Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

Google to Open-source VP8 for HTML5 Video

Google will soon make its VP8 video codec open source, we’ve learned from multiple sources. The company is scheduled to officially announce the release at its Google I/O developers conference next month, a source with knowledge of the announcement said. And with that release, Mozilla — maker of the Firefox browser — and Google Chrome are expected to also announce support for HTML5 video playback using the new open codec.

The move comes as online video publishers are gravitating toward standards-based HTML5 video delivery, bolstered in part by the release of the iPad. However, that acceptance has been slowed by the fact that the industry has yet to agree on a single codec for video playback, with some companies throwing support behind Ogg Theora and others hailing H.264 as the future of web video.

Google’s YouTube, Microsoft’s Internet Explorer 9 and Apple — through its iPad, iPhone and Safari browser — have all thrown their weight behind H.264, which many believe provides superior picture quality and playback to the Ogg Theora codec. However, a few organizations — including Mozilla — refuse to support H.264 due to potential licensing issues. Whereas Ogg Theora is completely open source, the H.264 codec is managed by licensing body MPEG LA. Even though MPEG LA announced in February that it was extending its royalty-free licensing for web video using H.264 through 2016, that was little consolation for Mozilla and others that are committed to supporting open standards.

The result is a divide between which video format can be viewed in which browser. H.264-encoded HTML5 video can be viewed in Apple’s Safari, Google’s Chrome and in the upcoming Internet Explorer 9 browser from Microsoft. Meanwhile, Ogg Theora playback for HTML5 video is supported by Firefox, Chrome and Opera.

:headbang :headbang

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 08:32 PM)
omg I just found out my friend, who works at the Cell and I thought she was just like a regular usher or whatever, knows a bunch of people in the org. and she's telling me all these stories. I'm like why were you holding out on me, we been friends like 10 years wtf? She's met all the players, Ozzie, Kenny, Ozzie's sons, etc.

i bet she's hot.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 09:23 PM)
Ahhh, it's VEISHEA time!

Just heard some chick outside my building on a loudspeaker saying "show me your penis". I'm evidently missing some fun while lesson planning.

Already? When I was there, they did VEISHEA the weekend leading into dead week, so end of April or beginning of May. Weird that they are doing it so early now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)
Well, I'll be damned. Comcast added like 40 HD channels in the last couple of days, making my bill seem almost like a steal. The odd part is that they are all high-quality... I guess xfinity works! :headbang

haha, your bill isnt changed now. Just wait

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 07:15 AM)
Already? When I was there, they did VEISHEA the weekend leading into dead week, so end of April or beginning of May. Weird that they are doing it so early now.

Finals week is the first week of May and Dead week is the last week of April. It's just a week earlier.

So for lunch today, I needed something quick because I have homework I need to start in like 5 minutes (hehe). Anyways, there's a line of cars probably 10 deep, and the 6th car in that is a very slow driver (read: old). He pulls into the BK lot, has all day to get into the drivethru while I wait for 3 more cars to go by, and then I get into the parking lot. I pulled into the 2nd drivethru lane, which is another 10 or so feet of driving, and still beat the old guy driving, and got my order in ahead of his.

Maybe it's not an epic win, but it sure felt like it to me.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
So that volcano in Iceland is really causing a lot of problems for northern Europe. You essentially can't fly in or out of the UK or Scandinavia right now.

"Or something called volcano monitoring..."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
On the bright side, that should stunt some global warming if it ends up being impressive enough.

Not likely from that type of eruption. The only way it's going to affect the climate is if it belches out a ton of sulfur to the atmosphere. Which...if it happens...you wind up worrying more about the acid rain than you do about the short-term 1-2 year cooling.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 02:45 PM)
Rough 24 hours at ISU. Student dies of meningitis and then the body of another student found - had been missing since mid-January - his body was found in a remote university building.

How does someone not find a body in a university building thats probably been there since January?

QUOTE (kev211 @ Apr 15, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
How does someone not find a body in a university building thats probably been there since January?

It's abandoned and apparently they searched the area but not the annex he was in.

Of course, he may not have been there the entire time, don't know.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 07:01 AM)
I'm pretty sure I'm becoming Joe Crede. I f***ed up my back on Sunday and in my softball league, I'm very good defensively at 3rd but I keep popping every damn pitch up, it's quite irritating.

Time to get your hair cut like Crede then.

I want a pyramid-shaped super-tomb:

Nic Cage Buys Pyramid -- To Be Dead In

Nic Cage has purchased himself a fancy new pyramid to stay in -- but he doesn't plan on moving in .... until he's dead.

0415-nic-cage-tomb-ex-tmz.jpg

TMZ has learned Cage recently had a 9-foot tall pyramid-shaped super-tomb built in a New Orleans

cemetery -- with the expectation that it will be his final resting place.

It's unclear why Cage chose a pyramid-shaped building -- but it's probably no coincidence that there happens to be a pyramid-shaped symbol on the poster for his classic film, "National Treasure."

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)
Thoughts on FlashFOrward last night?

It was alright. Another quality ending saved it. Next week looks to be really good though. To me it was one of those episodes that moved essential parts of the story along but wasn't overly exciting. There's bound to be several of those in every series.