Who will get the 2016 Games?

Which city will hold the 2016 Olympic Games?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which city WILL get it?

• Chicago
    • Rio
    • Tokyo
    • Madrid
  2. 2. Which city do you WANT to get it?

• Chicago
    • Rio
    • Tokyo
    • Madrid

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
I feel like the historical nature of South America getting its first Olympics is too much for Chicago to overcome.

This is how I feel as well. And I don't even really know if I want Chicago to get it. There are so many thing to spend money on but the money brought in in 7 years would be huge.

I'm really about as 50/50 as possible between Rio and Chicago. I went with Chicago b/c I don't think Obama would be going over there if they thought he'd be coming home empty handed.

I know the whole first Games in South America thing is a big deal, but the crime/poverty/infrasturcture of Rio is really s***. And because Brazil is hosting the 2014 WC I feel enough voters will feel okay with skipping past them as hosts.

And I too would love to know who voted Madrid. I honestly don't see any way Madrid or Tokyo could possibly win this.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 08:56 PM)
I know the whole first Games in South America thing is a big deal, but the crime/poverty/infrasturcture of Rio is really s***. And because Brazil is hosting the 2014 WC I feel enough voters will feel okay with skipping past them as hosts.

Yeah, I really don't think people in Chicago realize that Rio has really s***ty transit. They are one of the few cities in south america WITH transit, but it's no where close to Chicago's. Granted, I haven't seen their plans. Add on top of that the perception of crime for tourists (which is very real, but you just shouldn't be stupid).

I suppose with their 14 bill committed they might be upgrading it, for sure obviously are. But after Beijing and how impressed the IOC was with them, Rio would be a pretty big gamble.

It's a beautiful city that's much different looking than your average summer games, though. And they will eventually get it, I'd guess.

The southern hemisphere kind of screws over winter/summer olympic bids. I was wondering if Buenes Aires could host a winter olympics if it's summer wasn't our winter. Are skiing spots close enough, I'm not that familiar. That said, it appears that Brazil is the best spot, next to Chile perhaps?

I've had a drastic change in attitude towards the Olympics here in Chicago the past few weeks. I'm still concerned about corruption within the bidding process (rich companies becoming richer) for 2016 related construction projects, and the wrong people being hired for said jobs (clout babies), but it's probably inevitable.

Of course all construction will be ready for the opening ceremonies, but I expect the projects to be dragged on for the longest amount of time, for the highest amount of costs. Has anyone seen the federally funded road construction projects around the south suburbs extending along Harlem Avenue? Does anyone else notice how long it's taking these people to work on a small section of road? I swear to God, there's an area half a block North of Southwest Highway and Harlem Avenue in Palos Hills that has been under construction for over a month. They have everyone merge into one lane, and it's causing massive delays; yet I haven't seen anyone out there in weeks. It's almost as if they're purposely trying to extend the amount of time it takes to complete it. This is the type of problems I can forsee happening with the Olympics.

However, even with these problems (which are more an inconvenience than anything which personally affects me) I'm hoping Chicago wins. Also, from a selfish perspective, I'd like to think if I have a family seven years from now I can take them to view the sites. Seven years is a LONG time to hold a grudge against something that hasn't happened yet. And it's not exactly a decision we can change our minds on. I'd much rather have it here and regret it than the alternative.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I used to love the Olympics when I was a kid. Now they really don't interest me much. The only thing that gives me any reason to hope that Chicago gets the games is the possibility of federal funds to fix things like public transportation which is really horrible right now. The way I see it though, even if the CTA received billions they would blow it and while the system might be alright when the Olympics came, it probably wouldn't be finished until days before the games started and weeks after they ended slow zones would reappear, half hour waits to get on to jammed trains would reappear and when politicians tell you there is very little chance taxpayers will foot the bill for anything, call me crazy, but I just know these games that mean so little to me would wind up costing me a pretty penny and I don't even intend to go to any events. In fact, the prices they are talking about pretty much take out most of the population.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 03:20 PM)
I'm curious who thinks Madrid is getting it, and why.

I voted for Madrid. I haven't followed anything about the Olympics because I'm not really interested in he Olympics. It doesn't matter to me who gets it.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 06:09 PM)
I used to love the Olympics when I was a kid. Now they really don't interest me much. The only thing that gives me any reason to hope that Chicago gets the games is the possibility of federal funds to fix things like public transportation which is really horrible right now. The way I see it though, even if the CTA received billions they would blow it and while the system might be alright when the Olympics came, it probably wouldn't be finished until days before the games started and weeks after they ended slow zones would reappear, half hour waits to get on to jammed trains would reappear and when politicians tell you there is very little chance taxpayers will foot the bill for anything, call me crazy, but I just know these games that mean so little to me would wind up costing me a pretty penny and I don't even intend to go to any events. In fact, the prices they are talking about pretty much take out most of the population.

I noticed figures like $2,000+ dollars to attend the opening ceremonies. Atleast I have the benefit of watching Boxing at UIC , which should be available to me for free since I'm an alumni.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)

It's not really the CTA who's incompetent, they know the areas they need to improve, it's the state government.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
I'm really about as 50/50 as possible between Rio and Chicago. I went with Chicago b/c I don't think Obama would be going over there if they thought he'd be coming home empty handed.

That's exactly why I think it's in the bag for Chicago. The Obama/Oprah train wouldn't be chugging on over there if they weren't a shoe-in.

Chicago will get it because we just had the last Olympics in China so Tokyo won't get it,

London has it in 2012 so I don't see Europe getting 2 Olympics in a row so count out Madrid...

Rio has the WC in 2014 so there's no way they'll get the Olympics 2 years later IMO.

My gut feeling is Chicago and as a former Chicagoan,I hope they get it.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
Chicago will get it. The cronies are there, it'll get done, no matter the cost to pay off people.

Rio deserves it. They put forward a solid bid and the "Global Olympic Movement" needs to be more global than visiting the same countries over and over again.

As has been stated numerous times, Rio's level of government corruption makes Chicago look like amateurs.

Brazil's government is a mess. For all the praising of Lula he has no idea how to balance the obvious breaks and benefits they should be giving to their growing business with the social institutions they've set up. Everything is underfunded, their public schools are terrible, their health care is terrible, etc. To his credit, he's one of the best diplomats heading a south american country. Anxious to see what he does with this Honduran crisis.

I assure you, if you think the US government is bad, nay, if you think the city gov'ts of the US are poorly run, you have no idea. Absolutely none. Do you all want to know what it's like to find your way around a gigantic city, not on a grid, with below average transit system? It's not easy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 03:20 PM)
I'm curious who thinks Madrid is getting it, and why.

I'm calling the upset win for Madrid; Spain's Juan Antonio Samaranch and his old boy network of European take advantage of a split between Chicago and Rio in the early rounds of voting, and IOC gives it to Madrid as sort of a "lifetime achievement" award to its former president.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:32 AM)
As has been stated numerous times, Rio's level of government corruption makes Chicago look like amateurs.

I dont care how corrupt Rio is. I know how the Chicago corruption will effect me. Let the Rio residents deal with their Olympic problems.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)
I'm calling the upset win for Madrid; Spain's Juan Antonio Samaranch and his old boy network of European take advantage of a split between Chicago and Rio in the early rounds of voting, and IOC gives it to Madrid as sort of a "lifetime achievement" award to its former president.

not a chance that happens.