Who are you pulling for as the DH?

caulfield12

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 07:19 PM)
but but hes listed under free agents

I used to work with a guy that was all about getting Dmitri Young before the deadline in 2005. He would bring it up daily to me. It was rather comical because I think he was very serious about acquiring him.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 09:56 PM)
I used to work with a guy that was all about getting Dmitri Young before the deadline in 2005. He would bring it up daily to me. It was rather comical because I think he was very serious about acquiring him.

it was me....i just love sayin da meat hook, hed always be on my team in video games just so i can yell out OH DA MEAT HOOK!

With Cust off the market (thank goodness), and Vlad seemingly out of the Sox price range, might KW try to pry Brad Hawpe away from the Rockies? His D is brutal, and he had a lousy second half last year, but he's better than the rest of the cheap, retread FAs out there right now.

What else is left anyway? Thome, Damon (probably too expensive), Huff, Delgado, Ankiel, Blaylock...(I don't see Branyon happening here). Outside of a few that will want more money than the Sox will spend, all the options that are left are pretty similar. Maybe KW is just going to wait and see who's left in March and bring the cheapest guy in.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
With Cust off the market (thank goodness), and Vlad seemingly out of the Sox price range, might KW try to pry Brad Hawpe away from the Rockies? His D is brutal, and he had a lousy second half last year, but he's better than the rest of the cheap, retread FAs out there right now.

What else is left anyway? Thome, Damon (probably too expensive), Huff, Delgado, Ankiel, Blaylock...(I don't see Branyon happening here). Outside of a few that will want more money than the Sox will spend, all the options that are left are pretty similar. Maybe KW is just going to wait and see who's left in March and bring the cheapest guy in.

Since they have Seth Smith, Dexter Fowler, and Carlos Gonzalez in the outfield, dealing Hawpe is a real possibility for Colorado. Who would you give up for him though?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 01:31 PM)
Since they have Seth Smith, Dexter Fowler, and Carlos Gonzalez in the outfield, dealing Hawpe is a real possibility for Colorado. Who would you give up for him though?

I'd package up a group of pitchers not named Hudson. That's about the only thing that Colorado needs.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)
I'd package up a group of pitchers not named Hudson. That's about the only thing that Colorado needs.

Who do we seriously have left that would be of significant interest in our upper levels? I feel like right now we're back to "Wait until midseason where a couple guys have really started to shine" territory on everyone except Huddy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
Who do we seriously have left that would be of significant interest in our upper levels?

Yeah. I'm thinking the same thing. I never said that my trade idea would succeed... :)

I'm just saying, that's what Colorado would probably want.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
Who do we seriously have left that would be of significant interest in our upper levels? I feel like right now we're back to "Wait until midseason where a couple guys have really started to shine" territory on everyone except Huddy.

As far as guys near major league ready, its not a pretty list. Charlotte's starting rotation will probably look like: Hynick, Marquez, Shirek, Harrell, Torres. Bullpen probably Santeliz closing, then Rodriguez, and a collection of flotsam. That's pretty much a collection of guys who have a decent chance of being major leaguers, but none of them profile to be terribly great. Nothing that would get you a lot back in trade.

Alright, with Vlad off the market, you have to take a look at signing JD and rotating the DH/RF spot between him and TCQ. Give them each plenty of rest and also use the DH for Konerko some with Kotsay taking over 1st. That would keep all 3 of the older players well-rested (JD, Konerko, Kotsay), as well as give TCQ plenty of chances to DH and stay out of harm's way.

At this point, JD is easily the best target who can be had and could fit in our budget, and he'd sign a one-year incentive-laden contract.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
Alright, with Vlad off the market, you have to take a look at signing JD and rotating the DH/RF spot between him and TCQ. Give them each plenty of rest and also use the DH for Konerko some with Kotsay taking over 1st. That would keep all 3 of the older players well-rested (JD, Konerko, Kotsay), as well as give TCQ plenty of chances to DH and stay out of harm's way.

At this point, JD is easily the best target who can be had and could fit in our budget, and he'd sign a one-year incentive-laden contract.

That makes for a poll idea!

TCQ is in harm's way every time he steps into the batter's box.

Vlad isnt off the market yet. He may of been offered, but he hasnt signed yet(that I can find)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
Vlad isnt off the market yet. He may of been offered, but he hasnt signed yet(that I can find)

It appears Texas is offering Vlad and JD a similar package and if either bites the other one is available. It appears that they would prefer Vlad. I think JD could still be very solid if he would embrace being a DH.

Guerrero is a much better hitter at this point than Dye is. If the Sox are going to sign RH hitter - which they won't, it would have to be Vlad.

I don't believe that the Sox have enough left to sign Vlad and I think they would go for a lefty instead anyway. I also don't believe that they are going to sign a DH before S.T. at the earliest.

I really feel that they want to see what they have so far before they determine if they need anyone else. They want to take another look at Flowers, Teahen, Jones, Viciedo, Rios and Quentin.

The sox almost have to sign Vlad, with his salary being in the $5-7 mill a yr range. While it is true the sox lack a power lefty bat, Vlad can hit both RHP and LHP well--with his hitting better vs. RHP in recent years.

The sox are counting on everything going right for the hitters to be a middle of the pack offense. They need Quentin, Rios, Teahen and Lexi to improve their averages and OPS' from '09. They need AJ and Pierre to repeat their high avg's. They need Gordon to improve. They need PK to be consistent. Conservatively, two of these guys won't hit to career norms. AJ is most likely to see a drop off, as he had a near career year offensively. PK is due for another sub career year. Not to mention an injury could occur that would put a lesser bat into the everyday lineup. For the record, I think Rios, Teahen should improve, and Quentin if he stays healthy. Pierre also seems a good bet to produce with his fresh legs thse last 2 years. Yet going into the season expecting all those pieces to fall into place is too much to ask.

Getting a bat like Vlad for DH would lessen the pressure on the offense. He can hit for average, power and get on base. I don't see PK as DH--he's almost in a platoon situation with his weak splits vs. RHP. The rotating of lesser hitters at DH such as Kotsay, Jones, Tyler Flowers-should he stick with the club, is a poor excuse under the guise of "flexibility". I can see this argument in the 2nd half in order to get guys some rest. But why have a big hole in the offense for 4 months and try and address the gap via trade at the deadline? Better the Sox spend a little extra cash now getting off to a good start in the standings-which will have more people coming out to the park-than having a little financial flexibility so they can add salary at the deadline.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)

Yeah, unfortunately that's what I was thinking too. Is Carlos Torres of any value? He did win a MiLBY! :headbang Anyway, unless the Rockies are OK with getting low level talent from Kanny or WS, it would probably take some position player prospects to get Hawpe.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
Did Jim Thome kill your dog or something?

I don't think its outrageous to think Jermaine Dye will outproduce Jim Thome next year, if given similar roles. I don't think Dye would settle for a similar role, however- he'll probably want more money, years or defensive positions.