White Sox sign Andruw Jones

Big Daddy Kool

Call me crazy, but I like the rotating DH... as long as Flowers is one of the players in the rotation.

I'm picturing Flowers/Kotsay/Jones will all see time at DH.

If so, the lineup will probably work out to be 8 regulars + 5 reserves + 12 pitchers.

With the likely reserves to be Vizquel, Jones, Flowers, Nix, and another player yet to be determined.

Edited by scenario

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had to pick one word to describe this move it would underwhelmed. Pop off the bench is great but doesn't Nix provide the same thing even more so than Jones against lefthanders ? I'm never for guys who at a relative young age can't stay in shape. Not exactly the role model type. I probably would have been happier to see Crisp/Cameron signed for a bench role but maybe they think they still can start somewhere and would cost more.

If Jones comes to camp at around 220 I'll be a little more optimistic that he can still play some defense. Just seems like he'll replace Bartolo as the butt of fat jokes at this point. As a pitcher you can get away with being overweight but as an outfielder it's just pitiful. That's why he only played 17 games in the OF last year. Right now he's just a bad DH.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
"Right now he's just a bad DH."

17HR/43RBI/.782OPS in 82 games is not a bad DH.

Surprisingly, last year, that OPS would be the 6th highest DH OPS in the AL. Problem is, Sox got an .809 OPS out of the DH spot last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
Surprisingly, last year, that OPS would be the 6th highest DH OPS in the AL. Problem is, Sox got an .809 OPS out of the DH spot last year.

I wouldn't mind a platoon between Thome & Jones if Jimmy would come back cheap.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
"Right now he's just a bad DH."

17HR/43RBI/.782OPS in 82 games is not a bad DH.

We didn't sign him to be a DH but that more or less is what he is. Fat and uninspired, who when he make's contact can hit a HR . Not exactly versatile which I thought we liked for the bench. Numbers as usual don't tell the whole story.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)

IF he had played enough. Which fat guys who don't give a damn usually don't do. Hey he's cheap if he makes it out of spring training I say he's gone by the All-star break.

I'd love to see Thome come back and ONLY bat against righthanded pitchers, even though he actually hit lefties OK last year, didn't he?

I get sick of Big Jimmy swinging through balls and getting punched out by lefties who know how to work him.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
I understand why this is low risk but why does everyone consider it high reward? He hasn't been a good player in years.

He had some nice power and walk numbers last year and there's a chance he could turn those into something more. He had a 13.8 BB%, a .338 wOBA and a .246 ISO. He still has the ability to take a good amount of walks and hit a lot of homers.

Atleast the Sunday lineups will be a hell of a lot more fun.

Honestly, the first thing I thought of when I heard about this signing was Jermaine Dye signing with the White Sox for the first time. Dye was 2 years younger, but went through a similar transgression - .792, .514, .793 from 2002-2004, and then he came back with an .846 OPS for the Sox and was very solid beyond that. Jones has put up .724, .505, and .786 over the previous 3 seasons. I'm not going to predict an .850 OPS over 550 plate appearances, just noticing the similarities.

I really, really like this signing. I just wish there was a team option for next season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)
Atleast the Sunday lineups will be a hell of a lot more fun.

Honestly, the first thing I thought of when I heard about this signing was Jermaine Dye signing with the White Sox for the first time. Dye was 2 years younger, but went through a similar transgression - .792, .514, .793 from 2002-2004, and then he came back with an .846 OPS for the Sox and was very solid beyond that. Jones has put up .724, .505, and .786 over the previous 3 seasons. I'm not going to predict an .850 OPS over 550 plate appearances, just noticing the similarities.

I really, really like this signing. I just wish there was a team option for next season.

Good catch, but you also have to look at the sample sizes. .786 in 300 some plate appearances isn't really convincing enough. Given Jones' weight issues, I have trouble seeing him out there for more than 400 plate appearances. Especially if the Sox want him to fill in at the corner outfield positions at times.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 10:55 PM)
Good catch, but you also have to look at the sample sizes. .786 in 200 some plate appearances isn't really convincing enough. Given Jones' weight issues, I have trouble seeing him out there for more than 350 plate appearances. Especially if the Sox want him to fill in at the corner outfield positions at times.

I don't know why fans are so fixated on this deal. Jones won't get more than 200 plate appearances and he shouldn't. He may play the OF once every couple Sundays, but it's not gonna be often. The Sox just aren't counting much at all on Jones and the size of their offer proves it. He's making less then Dwayne Wise did last year.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 10:00 PM)
I don't know why fans are so fixated on this deal. Jones won't get more than 200 plate appearances and he shouldn't. He may play the OF once every couple Sundays, but it's not gonna be often. The Sox just aren't counting much at all on Jones and the size of their offer proves it. He's making less then Dwayne Wise did last year.

Will you count on him if he puts up a .390 wOBA like he did until August?

Jones had a hamstring injury in August and sucked for a while. At one point, he was hitting .250 with an OPS near .900.

He was an absolute force for 3 months last year in Texas.

There's still some hope that he can be a decent platoon DH.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 02:28 AM)
If people are gonna keep bringing up Swisher, then I'm going back to Rowand.

His name is Aaron Rowand.

Seriously, Swisher is exactly who he described. Average speed/.370 OBP ...and a horrible lead off hitter for the Sox after April of 2008.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 10:04 PM)
Seriously, Swisher is exactly who he described. Average speed/.370 OBP ...and a horrible lead off hitter for the Sox after April of 2008.

There are plenty of other players capable of that. Let's put the Swisher bs to bed.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 11:02 PM)
Will you count on him if he puts up a .390 wOBA like he did until August?

Jones had a hamstring injury in August and sucked for a while. At one point, he was hitting .250 with an OPS near .900.

He was an absolute force for 3 months last year in Texas.

There's still some hope that he can be a decent platoon DH.

I think Kenny has always liked him, Ozzie coached him in ATL, Vizquel gave him a nod having played with him last season and they like the idea of those monster HR/BB streaks he can produce in that new DH rotation. He should rake at the Cell when it warms up but I would expect him to struggle in the early months, as he never had to play home games in any kind of crap weather in ATL/LA/TEX.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)
There are plenty of other players capable of that. Let's put the Swisher bs to bed.

Look, I wasn't lobbying for Swisher. That dude was an idiot and as bad a fit for this franchise as I can remember (outside of Albert Belle). I was just making the point that there are still those Sox fans that think OBP trumps speed/OBP for a lead off hitter. I was reminding him that we tried that and it didn't work. The Sox needed speed to setup RISP as much or more than other teams to offset the softball lineup they ran out there the past few years.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 10:04 PM)

I was thinking more along the lines of what Marco Scutaro did last year, good contact (.282 AVG, 75 K), very good OBP, decent speed and not much in the way of power.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 26, 2009 -> 11:23 PM)
I was thinking more along the lines of what Marco Scutaro did last year, good contact (.282 AVG, 75 K), very good OBP, decent speed and not much in the way of power.

Yeah, he had a nice season, but he has no position on the Sox. He's also 2 years older then the "ancient" 32 year old Andruw Jones.