2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 08:05 AM)
That dude is such a scumbag. Seriously, now that he is in the NL, he needs to get drilled every f***ing time he's at bat.

I don't know why nobody has done anything yet. Lincecum or Cain should take him to town the next time he pitches against San Fran.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
Well, the Rays just completed their smackdown of the Red Sox to the tune of a 4-game sweep in Boston. They now have the same record as the **gulp** White Sox.

There's a good reason not to panic right there.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 02:32 PM)
Yes, because our lineups are of similiar quality enough to make that kind of comparison..

It just goes to show that even teams with really good lineups can slump. I think they might be worse than us on offense right now.

And I'm in no way making the comparison, I just said that to make myself feel better.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
A's lock up Brett Anderson through 2015. http://www.sbnation.com/2010/4/16/1426846/...act-oakland-mlb

Good move. I think BB is overrated as f*** (Wite, Thunderbolt, I don't want to hear it). But the haul he got for Haren was SICK.

He does what he can to stay ahead of the game, but I don't believe he can do that anymore. As such, it seems he has forgotten how to build a winning team. In the absence of that, he has collected as much talent as he can (and they have a ton of it), and because he has such limited resources to work with, he is afraid of losing a trade that will set his franchise back for years at a time (which is exactly what happened in the Holliday trade).

He's the best in the game at acquiring value for his assets, but that's about where the good stops anymore. If he grew a pair and acquired Adrian Gonzalez, I'd say the AL West was as wide open as any division in baseball. As is, the A's are the only team that really has no shot at winning the division title.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
Here's a doozie for ya: Ubaldo, Kershaw or Hanson?

Kershaw, Ubaldo, Hanson, in that order. I take Kershaw because of handedness and Ubaldo has done more and in an environment like Coors. Hanson is still sick.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 08:08 AM)
I get the feeling that when all is said and done the NL will be the tougher league this year.

I think Boston is going to slip a little and other than the Yankees and maybe Tampa the AL looks to have a lot of average to slightly above average teams.

Sadly the White Sox offensive decision making the off season is going to keep them from pulling away.

The NL has the Phillies and the Cardinals as two really elite teams. The Rockies, Giants, and Dodgers are all good, but I wouldn't classify them as elite teams. Atlanta appears to have a good team as well, but I don't know how good they are. Other than that, there's a lot of talent, but no great teams. I think the AL will dominate the NL in Interleague play once again, probably about the 20-30 games that's been standard of recent years.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
It just goes to show that even teams with really good lineups can slump. I think they might be worse than us on offense right now.

And I'm in no way making the comparison, I just said that to make myself feel better.

The Red Sox lineup isn't "really good" anymore. With Ramirez gone and Ortiz not what he was, their lineup has regressed considerably. I'd take there's over the White Sox without hesitation though.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
The Red Sox lineup isn't "really good" anymore. With Ramirez gone and Ortiz not what he was, their lineup has regressed considerably. I'd take there's over the White Sox without hesitation though.

I posted this over in some thread over at the PHT side but I am not sure that the Red Sox lineup is all that it is cracked up to be. I can see them getting old quick.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)

I still think it's a top 5 offense in the AL though.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
I still think it's a top 5 offense in the AL though.

C - Victor Martinez

1B - Kevin Youkilis

2B - Dustin Pedroia

SS - Marco Scutaro

3B - Adrian Beltre

LF - Jacoby Ellsbury

CF - Mike Cameron

RF - JD Drew

DH - David Ortiz

Bench - Mike Lowell, Jason Varitek, Jeremy Hermida, and Bill Hall

I don't see a true superstar in the bunch, though I would say Victor Martinez is close, but the only real weak hitter I see in the lineup is Scutaro.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
he always said he learned a lot at Mark's side. Good to see it working out for him.

Ya you can see it with his style. He works fast, (pitching and starting each inning) throws strikes, fields his position very well, and has a great pick-off move. (not to mention learned the cutter here) Similarities end with that however with their pitching styles.

Eric Gagne retires officially. Maybe he can give Jason Schmidt his Cy Young he stole from him.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 12:07 AM)
Has Richard actually learned how to field his position well enough and THEN make accurate throws to 1B?

Just wonder if he's made any progress in that area with a new organization and pitching coach....

No idea there actually (don't catch enough games he pitches, even though I saw him make two good throws over there in the 2 games he pitched) but he's solid at fielding his position, though he will never be Buehrle-like.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 12:27 AM)
Ya you can see it with his style. He works fast, (pitching and starting each inning) throws strikes, fields his position very well, and has a great pick-off move. (not to mention learned the cutter here) Similarities end with that however with their pitching styles.

Eric Gagne retires officially. Maybe he can give Jason Schmidt his Cy Young he stole from him.

Yeah, right after Jason Schmidt gives back the $45 million he stole from the Dodgers.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 01:34 AM)
No idea there actually (don't catch enough games he pitches, even though I saw him make two good throws over there in the 2 games he pitched) but he's solid at fielding his position, though he will never be Buehrle-like.

But his overall defense at the position is (or was) awful, since he seemed incapable of throwing to first base.