Sox interested in Yanks' Brett Gardner

beck72

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Yanks certainly don't need him with Granderson so the asking price can't be outrageous. He has decent upside, and can play solid defense. He's one of the few rookie position players to actually see extended playing time in years. Getting Gardner would allow the sox to spend money both on a DH like Matsui and a bullpen arm like Putz.

Interesting. The Yankees clearly don't have a need for Gardner but I'm wondering what the Sox plans would be for him.

He's tremendously fast and a solid defensive outfielder who would be cheap and under the teams control for a few years. I don't know if he could start or how he'd do given serious at-bats but for the right price it could be an intriguing depth option.

I'd be curious what the Sox scouts saw in him, if they thought he is the type of guy that is a true sleeper and will get better of if they look at him more as a quality bench player.

Ozzie has to love the 26 steals vs 5 stolen bases in limited action last year.

It is an outside of the box kind of idea and you got to like the idea of a cheap outfielder, who is a great base-runner, had a decent OBP in his 2nd season in the bigs, and would provide the club with pretty damn good defense.

I wonder what it would cost cause clearly the Yanks don't have a need at any particular areas. Would it be Brett Morel or a group of lesser prospects?

Would you trade Morel for Gardner.

White Sox Reportedly Ask Yankees About Gardner

SN Take

This is a good fit. You'd have to think he's available, as there would be little reason for the Yanks keep him around with Granderson set to roam center. And with the Sox having zero viable in-house options to bat lead-off, Gardner makes sense.

The asking price means a lot, but I can't see the Yankees asking a whole lot for a 26-year-old that served primarily as a bench player, especially if this report is accurate and the Royals are the only other team expressing interest. Chances are the Royals inquire about every young, cheap, average to slightly above average ballplayer. You'd have to think the Sox have the edge.

Were the Sox to pull off a trade, Gardner would immediately take center and serve as the leadoff hitter, with Alex Rios moving over to right. That'll leave them one player away (LF/DH) from having a somewhat realistic opening day lineup.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 05:53 PM)
I like Gardner, but if you get him to play CF, you better find someone with good power to be our DH.

Think of it this way, Gardner in CF, means the Sox spent very little to cover the CF spot, which means they have more money to go after a quality DH. I think the Sox will be working hard to get Jerry to expand the bank a bit so they can ink Matsui and than work on bringing over Japanese advertisers.

Matsui is 100 times the icon that Shingo/Iguchi were in Japan and there should be a lot of money to be made having him on our club for a year or two or three.

Gardner as an occassional starter, a pinch runner and a defensive replacement sounds pretty good. Brett Gardner every day leadoff man is pretty, pretty, sad. And those penciling in Putz as a lights out reliever haven't been paying attention. He is auditioning for teams. They still don't know if he can throw 70 MPH.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)
Gardner as an occassional starter, a pinch runner and a defensive replacement sounds pretty good. Brett Gardner every day leadoff man is pretty, pretty, sad. And those penciling in Putz as a lights out reliever haven't been paying attention. He is auditioning for teams. They still don't know if he can throw 70 MPH.

I'm not claiming to be the foremost expert on Brett Gardner, but what makes you say he can't leadoff for the White Sox? He just may need the opportunity he didn't have with the Yankees. His minor league career was pretty good. He has plus speed, plus defense, and he can take a walk. I think it's worth a shot especially when you have some guys on the bench like Kotsay and Jones.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 08:10 PM)
A career .389 OBP in the minors isn't bad. .414 in AAA in 2008 before getting called up to the Yanks. He won't hit for power, but tons of speed and based upon the stats a pretty advanced eye.

I figure Gardner is about the level of Willie Harris offensively with less power,but makes more contact.He might get on a little more. Fine for the bench, but the ignitor of your offense, you won't have a top of the line offense. He's worth acquiring as long as you don't put too much on him.

Edited by Dick Allen