on the "2009 is a wash" part...take note of the other thing. 2010...this team could be really, really good.

I am extremely excited for 2010. A HEALTHY Peavy, a HEALTHY Quentin, and Rios with a fresh start, on top of the infusion of youth (I.E. Beckham, Getz).. this team could be deadly. The only thing I think we need at this point is a 5th starter (duh!), but we do have options there in-house, or some cheap FA pickups. 2010 is going to be a fun year to be a White Sox fan.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
In with the Save!

Thank you for saving this forums credibility.

That really was a horrible post.

Worst post in the history of soxtalk? Very possible.

Whatever. I truly just don't think this team has what it takes to win a playoff series. Maybe saying I hope they don't get there was a little illogical, but really, it's not gonna do much for us (other than 1 or 2 games worth of revenue). The moves we've made this year are very clearly targeted for 2010 and beyond, as right now we are missing 2 spots in the rotation. But I'm okay with that. Next year, things will be much better (baring any more Quentin-esque injuries). Youth, players in their prime (not passed them), and a fresh start will really do wonders.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
Whatever. I truly just don't think this team has what it takes to win a playoff series. Maybe saying I hope they don't get there was a little illogical, but really, it's not gonna do much for us (other than 1 or 2 games worth of revenue). The moves we've made this year are very clearly targeted for 2010 and beyond, as right now we are missing 2 spots in the rotation. But I'm okay with that. Next year, things will be much better (baring any more Quentin-esque injuries). Youth, players in their prime (not passed them), and a fresh start will really do wonders.

I would believe you if Peavy and Rios were acquired in the off-season.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
Yes. That Cardinal team was at one point 16 games above .500. Were the 2009 White Sox ever 16 games above .500? Not even close. That's why you can't compare the two teams.

That makes no sense. I don't care where they were . The end of the season is the only thing that matters, 83 wins.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
I would believe you if Peavy and Rios were acquired in the off-season.

They added Jose and Freddy in 04 and while they wanted to contend then, they were clearly part of the retooling process for the 05 Sox that went onto win the world series. This isn't the first time Kenny has made a move that might help the club now, but really was made to help them the next few years.

I do think Kenny knows the club can contend though and there is no denying that these moves should help the Sox this year as well. But getting a guy that might only make 5 starts down the stretch this season and taking on over 50 million in salaries in that move (Peavy) screams of something being done more for the long-term interest of the club (if it helps the club now, awesome).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
Wait, who is this? I don't remember ever seeing this handle, but you've been around since 2003.

It says it right there under his avatar, he was also Danks Fan until very recently.

I will reiterate that anyone who wants to say this thread sucks or comments of such magnitude will have their accounts suspended. It isn't up to an individual to decide what thread rocks and what doesn't. If a thread isn't worthy of discussion, no one will post and it will sink quickly. If it is, than there will be plenty of discussion.

No excuses, I don't care who makes the post, you'll have a suspension. My count is up to 4 in the past 24 hours. I don't care if you have 100,000 posts, don't make that comment, period, end of story.

If you dont want the club to succeed, why follow them and post on this message board?

Is this team frustrating? Yes

Do they have flaws? Absolutely

But the facts remain that we are in a very mediocre division and in the middle of the pennant race, they have a very good rotation when healthy and have an offense capable of putting up big numbers when they are hot.

Let's embrace the rollercoaster ride and hope it ends up with a back-to-back AL Central Title!

:gosox1:

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
That makes no sense. I don't care where they were . The end of the season is the only thing that matters, 83 wins.

It matters a ton. It means they showed the ability to dominate during the course of the season and they just faltered at the end. The Sox have not shown that ability at all.

Its like everyone here has ADD or something. We're gonna lose games, lots of them. We're also going to win games, lots of them. There's no reason to have a panic attack and demand that the entire team be dismantled after every damn loss.

This isn't football, there are 10x more games. Quit giving yourself ulcers after every stupid loss.

Good post.

One amendment though: You said we're gonna lose games, lots of them and win games lots of them.

I say: We're gonna win as many games as we lose.

.500 baby.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
Good post.

One amendment though: You said we're gonna lose games, lots of them and win games lots of them.

I say: We're gonna win as many games as we lose.

.500 baby.

Soooooo, To you, the season really is lost.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
Yes. That Cardinal team was at one point 16 games above .500. Were the 2009 White Sox ever 16 games above .500? Not even close. That's why you can't compare the two teams.

They only finished with just 83 wins because they went on an uncharacteristic slide and lost 8 of 9 during the last two weeks of the season. Pretty much every day from May to early September they were between 10 and 16 games above .500. In retrospect I think they resemble an 87-89 game winner way more than they resemble an 83 game winner.

The 2006 Cardinals also didn't add an ace to their rotation like we potentially can if Peavy comes back healthy. If you go into the playoffs with: Peavy, Buehrle, Gavin, Danks, you have a chance.

It says it right there under his avatar, he was also Danks Fan until very recently.

You are correct

I was thinking I was onto something with this "Wise Master Buehrle"

With all the stories about how he's like a mentor to John Danks and Clayton Richard, along with Wise making that historic catch and people essentially treating Buehrle like a master, I thought it was funny.

Picture Richard and Danks bowing down saying "ohhh thank you wise master Buehrle for the information and knowledge you have taught us" :headbang

QUOTE (Wise Master Buehrle @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
You are correct

I was thinking I was onto something with this "Wise Master Buehrle"

With all the stories about how he's like a mentor to John Danks and Clayton Richard, along with Wise making that historic catch and people essentially treating Buehrle like a master, I thought it was funny.

Picture Richard and Danks bowing down saying "ohhh thank you wise master Buehrle for the information and knowledge you have taught us" :headbang

Someone with better photoshop skills than me needs to make you a sig or avatar with Buehrles face on a movie ancient master's body. Maybe the master in Kung Fu Panda or something, lol

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:27 PM)
The 2006 Cardinals also didn't add an ace to their rotation like we potentially can if Peavy comes back healthy. If you go into the playoffs with: Peavy, Buehrle, Gavin, Danks, you have a chance.

They had a lot of injuries and people came back in september. They were a better team than their 83 win game record showed, because when full steam they were what you saw in the playoffs.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 06:02 PM)
It matters a ton. It means they showed the ability to dominate during the course of the season and they just faltered at the end. The Sox have not shown that ability at all.

They faltered at the end of 2005.