Sox in on JJ Putz?

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 06:01 PM)
Here's what i'd do:

LR: Linebrink

LR: Pena

Mr: Hudson

Mr: Carrasco

SU: Thornton

SU: Putz

CL: Jenks

I imagine, however, Hudson will be LR and Pena will be MR:

I would imagine Pena would start off in setup until he either lost the job or Putz earned it. I also don't see Carrasco being used as much more than a rubber arm, similar to what he's done the past two seasons. I also think Ozzie is going to want two lefties, because he always does.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 06:06 PM)
I would imagine Pena would start off in setup until he either lost the job or Putz earned it. I also don't see Carrasco being used as much more than a rubber arm, similar to what he's done the past two seasons. I also think Ozzie is going to want two lefties, because he always does.

This makes sense, though he might lean towards Putz based on track record and a solid spring.

I'm liking where our pen is headed.

I absolutely do not want DJ in any role but the one's he's been in. He's done very well at it, but I do not trust him as anything more than what he is - backend of the bullpen innings eater and occasional middle reliever. A lot of teams don't even have a viable option for that. Let's not mess with him.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 09:26 PM)
Linebrink will never be a long reliever, he doesn't have the stamina.

Besides, why would you want a guy who fails at short relief to pitch longer?

Because that way he's in when it matters least.

But I agree.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
yes, I am talking about similar assertive posts that did not come to fruition.

HAHA, yes we all can report last min information that even surprises the Sox GM.

Yesterday "it cooled off" Today: "an offer has been made."

Putz has been pushing his agent to get him on the Sox.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 06:01 PM)
Here's what i'd do:

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 06:06 PM)

Neither linebrink or pena will be long men. Nothing suggests such. It's all carrasco's job, and if for whatever reason he can't go, next in line would be hudson, no matter what role in the pen becomes his primary. I fully agree putz has to earn the role, why throw him to the lions, aka put him in a role he is possibly no longer capable of? Ideally linebrink is in middle relief until he proves he is worthy of greater. Pena and thornton respectively ''setup'' from the right and left side. Though i would not put it past ozzie to start the season of with linebrink setting up games for us in favor of pena, and putz for that matter (if signed of course). I hate the two lefty garbage, get me someone that can get lefties out, regardless of their throwing arm.

I'd put the best arms in the best positions to make the team better. I see no need to make Brinkey pitch in crucial sitiuations until he earns it again. Personally, i love the idea of throwing Dan Hudson into the fire. It might help to show what he's made of.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (qwerty @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 06:35 PM)
Neither linebrink or pena will be long men. Nothing suggests such. It's all carrasco's job, and if for whatever reason he can't go, next in line would be hudson, no matter what role in the pen becomes his primary. I fully agree putz has to earn the role, why throw him to the lions, aka put him in a role he is possibly no longer capable of? Ideally linebrink is in middle relief until he proves he is worthy of greater. Pena and thornton respectively ''setup'' from the right and left side. Though i would not put it past ozzie to start the season of with linebrink setting up games for us in favor of pena, and putz for that matter (if signed of course). I hate the two lefty garbage, get me someone that can get lefties out, regardless of their throwing arm.

I actually feel OK with Randy Williams as a second lefty right now. However, if Ozzie is to use him properly, it has to be in matchups just to get lefties out. He generally doesn't allow extra base hits at all to lefties - something like 20 in 94 innings - and has some good peripherals to match it - 8.5 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, 0.6 HR/9, 1.24 WHIP, and a good groundball percentage too - but he should never face righties ever.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 07:01 PM)
Here's what i'd do:

im gonna go with

LR DJ R

LR Williams L

MR Linebrink R

MR Putz L

SU Pena R

SU Thornton L

CL Jenks

which has the potential to be the best bullpen in baseball. I think line just had a bad year and will go back to being dominant and pena has the potential to be dominant as well, really we have 5 guys in that pen that can be dominant pitchers and with the staff we have they should all be well rested to prevent being over worked.

except that Putz is a righty d'oh i thought i read a post talking about the previous guys pen where it had thornton and putz as set up then the guy said he doubted ozzie would have 2 leftys in the set up role my bad....thats still how it should look though

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 07:01 PM)
Here's what i'd do:

im gonna go with

LR DJ R

LR Williams L

MR Linebrink R

MR Putz L

SU Pena R

SU Thornton L

CL Jenks

which has the potential to be the best bullpen in baseball. I think line just had a bad year and will go back to being dominant and pena has the potential to be dominant as well, really we have 5 guys in that pen that can be dominant pitchers and with the staff we have they should all be well rested to prevent being over worked.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 06:34 PM)
HAHA, yes we all can report last min information that even surprises the Sox GM.

Yesterday "it cooled off" Today: "an offer has been made."

Putz has been pushing his agent to get him on the Sox.

I like the sound of that. I want guys who WANT to be here.

Putz wants in Chicago because there's a chance that he could get the Closer job later in the season if Bobby falters.

Thornton is great, but you don't take away your best lefty reliever from Middle Relief/Set Up and make him the Closer if there is a good righty alternative.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
Putz wants in Chicago because there's a chance that he could get the Closer job later in the season if Bobby falters.

Thornton is great, but you don't take away your best lefty reliever from Middle Relief/Set Up and make him the Closer if there is a good righty alternative.

Which is why Jenks' value has been far too high all along - Jenks won't be traded for beyond his value to the person itself.

If you don't need money or anything further, and a 1992 Honda Civic is worth $2000 to you, you will not sell that car for $1000, because it's worth $2000 to you. The White Sox need the further, but have the money to spend to fill said needs, and have other resources to acquire said need, if push come to shove.

If someone had serious interest in Jenks at this point, they would have spoken up by now. I would say the certainty of Bobby Jenks being on the south side next year is right around the certainty that Gordon Beckham will be, and that would be 100%.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 12:25 AM)
Which is why Jenks' value has been far too high all along - Jenks won't be traded for beyond his value to the person itself.

If you don't need money or anything further, and a 1992 Honda Civic is worth $2000 to you, you will not sell that car for $1000, because it's worth $2000 to you. The White Sox need the further, but have the money to spend to fill said needs, and have other resources to acquire said need, if push come to shove.

If someone had serious interest in Jenks at this point, they would have spoken up by now. I would say the certainty of Bobby Jenks being on the south side next year is right around the certainty that Gordon Beckham will be, and that would be 100%.

I agree, they appear to be tarketing guys that can bookend with thornton for the set up role outside of Linebrinks balky arm. I bet they are shopping him the best they can as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
I agree, they appear to be tarketing guys that can bookend with thornton for the set up role outside of Linebrinks balky arm. I bet they are shopping him the best they can as well.

This is KW. He's shopping everyone, we know that. There's just no one who's going to have any interest in Linebrink after last season.

From what I read earlier in the year Linebrink was instrumental in getting peavy to accept coming here. They are friends just like putz and Thornton. i think the sox keep linebrink, he could bounce back strong to help save games for his buddy. I completely realize I am taking the angle of emotion with these comments, and KW doesn't usually run on emotion, but this could work out at least for the first half of the year.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
From what I read earlier in the year Linebrink was instrumental in getting peavy to accept coming here. They are friends just like putz and Thornton. i think the sox keep linebrink, he could bounce back strong to help save games for his buddy. I completely realize I am taking the angle of emotion with these comments, and KW doesn't usually run on emotion, but this could work out at least for the first half of the year.

This is the problem with Linebrink. We only get halves. He is paid in full