Jenks not happy with Guillen commenting about his weight

Kyyle23

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox21.article

I dont have sympathy for Jenks here. He has a job that requires him to stay in some sort of shape, and all of the little nicks and knocks that bugged him this year, including the kidney stones, seemed to revolve around his poor overall fitness. Ozzie really didnt said anything different that he hasnt said in the past, I dont know why Bobby feels like he is being scapegoated now.

From Jenks' comments, he would seem oblivious to the fact that he has very little trade value and won't be playing anywhere else but with the Sox in 2010. That is unless Jenks is doing well near the deadline, ups his value and the sox are out of contention/ have another option at closer to replace him.

I still think the sox comments about conditioning near the end of the year/ right after? were intended to spur Bobby to keep in shape in the offseason. Calling him out publicly may work for him where the "pat on the back" might not. Either way, the sox need Jenks to improve on his 2009 season. It can't hurt having Bobby come into ST in good shape.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
I'm about to be one of those posters that makes bigs leaps and bounds. But he sounds like a guy who has already heard his days are numbered with the team.

I dunno, I feel like I see a lot of teams when they've underperfomed go through some personal recriminations after the season ends.

QUOTE (wallyburger @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 06:00 PM)
Jenks is a fat man in denial.

Dear Bob;

You are fat. You have a chance to make millions or lose millions. No excuses. You are fat.

I love that this "you are fat" letter came from a poster named "wallyburger." I don't mean this an offense to wallyburger, I just found it very amusing.

Looks like Bobby is getting no sympathy from Kenny

"If he's upset that it's continuously brought up, then he should work on it and get it to where it's not an issue," said Williams, speaking about Jenks' conditioning prior to the hurler's last round of comments but following the closer's October remarks.

"It is an issue. I've told him this directly to his face," said Williams, without hesitation. "If he's going to have an extended career of effectiveness at a high level, like he certainly is capable of doing, then he has to take better care of himself."

Despite posting 140 saves in his four full seasons as closer, Jenks seems to be a lightning rod for critique. Questions originally focused on his velocity dropping from the upper 90s to the mid 90s, although Jenks' ERA improved from 4.00 in 2006 to 2.77 in '07 and 2.63 in '08 in the process. This past season, he finished at 3.71. And the powerful 6-foot-4, 285-pound right-hander will likely always have conditioning come up as an focal point when he struggles.

In 2009, Jenks' six blown saves matched his previous high-water mark of '06 when he finished 40-for-46. He also battled through various maladies in '09, such as kidney stones, a sore back and a pulled right calf muscle that prematurely ended his season.

When asked if this conditioning question could have played a role in Jenks' slight struggles, Williams once again held little back.

"Well, I don't know," Williams said. "It comes into question when you are not in the best shape you can be in, now doesn't it?" If [Jenks] doesn't like that, I don't really care if he doesn't like that. It's the truth.

"I've seen it time and time again. We would not be in his corner and we would not be real friends, real people of support, if we didn't give him the information."

With Jenks set to get a bump from the $5.6 million he earned in '09 as an arbitration eligible player, Hot Stove talk centering on a possible trade of the closer has picked up for a second consecutive offseason. The White Sox also understand Jenks remains one of the steadier closers in the game -- he collected 29 saves in '09 -- and his departure would weaken the bullpen.

"We would love to have Bobby back," said White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski. "The thing was he got hurt a little bit last year, kind of freak things, things he couldn't really control. But we obviously want him back.

"He's one of the best closers around, and he's done it for years and years. He saved the World Series for us. He's done a million things for us to help us win. He's a guy that teams are going to say, 'If the ball gets to Jenks, then the game is over.' So, if you lose him, you lose that and everyone else has to pick up a bigger role. We need him healthy, and if he's back, it would be great for us."

As for Jenks' performance slipping with a change in his physical stature, Pierzynski simply believes in a singular focus on results.

"I don't even pay attention," Pierzynski said. "As long as he gets guys out, I don't care if he weighs 500 or 100. I could care less what you look like or feel like or whatever, as long as you get guys out."

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)

I agree with KW. Get your ass in better shape. If he wants to last for a while he will. If he thinks he can get by not being in good shape, he will regret it years from now.

What's troubling is Jenks' fighting the concern. Doesn't he want to be the best he can be?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
I agree with KW. Get your ass in better shape. If he wants to last for a while he will. If he thinks he can get by not being in good shape, he will regret it years from now.

What's troubling is Jenks' fighting the concern. Doesn't he want to be the best he can be?

Lazy people don't generally change, and don't generally like to be told what to do.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 07:42 PM)
I love that this "you are fat" letter came from a poster named "wallyburger." I don't mean this an offense to wallyburger, I just found it very amusing.

Believe me when I say the burger part has nothing to do with food. :D . It requires imagination. I was given that nickname and it stuck.

Just for reference, I, definitely, am not fat. B)

Edited by wallyburger

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox21.article

I dont have sympathy for Jenks here. He has a job that requires him to stay in some sort of shape, and all of the little nicks and knocks that bugged him this year, including the kidney stones, seemed to revolve around his poor overall fitness. Ozzie really didnt said anything different that he hasnt said in the past, I dont know why Bobby feels like he is being scapegoated now.

I'm pretty sure that his kidney stones had little to do with him being overweight.

That said, I agree that he needs to stop whining and start working out regularly. At the very least, he has ample financial incentive to do so.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
I'm pretty sure that his kidney stones had little to do with him being overweight.

That said, I agree that he needs to stop whining and start working out regularly. At the very least, he has ample financial incentive to do so.

Kidney stones are diet related. Fatman needs to drink water and drop the soda pop and Gatorade.