Per Reifert, Mark Kotsay given 1 year deal

BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
Per cowley:

Sox have announced that Mark Kotsay was given a one-year, $1.5 million deal to return to the South Side as a key reserve

I think this deserves its own seperate thread

who can do that? oh wait, thats me

CHICAGO – The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on a one–year, $1.5–million contract with free agent infielder/outfielder Mark Kotsay.

Kotsay, 33, combined to hit .278 (52–187) with four home runs and 23 RBI in 67 games with Boston and the White Sox in 2009. He was acquired from the Red Sox on July 28 in exchange for outfielder Brian Anderson and went 33–113 (.292) with three home runs and 18 RBI in 40 games with Chicago.

The 6–foot–0, 210-pounder is a .281 (1,576–5,606) hitter with 313 doubles, 113 home runs and 632 RBI over 13 major-league seasons with Florida (1997–2000), San Diego (2001–03), Oakland (2004–07), Atlanta (2008), Boston (2008–09) and the White Sox (2009).

Since the start of the 1998 season, Kotsay ranks third among all major–league outfielders with 114 assists, trailing only Bobby Abreu (121) and Vladimir Guerrero (115).

Kotsay, who has appeared in 17 career postseason games, owns a .342 (26-76) lifetime average as a pinch–hitter, the fourth–highest mark among active players with at least 50 at-bats.

print this page | e-mail this page

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
Great signing. Such a versatile bench player. Key word, BENCH PLAYER.

Agree, but the Teahen move already makes this feel a bit redundant. But I still love the signing anyway because Kotsay performs very well in his role and is definitely a winner and a solid presence in the clubhouse.

He's great in the clubhouse too, which is huge. I think the Mark Gonzalez interview told everyone a whole lot about what the Sox clubhouse is like.

I realize clubhouse gets over-rated at times as does chemistry, but it does make some what of a difference, depending on the type of team you have.