Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody ever travel abroad by themselves? Is it recommended? I say this because I am most likely going to study abroad in Hong Kong Spring 2011, and I really want to explore Asia, possibly other places before the semester begins (it starts late, on Feb 1st so I would have about 3 weeks to travel, depending on how much I want to spend). I would go with someone but I most likely will not know anyone traveling there at the same time, and none of my friends will have the time or cash to do it too. I do have friends from Taiwan and other places offering to let me know where to go, and I have no problem traveling alone, just dont really know the whole international traveling alone thing.

From everything I've heard about my China trip, traveling abroad when you don't have a ton of experience traveling is strongly not recommended. There are just too many things that can go wrong, and having some type of buddy system works the best.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
From everything I've heard about my China trip, traveling abroad when you don't have a ton of experience traveling is strongly not recommended. There are just too many things that can go wrong, and having some type of buddy system works the best.

Makes sense. I havent even applied for the trip yet (the application isnt due for a few months for priority deadline) so I dont know if others would want to do a trip beforehand, so Im hoping atleast one other person going on the study abroad trip would want to do the same as me.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
Makes sense. I havent even applied for the trip yet (the application isnt due for a few months for priority deadline) so I dont know if others would want to do a trip beforehand, so Im hoping atleast one other person going on the study abroad trip would want to do the same as me.

If you're worried about "Trouble", I wouldn't not go because of that, although I might avoid doing obviously silly things like going to areas that have civil wars. The way around that is to have a plan for it beforehand.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
Anybody ever travel abroad by themselves? Is it recommended? I say this because I am most likely going to study abroad in Hong Kong Spring 2011, and I really want to explore Asia, possibly other places before the semester begins (it starts late, on Feb 1st so I would have about 3 weeks to travel, depending on how much I want to spend). I would go with someone but I most likely will not know anyone traveling there at the same time, and none of my friends will have the time or cash to do it too. I do have friends from Taiwan and other places offering to let me know where to go, and I have no problem traveling alone, just dont really know the whole international traveling alone thing.

Go for it. It may be risky, maybe foolhardy, but live life. You will always regret more the things you don't do than the things you do.

Im really probably going to go, no matter if I get someone to go with me or not. Since I have friends who will help plan out the trip (giving recommendations on where to go, etc) I dont feel like I would be in too lost, and Im not one to freak out about traveling alone anyways.

Also, tuition and room and board at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is ridiculously cheap, even with flight and books the total is under $9,000 for the semester, and combined with my savings from the semester and summer jobs I could plan a decent trip I believe.

I spent a month in India on business. One of the best things I've ever done.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 01:37 PM)
I spent a month in India on business. One of the best things I've ever done.

Did you ever go out at night? As a 21 yr old at the time of the trip, Im going to be looking for some nightlife (which will be easy to find is my guess) to go along with the cultural experience, was it easy to go out and meet people? India is a place that I wouldnt mind spending a few nights, if not on this trip then in the future.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)
Did you ever go out at night? As a 21 yr old at the time of the trip, Im going to be looking for some nightlife (which will be easy to find is my guess) to go along with the cultural experience, was it easy to go out and meet people? India is a place that I wouldnt mind spending a few nights, if not on this trip then in the future.

Ive been there and yeah I wouldnt worry about it not being safe, Im sure there are areas you will want to avoid but you can say the same about Chicago. Night life is a blast there as well, China men get drunk easy lol and alcohol is cheap.

I did it (Albeit in Europe) in the Spring of 2003 (probably America's lowpoint in popularity). I had not problems and was continually surprised by the kindness and welcoming I received. I have had friends travel alone in Asia (mostly China, Thailand and Japan) and they didn't mind at all.

Just be smart. It's fine.

Well that was a fun morning. 800 or so random computers started rebooting all over my company. I thought we had some new zero day worm that was infecting our company. Well my bad, some genius at McAfee decided to screw up the virus signature files which detected one of the windows system files "svchost.exe" as a virus and then would delete it. So basically most of the day has been steering teams all over my company to remediate a mess up that could of been avoided with some testing on McAfee's part. Cool.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)

I never, ever get drunk on overseas trips. Just too risky. But if you avoid that, you should be OK. Just ask some locals you get to know (and trust) what areas or behaviors to avoid. I did indeed go out at night in India, and it was fun, but pretty tame, where I was.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
Go for it. It may be risky, maybe foolhardy, but live life. You will always regret more the things you don't do than the things you do.

Unless you get kidnapped, shot, stabbed, etc. I'd certainly regret doing it more than I would've regretted not doing it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
Unless you get kidnapped, shot, stabbed, etc.

IF you don't do anything stupid, this won't happen. That includes "trying to hold onto my money if I put myself in a situation where I get mugged"

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
Unless you get kidnapped, shot, stabbed, etc. I'd certainly regret doing it more than I would've regretted not doing it.

Which can happen driving home from a Sox game.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 10:06 PM)
I'm being a bit facetious of course, but I think it's also a little stupid to say you would regret something you don't do more than some of the possible consequences of an action.

I was going to use a condom, but then I thought, "When's the next time I'm going to be in Haiti?".

bad%20idea%20jeans.jpg

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)

I'm in Shanghai right now and its a beautiful city, but by yourself you will have a lot of trouble if you can't speak or know anyone (i.e. friend, translator, tour guide, etc) who speaks Chinese, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 01:38 AM)
I'm in Shanghai right now and its a beautiful city, but by yourself you will have a lot of trouble if you can't speak or know anyone (i.e. friend, translator, tour guide, etc) who speaks Chinese, imo.

Hmm, Ill have to keep that in mind, my friend was saying that atleast in Hong Kong everyone speaks english, Ill have to make sure where I go I either have a friend along to help or english is common.