According to Sun Times Kotsay wants to be back

DaveBrown85

Mark Kotsay doesn't know how free agency will work out for him this offseason. But the reserve infielder/ outfielder does know where he would like to be come 2010. From the way White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen has been raving about Kotsay's leadership and presence off the bench, the feeling seems to be mutual.

I'd be willing to take him back for his wife alone. Think he'll be back? Do you want him back?

QUOTE (DaveBrown85 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 09:22 PM)
Mark Kotsay doesn't know how free agency will work out for him this offseason. But the reserve infielder/ outfielder does know where he would like to be come 2010. From the way White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen has been raving about Kotsay's leadership and presence off the bench, the feeling seems to be mutual.

I'd be willing to take him back for his wife alone. Think he'll be back? Do you want him back?

No question. As long as he realizes that his role is that of a bench player.

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)
if we dump Dye, I can see Pods in LF, Rios in CF, Kotsay in RF with Q at DH and PK at 1B

OR

Keep Dye, dump PK and Pods in LF, Rios in CF, Dye in RF, Q at DH, Kotsay at 1B

I think hes back no matter what

This would be terrible. If Kotsay is back as a bench player, fine. If he is at all a starter or even getting 300 at bats then we are in serious trouble. This would be back to the days of Erstad as a starter. Kotsay has no business seeing significant time on a contending team.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 02:23 AM)
If Pods is back, Kotsay isn't.

I think there is room for both. The question is if Wise is back IMO. Not saying Wise isn't a good sub OF'er, but that is his role for sure. If Dye isn't back then maybe Wise is? Kotsay is a lefty 1B option and fills in in RF so Pods and him are not exclusive.

I like the idea of getting a third catcher (utility type guy) and then having Pods/Flowers in a DH platoon...with Kotsay facing righties and playing OF. Would drastically improve our OF defense.

I suppose the reason people think of Kotsay and Pods as being mutually exclusive parts of the roster.....aside from their lefthandedness...is the fact that neither brings power. It's a problem.

But then again, do we get a crappy free agent DH to solve that problem? Or wait til Konerko/AJP are off the books to do so? I currently lean toward the latter (which hurts since the staff could be so great).

Then again, this seems like the kind of offseason where KW will pull a trade no one saw coming. Well I guess that's every offseason.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
It *might* be possible to play AJ and Flowers in the same lineup and use Paulie as the emergency 3rd catcher. But he hasn't caught for so long that it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

They'd activate Cora to play catcher before Paulie goes there again.