Hideki Matsui

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (shakes @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
Why does everyone assume he would play in Seattle? Matsui doesn't have a good relationship with Ichiro. In fact, it's been long talked about that they don't like each other. Just recently, Matsui backed out of the WBC when Ichiro committed. Their rivalry supposedly goes back to when they were teenagers. Just because they are from the same country doesn't mean they want to play with together. Look at Renteria and Orlando Cabrera.

when i was stationed in Japan sometimes i would watch Ichiro play he played for the Orix Blue Wave which was in the Pacific league while Matsui was with the Giants up North in the Central league. They were both popular there but Matsui was more popular because he was playing in Tokyo . i believed they only played once against each other in the Japanese world series . i enjoyed going to Fukuoka to watch games the manager of the Fukuoka team the Seibu Lions was Sadaharu Oh and we got his autograph many times . Japanese baseball is fun to watch in person they really get into it as fans and the teams have cheerleaders which is fun to watch . One time me and a buddy went to a game and we met Darren Jackson after the game he took us out to dinner he was so happy to see other Americans over there . We had similar experiances with other American players when they came over on the tour there believe it or not i had breakfast with Cal Ripken JR and met many players there and had some interesting things happen with players and even the CUBAN female volleyball team god i enjoyed those 4yrs station in Japan .

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see us paying much more than $5M for this position this year unless we make some trades and free up some room under our "cap", which leads me to believe we're going to try to force the hand of the available DH's out there who don't get offers and low ball em as they won't have other options at that point. I think this is why KW said we won't address this position most likely until the end of the offseason. If no one offers Chop Sui anything, perhaps we can come at him with a 1 or 2 yr deal that is acceptable to us and we can snag him up. Thoughts?

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 06:44 AM)
I can't see us paying much more than $5M for this position this year unless we make some trades and free up some room under our "cap", which leads me to believe we're going to try to force the hand of the available DH's out there who don't get offers and low ball em as they won't have other options at that point. I think this is why KW said we won't address this position most likely until the end of the offseason. If no one offers Chop Sui anything, perhaps we can come at him with a 1 or 2 yr deal that is acceptable to us and we can snag him up. Thoughts?

This is unacceptable.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 08:04 AM)
This is unacceptable.

They don't even eat Chop Suey in Japan...

On another note, I honestly don't see any team going after Matsui with mad money. Seattle might do it, but they have Griffey as a full time DH. I don't think they want to bench him, even though they should.

At this point, he's just a DH and hitters that can only be a DH aren't worth much of anything in terms of value.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
I assume you're serious? I live in Europe, where people are more relaxed and not paranoid about the little things in life, so I guess the culture here is rubbing off on me.

JC, I did not find it personally offensive, but to respect others, we need to be safe, rather than sorry.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
For what it's worth.... the Score just mentioned that the Sox might be pursuing Matsui, and that would Quentin to move over to RF...

Did you add the Quentin move part, or did they say that on the Score? Because I assume they'd want Matsui for DH, not OF.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
That's what they said on the Score update on the Winter Meetings. I didn't add it.

I'd be shocked they wanted him for the OF. I think there is a 90% chance the Score just added that supposition without researching anything.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)

So it's speculation that they'd be interested in Matsui and an assumption that he'd play left because Ozzie has been talking about moving Quentin to right. His 'as of today' outfield did have Jones in left and Quentin in right.

Sounds like a whole lot of nothing.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
So it's speculation that they'd be interested in Matsui and an assumption that he'd play left because Ozzie has been talking about moving Quentin to right. His 'as of today' outfield did have Jones in left and Quentin in right.

Yeah, I think the only noteworthy part of this is that the Sox are probably talking to Matsui, which isn't a surprise.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)

You cannot have an outfield with Matsui/Rios/Quentin. Rios is a good defender, but he's not that good... Hell, I don't think there's a center fielder alive that can cover that much ground.