Adrian Gonzalez

kwill

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
I used to include Viciedo in all of my Gonzalez trade hypothetical’s, but lately all I’m hearing is the three names. And if that’s the case, and it really is a standing offer, I’m not sure what the holdup is,

I think the Sox would be willing to make the trade but San Diego isn't ready yet. There are also other teams (Boston) trying to get him. SD can wait for teams to up the ante. They are likely playing the "so and so team is willing to go this high..." to make teams add in players to their proposals, etc.

IMHO, from the Sox perspective, they are likely willing to give up the package but like Flowers the most out of the group. They will bite the bullet if needed and thus brought in the insurance of Castro in case the deal does go down. If not, you put Flowers in AAA and plug him in next year. Teahen signed 3 years so Morel would be playing the role of Fields to Crede and if they can get value...insane value in Gonzalez for 2 years (potentially longer since the Konerko, Buerhle deals will be coming off the books), you do it. Viciedo can be the power from the right side that Flowers would have offered. AJ still has good years left and as hard as it is to find a Catcher that can hit at a decent clip and handle a staff, AJ might be perfect for our rotation for the next few years (vs. a young player like Flowers). Hudson has a mid-rotation starter ceiling and Morel or DanksII may be serviceable MLBers not stars. Mitchell might be who SD really wants but hopefully we can keep him out. His time table falls more in line with the potential contract expiry of Pierre.

Flowers, Hudson, D2, Morel for AGon...that's as high as I would go. I would try and keep D2 just to entice D1 to sign here for the next few years when the time is right. He might be less inclined if his bro wasn't here.

Maybe the reason why San Diego didn't trade away Adrian yet is because they're still trying to sell as many pre-season ticket deals and season packages as they can knowing they're likely to sell more while still having Adrian Gonzalez. If they traded away Adrian Gonzalez right now, then they would probably more than likely see a dip in ticket sales sold pre-season than they would if they waited as late into the off-season as possible.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
Maybe the reason why San Diego didn't trade away Adrian yet is because they're still trying to sell as many pre-season ticket deals and season packages as they can knowing they're likely to sell more while still having Adrian Gonzalez. If they traded away Adrian Gonzalez right now, then they would probably more than likely see a dip in ticket sales sold pre-season than they would if they waited as late into the off-season as possible.

Which should equal about 4 extra season tickets if they keep him until late March.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
I think the Sox would be willing to make the trade but San Diego isn't ready yet. There are also other teams (Boston) trying to get him. SD can wait for teams to up the ante. They are likely playing the "so and so team is willing to go this high..." to make teams add in players to their proposals, etc.

IMHO, from the Sox perspective, they are likely willing to give up the package but like Flowers the most out of the group. They will bite the bullet if needed and thus brought in the insurance of Castro in case the deal does go down. If not, you put Flowers in AAA and plug him in next year. Teahen signed 3 years so Morel would be playing the role of Fields to Crede and if they can get value...insane value in Gonzalez for 2 years (potentially longer since the Konerko, Buerhle deals will be coming off the books), you do it. Viciedo can be the power from the right side that Flowers would have offered. AJ still has good years left and as hard as it is to find a Catcher that can hit at a decent clip and handle a staff, AJ might be perfect for our rotation for the next few years (vs. a young player like Flowers). Hudson has a mid-rotation starter ceiling and Morel or DanksII may be serviceable MLBers not stars. Mitchell might be who SD really wants but hopefully we can keep him out. His time table falls more in line with the potential contract expiry of Pierre.

Flowers, Hudson, D2, Morel for AGon...that's as high as I would go. I would try and keep D2 just to entice D1 to sign here for the next few years when the time is right. He might be less inclined if his bro wasn't here.

Sox like Hudson the most and view him as a top of the rotation starter.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 12:50 AM)
At this point, if all it would take is Hudson, Flowers, and Danks we might as well do it. We need the shot in the arm, and as much as i dig the idea of both Danks brothers starting for the team at the same time, i'm far more sentimental about a guy who could pop 50 from the left-side.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 02:14 AM)
If all it takes is Hudson, Flowers, and D2, then pull the trigger.

I too would love to see the D&D brothers (like the M&M Boys in Minny, and it would allow them to enter to this) but I'd get over it.

(Also, Hudson, Flowers and D2 seems very cheap. I'd believe something like Hudson-Flowers-Mitchell-Morel or Hudson-Flowers-Danks-Viciedo would be more likely)

No question. As much as I like the prospect of Jordan Danks, he is still just a prospect and may never turn out to be anything. If it were up to me, I'd give up anyone in the system for Gonzalez, because he's young, cheap, and very, very good.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 02:58 AM)
If that's "all" it took it would've been done weeks ago. If (big if) the Padres decide to make AGON available, they'll be some MAJOR competition between multiple teams to top what the other is offering. AGON almost certainly won't be dealt between now and opening day. The earliest I can see is mid-season. Hopefully will have multiple prospects either rake or dominate on the mound in order to legitimately strengthen our would be offer.

I think there's a lot of truth to this statement, in particular, the first sentence. Although, I think he is pretty close to being available now (if he already is not), because they know they can get the most value in return the more years he has left on the deal. But the Padres aren't under any pressure to do something now.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 06:42 PM)
No question. As much as I like the prospect of Jordan Danks, he is still just a prospect and may never turn out to be anything. If it were up to me, I'd give up anyone in the system for Gonzalez, because he's young, cheap, and very, very good.

I think there's a lot of truth to this statement, in particular, the first sentence. Although, I think he is pretty close to being available now (if he already is not), because they know they can get the most value in return the more years he has left on the deal. But the Padres aren't under any pressure to do something now.

I realize this is a little off topic Ranger, but any chances the Sox will break down and snag and Damon, because after the Twins acquisition of Hudson, the Sox are looking like second place favorites in my opinion.

Unless SD is absolutely sure about the prospects coming back, it really makes little sense not holding on to Gonzalez for a little leverage. Unless he gets hurt, the price tag isn't going to go down. You still get a year and a half of his services for Mark Teahan money, and if you don't re-sign him you'll get draft picks. You might as well see how these prospects look after some time off, and with most of them moving up a rung. Some team is going to pay a boatload in prospects for Gonzalez. I hope its the Sox, but I wonder if they have enough to offer.

Would the Padres be interested if Konerko could be included with the prospects, especially if the Sox were willing to pay part of his salary?

If the Sox paid $6 of the $12 million owed Konerko, that would bring the total cost of A. G. to about $10.75 million for this year, which is still less than they would owe Konerko.

That might help entice the Padres, as they would have a replacement at 1B for Gonzalez, which could appease the fans.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 07:09 PM)
Would the Padres be interested if Konerko could be included with the prospects, especially if the Sox were willing to pay part of his salary?

If the Sox paid $6 of the $12 million owed Konerko, that would bring the total cost of A. G. to about $10.75 million for this year, which is still less than they would owe Konerko.

That might help entice the Padres, as they would have a replacement at 1B for Gonzalez, which could appease the fans.

1B = Kyle Blanks

QUOTE (Special K @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 06:04 PM)
I realize this is a little off topic Ranger, but any chances the Sox will break down and snag and Damon, because after the Twins acquisition of Hudson, the Sox are looking like second place favorites in my opinion.

What do you mean by "break down"? You mean give him whatever he wants just so they can sign him? Doubtful.

Even if the Sox paid $6 million of Konerko's salary, SD would still be paying Paulie more than they would be paying Gonzalez. Konerko isn't going to SD. No way.

Given what it would cost the Sox in terms of salary eaten to send Konerko *anywhere* it would not be advantageous to move him. If we did get Gonzalez it would be great to have Paulie because then he'd be the backup at 1B, meaning we could trade/release/waive one of Jones or Kotsay, which we'd need to do anyway in order to have a spot for Nix or whoever else is the secondary backup IF.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 08:24 PM)
What do you mean by "break down"? You mean give him whatever he wants just so they can sign him? Doubtful.

Boras is really dying out there. Have you followed his full court press on DET to sign Damon? He's feeding Damon what to say publicly and it's playing out so desperate. Kenny and Rick are just standing

by rolling their eyes. I'm not saying Damon wouldn't be a nice addition. I think he'd be a great one, but Boras is just such a snake, that he's making it impossible for the Sox to even consider sign Damon.

The Sox just simply don't play those games. The worst part is, who cares what the agent was doing over the winter, when in September when you're running the best possible lineup out there in the heat of a pennant race...?!

Konerko would also being staying because not only the reasons as stated above, but he'd become the DH. At least I hope Ozzie has enough respect for Paulie to not put him in a rotating monster.

Thanks fellas for the clarification. Well, wouldn't it be worth it to pay almost all of Konerko's salary for 2010 if the Sox could get Gonzalez without having to give up too many prospects. If they could keep Hudson and Flowers, I'd be in favor of giving the Padres Paulie with as much of his contract paid for as they need to make it work for them.

Then give them J. Danks and whatever other prospect they'd want, not including Flowers or Hudson.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 04:02 AM)
Thanks fellas for the clarification. Well, wouldn't it be worth it to pay almost all of Konerko's salary for 2010 if the Sox could get Gonzalez without having to give up too many prospects. If they could keep Hudson and Flowers, I'd be in favor of giving the Padres Paulie with as much of his contract paid for as they need to make it work for them.

Then give them J. Danks and whatever other prospect they'd want, not including Flowers or Hudson.

The deal would require Flowers and Hudson. Giving them Paulie, and paying even $10M of his contract would basically make it so instead of Flowers-Hudson-Viciedo-D2-Other it'd be Flowers-Hudson-Paulie-Other.

Essentially, to get Gonzalez, you give up the top of our system (aside from Mitchell or D2, as only one would go)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 04:08 AM)
The deal would require Flowers and Hudson. Giving them Paulie, and paying even $10M of his contract would basically make it so instead of Flowers-Hudson-Viciedo-D2-Other it'd be Flowers-Hudson-Paulie-Other.

Essentially, to get Gonzalez, you give up the top of our system (aside from Mitchell or D2, as only one would go)

Would you do that deal? Konerko, with most of his salary paid, J. Danks, Flowers and Hudson for 2 years of A. Gonzalez seems a little steep, but I think I'd be satisfied even with that, especially if Gonzalez could be signed to a long term deal.

However, I doubt the Sox would spend the money needed to get him to stay.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 05:06 AM)
Would you do that deal? Konerko, with most of his salary paid, J. Danks, Flowers and Hudson for 2 years of A. Gonzalez seems a little steep, but I think I'd be satisfied even with that, especially if Gonzalez could be signed to a long term deal.

However, I doubt the Sox would spend the money needed to get him to stay.

The problem is the Padres wouldn't want Konerko. They'd want something along the lines of

Flowers, Hudson, [A], , [C]

[A] Pick 1: Mitchell (as a PTBNL), D2

Pick 1: Morel, Viciedo, Retherford

[C] Pick 1/2/3*: Shirek, Hynick, Torres, Nunez, Marrero, Shelby, Gartrell, Santos, Gilmore, etc.

* If Mitchell and Morel/Viciedo is taken, pick 1.

* If Mitchell-Retherford or Morel/Viciedo-D2, pick 2.

* If D2-Retherford, pick 3.

Ideally, I'd send them Hudson, Flowers, Morel, Viciedo, Torres, Shelby, and Gartrell.

Yes, you lose Hudson, whom can't be replaced in the system. However, you'd only need a fifth starter, and Marquez (if healthy) or Hynick could fill in that role if Freddy goes down.

Flowers is gone, but AJ's got I'd say 4-5 years left in the tank, and Phegley could very well replace Flowers.

Both Morel and Viciedo departing hurts, but it'd let you hold on to D2 and Mitchell, which I like. because, I know it shouldn't effect it, but keeping D2 could help keep D1 around long term. And keeping Mitchell is perfect. Also, Retherford (I think) played a bit of 3rd, so he could fill in in a pinch.

The other three, Torres, Shelby, and Gartrell can be replaced. However, tossing in all three could help entice the Padres.

Also to be considered, any team that would trade for Adrian would also net 2 draft picks if he left via free agency. IMO, the price for Gonzalez would be about 5 top prospects. If a mid season trade came about, I could see Jared Mitchell [available to be traded in early June] being the key piece along with Flowers. Mitchell has more upside than Hudson, yet is 3 years away from the bigs. If the sox see a window to win with the pitching led by Peavy, would they part with Flowers, Hudson and Mitchell group + a couple of pieces? That's what SD would almost surely ask for. And I can't say I'd offer that to SD.

Jordan Danks doesn't have near the "excitement" that Mitchell does, yet could offer the sox nice complimentary skills with his defense, and solid offense, if Danks' fall ball was an indication of what his future could be [with "sure thing" bats like Beckham and Gonzalez, the sox wouldn't need headliners like Mitchell could be but some role players thrown in]. Jared could offer skills that fill a highlight reel. But can he put those together to make a big impact in the majors? Or is he a Carlos Gomez type who offered promise and potential, and helped the Mets land Johan Santana? That's what the sox have to see as they watch him in high A this year.

In my opinion, you do everything and anything that doesn't include Hudson. Dan Hudson looks like a core player for future Sox to me

I feel there could be possibilities using Alexei or Floyd as the center piece.

Some of the scenarios I'm seeing above don't make sense to me. How often are there 5 for 1, or 6 for 1, swaps in MLB trades.

I mentioned this trade a long time ago, but how about Floyd, Flowers, Mitchell or D2, Morel, and one other prospect for Gonzo and Young. Going from memory that saves the Padres like 7M this year. Floyd>>>>>>>>>>Young

Edited by Mattchoo

Apart from everything that has been posted here I think another burning desire AGon has to have is to be somewhere where the priority will be winning. I can´t see that with the Pads until 2012 or beyond when hopefully their new owner will be able to afford an annual payroll of at least 60-70 million (Besides AGon will have been long gone as a FA). I don´t for a minute underestimate the value the fanbase sees in AGon in SD but loyalty aside the guy is a competitor and is going to want to be positioned where he has the highest chance of winning. I take Jake Peavy and Doc Holliday as two recent examples (Peavy maybe not so much because the money factored into ownership´s decision to dangle him and he had a full NTC so this argument could go either way) of professional athletes growing up in one org, being bred in fornt their respective franchises and being comfortale to the point where money was not the primary factor. Things can change and more often than not do.

Edited by chisoxfan09