2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)
Philly:

1.54 million

Chicago:

2.8 milllion

Even if we are splitting a city it is about even. Factor in more corporate sponsor opportunities being in a large international and national market, the Sox are in just as good, if not a better position than the Phillies if they got their s*** together.

It's worth counting the full metropolitan area as well. People who grew up in the Suburbs can go to the ballpark too. Chicago comes in around 9.5 million, Philly at 6 million. So if the Cubs and Sox split evenly, Philly has about a 25% population advantage...and go figure, we're talking about Philly holding about a 25% advantage over the Sox in their ticket sales right after their W.S. year.,

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I truly believe that if the sox had sustained success like the Phillies have had, and now with the Cubs faltering, maybe we wouldn't have a $140 mill payroll but we could probably have $120-130mill payroll. Obviously I don't have the balance sheets of both teams but essentially I see us at similar levels if we had the same success as the Phillies.

I just noticed this, dont know if it has been pointed out yet, but Jeter is having his worst full season in his career. Kinda surprising cause it seemed like him and Rivera would seemingly never freakin regress as they aged.

Is it just a down year for Derek or the start of the twilight of his career?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 09:24 PM)
I truly believe that if the sox had sustained success like the Phillies have had, and now with the Cubs faltering, maybe we wouldn't have a $140 mill payroll but we could probably have $120-130mill payroll. Obviously I don't have the balance sheets of both teams but essentially I see us at similar levels if we had the same success as the Phillies.

Really though...after the W.S., we won 90+ games in 2006 and the division in 2008. Do you think that the bad season in 2007 did that much damage?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2010 -> 08:08 AM)
Really though...after the W.S., we won 90+ games in 2006 and the division in 2008. Do you think that the bad season in 2007 did that much damage?

Since 2007 they have won the division each year, and made it to the WS in 2008 and 2009, winning it in '08. They very well could be back in it this year. I would say 2 straight WS runs in between 2 more divisional championships by the Sox launches them up to a whole new level, not a one year wonder who misses the playoffs 3 out of the 4 next years.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 23, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
Bautista is gonna hit like 13 next year.

I strongly doubt that. I think he probably put up a similar line as to why Carlos Pena put up following his huge breakout year in Tampa. People are going to pitch him differently next year, but he's made some type of mechanical adjustment with his swing that produces flyballs at a much more prolific rate than in the past. I could see a drop in his batting average and home run total to like a .230 and 30, but I don't think he's suddenly going to revert to the hitter he once was.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 23, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
Bautista is gonna hit like 13 next year.

I have to disagree with that for the simple fact that he hit 10 last September/October after hitting 3 the previous 5 months. I think he actually figured something out with his swing that has helped him hit his 52 homers. (Or he is on HGH?)

And the Rangers clinch the West. Nolan Ryan and that front office have done a tremendous job in getting that team back to relevance after being down for a while (you could see this coming last year). They've done it with three outstanding trades and a loaded farm that's really come through for them.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 25, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
And the Rangers clinch the West. Nolan Ryan and that front office have done a tremendous job in getting that team back to relevance after being down for a while (you could see this coming last year). They've done it with three outstanding trades and a loaded farm that's really come through for them.

They better hope that Cliff Lee remembers how he used to pitch before he came to Texas, or their first playoff trip in 11 years will be worthless.