2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)
How long does that initial $10 million contract require him to stay in their org?

I'm not sure, but I thought a large chunk of that was a one time up front signing bonus, so I think he got a lot of it already. He flat out sucks, he has no control and doesn't even have outstanding movement when he can locate... guess it pays to have long hair and come from Notre Dame!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
I'm not sure, but I thought a large chunk of that was a one time up front signing bonus, so I think he got a lot of it already.

I think the way it was structured, it had a pretty small signing bonus, but a huge dollar amount if he stayed with their org, so that he'd be strongly rewarded for not ditching the Cubs after 2 seasons to try out for the NFL.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
I think the way it was structured, it had a pretty small signing bonus, but a huge dollar amount if he stayed with their org, so that he'd be strongly rewarded for not ditching the Cubs after 2 seasons to try out for the NFL.

ah, OK, that would make more sense, but I didn't put common sense in there because it was the Cubs org that signed him... I just remember seeing it up in the top 5 of draft deals when Strasburgh (sp?) signed this year

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 07:43 PM)
lol, if anyone is jealous, it's them, since we have that Peavy guy

if you follow that facebook post, it is absolutely hysterical. Some totally insecure cubs fans spewing out hilarious garbage

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 07:52 PM)
if you follow that facebook post, it is absolutely hysterical. Some totally insecure cubs fans spewing out hilarious garbage

About the usual crap. Mostly attendance, lol.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 07:27 PM)
Sean Marshall is the only Cub i can root for. I think it's because that organization dicks him around constantly.

Reminds me of my post last week. :P Ya I was a big fan of his when he was at VCU. Thought the Cubs nabbed the steal of the draft that year. Still like him and there are a couple others. (Love D-Lee, Gorzalanny [not his pitching, but his southside roots aka a sox fan)

Most runs the Cubs have allowed on opening day since 1884 (lost 15-1 that year) is crazy to think about.

Atlant.. most runs they scored on opening day since 1900. (when they were the Boston Braves)

Reminds me of my post last week. :P Ya I was a big fan of his when he was at VCU. Thought the Cubs nabbed the steal of the draft that year. Still like him and there are a couple others. (Love D-Lee, Gorzalanny [not his pitching, but his southside roots aka a sox fan)

Most runs the Cubs have allowed on opening day since 1884 (lost 15-1 that year) is crazy to think about.

Atlant.. most runs they scored on opening day since 1900. (when they were the Boston Braves)

Was gonna start a Big Z post but will keep it here. He is turning out to be a mental bust and I wonder if even Silva will outperform him this year. Dunno gotta wait and see but he is getting lit up now for almost 2 years. I think he is almost in bust territory. They gotta pay him for years and years, totally hilarious.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 02:55 AM)
Was gonna start a Big Z post but will keep it here. He is turning out to be a mental bust and I wonder if even Silva will outperform him this year. Dunno gotta wait and see but he is getting lit up now for almost 2 years. I think he is almost in bust territory. They gotta pay him for years and years, totally hilarious.

Whoa, I wouldn't go that far now. lol. Zambrano is basically a #3 (at best a very good #2) being paid like an elite #1. Funny thing is, if Wood and Prior's arms didn't melt away into oblivion, that's exactly what Zambrano would've been: a VERY good#3 starter. He was given the title of "ace" by default. And therefore got paid like an ace. Even though he's nothing of the sort.

Edited by Jordan4life

Whoa, I wouldn't go that far now. lol. Zambrano is basically a #3 (at best a very good #2) being paid like an elite #1. Funny thing is, if Wood and Prior's arms didn't melt away into oblivion, that's exactly what Zambrano would've been: a VERY good#3 starter. He was given the title of "ace" by default. And therefore got paid like an ace. Even though he's nothing of the sort.

J4L, maybe not going that far is true but man when he loses it nobody can reach him at all. Granted on his very good days he has really nasty stuff (Evidenced by the nono against the Stros in late 08) but when he is a headcase he is his own worse enemy and almost a guraranteed loss for the Flubbies (Not that I care much) but just sayin. And his bad moments have by far outnumbered his good ones since the middle of 08 (Save his nono and some occasional quality starts). You are spot on in saying he is definitely not Ace material and a strong number 3 when on his game. They just had no one else to had the mantle to and since Hendry was just handing out those fat contracts who better than Z to give one to he must have thought. Hendry is definitely on his last leg now and on a short leash. I think he gets canned in they don´t do anything this year. But they have a lot of holes.

Edited by chisoxfan09

I think the other part of the bravado they try to live up to is sometimes not realistic. He promised he would perform like an Ace this year in top form but the jury is still out on that one. Also like Dempster almost guranteeing a WS appearance. I could be wrong but the some Sox players have made bold predictions but I wonder if this is only to appeal to fans or if they really believe it.

Gotta love Big Z and his emotions. His career ERA in 6 opening day starts is 6.99, so a game like that can be expected. He just gets so excited and lets his emotions get to him, that he just cant control his pitching. Doesn't matter how good your stuff is, that right there prevents you from ever being an ace.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
Sure Zambrano completely melted down and lasted 4 outs...but he didn't explode! It's a positive sign!

Someone actually wrote that.

If you read the whole article, putting that in context, its actually a good one. Isaacson is no Cubs apologist either. 90% of the article states clearly that the Cubs look bad.

So I check out Zambrano's FanGraphs page today and was very surprised...

They had nothing but hitting stats for him.

Then I saw that his bat was actually worth 0.6 WAR in 08 and came away pretty impressed.

After yesterday's outing, you'd think the guys over at FanGraphs are trying to say something, lol.

Carlos Zambrano is the next Rick Ankiel...xD

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 02:32 PM)
I was listening to M&H this morning and a caller mentioned how Z would be the 5th starter if he were on the White Sox. That really got me thinking...what does everyone else think?

He'd be our 3rd starter slotting behind Buehrle/Peavy and in front of Floyd.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
I was listening to M&H this morning and a caller mentioned how Z would be the 5th starter if he were on the White Sox. That really got me thinking...what does everyone else think?

Well, just keeping it super basic because this means absolutely nothing:

Average IP, ERA+ and WHIP over the past 2 years (normally I'd go 3 years but that would be doing a disservice to Danks and Floyd):

Danks: 197.7  130  1.26

Peavy: 137.7 125 1.16

Buehr: 216 121 1.29

Zambr: 179 118 1.33

Floyd: 199.5 117 1.25