"More bunting"

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This team struggled mightily with fundamentals this year, across the board. I'm all for more training on that stuff in ST - bunting yes, but also baserunning situationally, hit and run, basestealing (smartly, not just to do it), and more important than any of those, situational hitting to get more productive hits and outs with runners on.

The thing that scares me most about 2010 though, is defense. Alexei needs to improve, which he didn't do at all this year. TCQ and Pods (if he is around) need major work too, and so does AJ.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 10:07 AM)
Great idea, giving up outs when a lineup is already struggling to produce runs. Bunting before the 7th inning unless a pitcher or a guy like Lillibridge is up is stupid.

generally i agree. just because you liked to bunt ozzie doesn't make it the right thing for every team you manage...

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
generally i agree. just because you liked to bunt ozzie doesn't make it the right thing for every team you manage...

While that may be true, but it's a good way to manufacture runs when in a prolonged slump. This years team, no good. But a quicker team, absolutely, if used correctly.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
While that may be true, but it's a good way to manufacture runs when in a prolonged slump. This years team, no good. But a quicker team, absolutely, if used correctly.

except ozzie will have them bunt even when NOT in prolonged slumps. Giving away outs.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)

We play in the American League, in the 21st century. The day of playing a slap and tickle play for one run attack has been over for a while. Sure they do it alot in the NL. Then again, the NL is retarded because they let their pitchers hit. Late in the game, need a run to tie or win. Sure I can understand the bunt thing. In the 2nd inning, no reason.

Too many people are overvaluing outs, and what they're forgetting is that we have some players (Pods/Getz) who can outrun a bunt. Bunts, if performed right, can mess up another team's psyche and sometimes it leads to mistakes being made by the flustered opposing pitcher.

I'm a big fan of bunts, and I see nothing wrong with using bunts at any point of the game, especially if someone is already on 1st base and there's less than 2 outs. Using a timely bunt can help in avoiding a double-play and allowing the next batter (who might be a power hitter) to hit a home run. It's called strategy, I'm just really surprised at how people don't get this and how people seem to prefer constant groundouts and popouts in home run attempts. At least with bunting, the team batting is controling the game, despite willingly giving up an out, which usually pays off in a run or 2 in the long run.

a focus on fundamentals is OK with me, but to try and manufacture runs in the Cell early in the game could potentially lead to a lot of losses. I have no problem with it later in a close game, but to have a NL approach in the AL in one of the better hitters park in baseball is a bad idea to me.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
Using a timely bunt can help in avoiding a double-play and allowing the next batter (who might be a power hitter) to hit a home run. It's called strategy....

If your only goal in bunting is to avoid a double play so the next guy can hit a dong, why not just intentionally strikeout? That is simply not a good argument in favor of bunting.

I like the threat of the bunt in the early-middle innings to draw the infield in, but in practice it's something I'd like to see only used on an infrequent basis.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)
Too many people are overvaluing outs, and what they're forgetting is that we have some players (Pods/Getz) who can outrun a bunt. Bunts, if performed right, can mess up another team's psyche and sometimes it leads to mistakes being made by the flustered opposing pitcher.

I'm a big fan of bunts, and I see nothing wrong with using bunts at any point of the game, especially if someone is already on 1st base and there's less than 2 outs. Using a timely bunt can help in avoiding a double-play and allowing the next batter (who might be a power hitter) to hit a home run. It's called strategy, I'm just really surprised at how people don't get this and how people seem to prefer constant groundouts and popouts in home run attempts. At least with bunting, the team batting is controling the game, despite willingly giving up an out, which usually pays off in a run or 2 in the long run.

How about a good old fashioned line drive swing. Maybe a double into the gaps. You realize that there is an in-between from a all or nothing home run approach, and playing slap and tickle right. Also there are other ways of moving runners over. The hit and run, steals, and even base hits. You don't need to flup it 7 feet to move a guy 90 feet.

Pods is pretty long in the tooth to all of a sudden become this master drag bunt artist. He is not a particularly good bunter.

Bunts don't fluster pitchers. Home runs fluster pitchers, doubles into the gap fluster pitchers, the opposite field gork shot flusters pitchers. Some guy imitating a pitcher in the NL and giving up an out moving a guy to 2nd doesn't fluster a pitcher.

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
If your only goal in bunting is to avoid a double play so the next guy can hit a dong, why not just intentionally strikeout? That is simply not a good argument in favor of bunting.

I like the threat of the bunt in the early-middle innings to draw the infield in, but in practice it's something I'd like to see only used on an infrequent basis.

One can argue that, by bunting and getting the baserunner on 2nd base and letting the next batter try to hit a home run, the runner on 2nd base can still run home from 2nd if the batter hits a double to the deep outfield. If the baserunner was still on 1st base, (after the previous batter intentionally struck out) then he would've more than likely only been able to get to 3rd base on that deep double.

You have to match the strategy to the players and their abilities or lack there of. There are a lot of ways to win a World Series, and slugging your way is one way to do it. So is hitless wonders. But don't try and fit team A into the role of team B.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
One can argue that, by bunting and getting the baserunner on 2nd base and letting the next batter try to hit a home run, the runner on 2nd base can still run home from 2nd if the batter hits a double to the deep outfield. If the baserunner was still on 1st base, (after the previous batter intentionally struck out) then he would've more than likely only been able to get to 3rd base on that deep double.

Yet you still have an extra out to work with to score that guy. You didnt just waste one trying to move that guy over.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
How about a good old fashioned line drive swing. Maybe a double into the gaps. You realize that there is an in-between from a all or nothing home run approach, and playing slap and tickle right. Also there are other ways of moving runners over. The hit and run, steals, and even base hits. You don't need to flup it 7 feet to move a guy 90 feet.

Pods is pretty long in the tooth to all of a sudden become this master drag bunt artist. He is not a particularly good bunter.

Bunts don't fluster pitchers. Home runs fluster pitchers, doubles into the gap fluster pitchers, the opposite field gork shot flusters pitchers. Some guy imitating a pitcher in the NL and giving up an out moving a guy to 2nd doesn't fluster a pitcher.

If I was a pitcher, I'd be more pissed off if the other team was trying to bunt with a guy on base than I would've if I gave up a home run. Because when it comes to bunting, the other team is manipulating the game and forcing me to field my position, but if the other team hit a home run then it's my fault and they wouldn't have hit that home run if I had located my pitches better.

Of course you can try and hit a line drive, or a double into the gaps, but when you do that there's always a CHANCE that the ball will go where you don't want it to go, such as into the 2nd baseman's mitt for a double-play.

Edited by SouthsideDon48

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 11:19 AM)
If I was a pitcher, I'd be more pissed off if the other team was trying to bunt with a guy on base than I would've if I gave up a home run. Because when it comes to bunting, the other team is manipulating the game and forcing me to field my position, but if the other team hit a home run then it's my fault and they wouldn't have hit that home run if I had located my pitches better.

Of course you can try and hit a line drive, or a double into the gaps, but when you do that there's always a CHANCE that the ball won't go where you want it to go, such as into the 2nd baseman's mitt for a double-play.

I would be far more upset that I gave up a run than a guy attempting to get to first and another guy to 2nd or 3rd and I had another chance to get a pop up, line drive to a fielder, strikeout, etc. to prevent a run from scoring

Edited by SoxFan562004

So Pods singles in the first. Are we really saying that he best solution is to have Beckham square around to move Pods up 90 feet. I would say the ability for Beckham to make solid contact, hit doubles and for power would outweigh any benefit of moving Pods up to second. Also the problem has not been, getting the guy into 2nd. Its been getting him in. How does bunting all of a sudden fix the pucker factor our team has when men move into scoring position.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 11:19 AM)

Of course you can try and hit a line drive, or a double into the gaps, but when you do that there's always a CHANCE that the ball will go where you don't want it to go, such as into the 2nd baseman's mitt for a double-play.

If a pitcher gets more upset on a bunt, which may move a runner into scoring position over a guy who just crushed one to the upper deck and definitely scored a run, he needs to get his head examined.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)

Right, of course. You bunt to get the runner into scoring position. I was just taking the 'bunt so the next guy can try to hit a two run homer instead of a solo shot' argument to the extreme. Still, in general unless it's a 0-0 game in the 6th, I don't start thinking about bunting in the early-middle innings.... OK maybe if Sandy Koufax is on the hill I think about it in the 1st.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)
Yet you still have an extra out to work with to score that guy. You didnt just waste one trying to move that guy over.

But the would-be batter struck out instead of moving the baserunner over with a bunt. Had the batter moved the baserunnner over with a bunt, it makes it easier for the next batter to score him with a double.