Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 02:29 AM)
Hmm, Ill have to keep that in mind, my friend was saying that atleast in Hong Kong everyone speaks english, Ill have to make sure where I go I either have a friend along to help or english is common.

Yeah that's a big difference between India and China. In India I was fortunate in that everyone there (basically) speaks English. In fact, everyone there spoke at least three languages - Hindi, English, and their local dialect. China, I don't know how true that is.

Meanwhile, a lot of kids here in the States can barely speak one language, but that's another discussion.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 07:27 AM)
Yeah that's a big difference between India and China. In India I was fortunate in that everyone there (basically) speaks English. In fact, everyone there spoke at least three languages - Hindi, English, and their local dialect. China, I don't know how true that is.

Meanwhile, a lot of kids here in the States can barely speak one language, but that's another discussion.

Yea, its an interesting discussion, but then again our country wasnt occupied by another country for years, which is really why they were taught the language.

Still, when I went to Italy it was interesting to hear that many schools there require students to learn the basics of English, enough so they can talk to tourists. Im always impressed by those who know more than one language because I have only been able to learn one, and know a very small amount of latin.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
Yea, its an interesting discussion, but then again our country wasnt occupied by another country for years, which is really why they were taught the language.

Still, when I went to Italy it was interesting to hear that many schools there require students to learn the basics of English, enough so they can talk to tourists. Im always impressed by those who know more than one language because I have only been able to learn one, and know a very small amount of latin.

Many countries in Europe require students to take English in addition to another language of their choosing in school. Frankly, I think the US should mandate more foreign language criteria for students here. Start them off at a younger age like they do in Europe as well.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
My God, I just hooked up my MacBook to my HDTV using a 13 dollar cable from Monoprice (Mini DisplayPort to HDMI). f***ing. Sexy.

I do the same thing. Sometimes laying in bed with my wireless mouse and keyboard is glorious.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 04:27 AM)

Kids are starting to learn english in China, but that is for the people who are pretty educated. Walking around and going to restaurants, etc, it will be very difficult to find anyone that speaks english. Usually you have to go with the old point method and order something with a picture otherwise you have absolutely no idea what you are ordering.

Subways are pretty tough too, but they do have machines that translate into english. Beautiful city though, outside of the s***tiest air I've ever seen.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 08:37 PM)
Kids are starting to learn english in China, but that is for the people who are pretty educated. Walking around and going to restaurants, etc, it will be very difficult to find anyone that speaks english. Usually you have to go with the old point method and order something with a picture otherwise you have absolutely no idea what you are ordering.

Subways are pretty tough too, but they do have machines that translate into english. Beautiful city though, outside of the s***tiest air I've ever seen.

Really?? I was there a few years back and it seemed most could at least speak a very broken english. Especially store vendors and in restaurants I had no problem communicating with people there. If you want s***ty air though go to Beijing, it is much worse.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)

I read somewhere that there are more English speakers in China than there are in the United States. Also, they have more honors students than we have kids.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)
For those who have Comcast, they are dropping the price of an HD-DVR to $8 a month. I think I am going to pop for it.

I went ahead and order it, and picked it up today. Let me just say that walk offs look sexy in HD. They are even sexier when rewound and watched again.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 03:45 AM)
Really?? I was there a few years back and it seemed most could at least speak a very broken english. Especially store vendors and in restaurants I had no problem communicating with people there. If you want s***ty air though go to Beijing, it is much worse.

I'm not sure. Some people speak english ok, but on the streets when you are confused it is pretty tough. And in the restaurants I've had a lot of trouble (I've been going to local restaurants a lot so that could be why, but when I have gone to the more western establishments it is much easier).

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
I read somewhere that there are more English speakers in China than there are in the United States. Also, they have more honors students than we have kids.

Well, I imagine it is close. If 30% of the population spoke some broken english than you'd pretty much be talking about a similar size population that speaks english as the US. The people I've talked to say that English has fallen a bit the past few years out here, but the government is trying to push it more and more.

My mother is gonna have back surgery to repair 2 herniated disks at the TOP of her spine. They will have to cut from her neck to go back there. (barely can lift her right arm as it is, and if they wait any longer, she will be paralyzed from the neck down even though she's walking fine now besides her arm) Very dangerous surgery from her other ones. This will be her 4th major surgery in the last 3 years (dangerous job she has with these surgeries, though the money is good of course), but none are as bad as this one.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 02:07 AM)
My mother is gonna have back surgery to repair 2 herniated disks at the TOP of her spine. They will have to cut from her neck to go back there. (barely can lift her right arm as it is, and if they wait any longer, she will be paralyzed from the neck down even though she's walking fine now besides her arm) Very dangerous surgery from her other ones. This will be her 4th major surgery in the last 3 years (dangerous job she has with these surgeries, though the money is good of course), but none are as bad as this one.

All my good thoughts are with your mother, Ace.