2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
If the Cubs want to move forward, they need to deal the one big contract that has value, Zambrano.

That's if they want to rebuild. They could have a shot this season if they go all in and get a little luckier on injuries to Ramirez et al than they did last year. But there are some serious holes they need to fill. They need a LH bat, maybe at corner OF or middle infield. They're very weak in the bullpen. Their 5th starter remains someone on Carlos Silva's level or worse, and there's a lot of questions higher up in that rotation too.

They could make a run for it this year if they wanted to, but they'd have to be willing to mortgage everything rather than limping along from year to year.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
If the Cubs want to move forward, they need to deal the one big contract that has value, Zambrano.

Value? He's getting paid like he's Tim Lincecum or Roy Halladay (he's obviously not in the same stratosphere as those guys). Without eating a significant chunk of money, he's almost as immovable as Soriano.

And this is off topic: 7.5 million for the next 2 years for John Grabow? I must've missed that. I can't remember the last time one team had as many deplorable multi-year contracts as the Cubs.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
Value? He's getting paid like he's Tim Lincecum or Roy Halladay (he's obviously not in the same stratosphere as those guys). Without eating a significant chunk of money, he's almost as immovable as Soriano.

And this is off topic: 7.5 million for the next 2 years for John Grabow? I must've missed that. I can't remember the last time one team had as many deplorable multi-year contracts as the Cubs.

The Mets and Yankees are the only other ones in the ballpark. The big difference is that the yankees can just spend over them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 09:17 PM)
The Mets and Yankees are the only other ones in the ballpark. The big difference is that the yankees can just spend over them.

The Mets wouldn't have so many contracts considered bad if their guys would stay healthy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
If the 2 Chicago teams swapped GM's, I'd guarantee you that you'd see both Vitters and that new young SS moved before the trading deadline, probably for a starting pitcher and a LH bat, to try to make one last run at it this year.

The really scary part of this would be having Hendry as our G. M.!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)
Health is pretty important part of things. Guy like Aramis and Soriano would look a lot better if they were playing 162 annually.

You can make some judgements in advance about how logical it is to give big contracts to certain guys though. Aramis Ramirez signed his last contract when he was 28, and last season was the first where he didn't give them 550 PA's. Soriano signed his deal when he was 31. And Soriano's was 2 years longer.

If we're talking strictly about the Mets, ok, maybe you expect Delgado to go down because he's old, but Delgado, Beltran, and Reyes?

2 examples of bats I'd be considering if I were the Cubs. First, why is Dan Uggla not a Cub yet? Second, if the Cubs offered up either Castro or Vitters plus a few lower level guys for Grady Sizemore...do you think the Indians would at least be intrigued?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 09:02 AM)
2 examples of bats I'd be considering if I were the Cubs. First, why is Dan Uggla not a Cub yet? Second, if the Cubs offered up either Castro or Vitters plus a few lower level guys for Grady Sizemore...do you think the Indians would at least be intrigued?

He just signed a $7.8 million contract, could they even afford that now? Especially after they gave an OF a big contract for the fourth straight off-season.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
He just signed a $7.8 million contract, could they even afford that now? Especially after they gave an OF a big contract for the fourth straight off-season.

And Xavier Nady's $3.3 mill isn't exactly chump change either. That's a team that just keeps handing out inordinate amounts of money to players for no apparent reason whatsoever.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)
The Cubs are looking to add advertising to above the bleachers. Here is the first... of probably many signs.

Ok, I want some good Chicago Cubs / Toyota jokes. This should be easy. Toyota is giving you an alley-oop here.

heard this one today

How are the Cubs different than a Toyota?

There's no problem getting the Cubs to stop.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
I think I just heard that the Cubs just traded Theriot for a PTBNL.

I read that Andres Blanco was traded.

Oh, and Pinella named Tom Gorzelanny and Carlos Silva to their starting rotation. All I have to say is ha ha ha and ha.

Edit: Can somebody help me out here? Who the hell is Justin Berg, James Russell and Esmailin Caridad? All 3 are slated to open the season in the Cubs bullpen.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
Oh, and Pinella named Tom Gorzelanny and Carlos Silva to their starting rotation. All I have to say is ha ha ha and ha.

My god.. is Sean Marshall that bad? Seems like he's always being dicked around by that organization. I can understand not getting Samardzija a shot who I see as a future BP guy anyway, but Marshall is much better than both of those guys.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
My god.. is Sean Marshall that bad? Seems like he's always being dicked around by that organization. I can understand not getting Samardzija a shot who I see as a future BP guy anyway, but Marshall is much better than both of those guys.

He was horrible in 9 starts last year. ERA was over 5. Decent in relief. But good god that bullpen of theirs looks brutal. Their two best pitchers, Marmol and Grabow, sported BB/9 rates of 7.91 and 4.98.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)

Not only can the Cubs not afford that, but the Marlins won't be as willing as they were to deal anybody who makes money with the new stadium opening in 2012.

i remember they said something about silva changing something, pitching from the other side of the rubber, something like that. hes gien up only one run in his last 12ip or something. (putting that its st aside) can something like that make that much of a difference? if so, i dont see why they didnt do that in seattle..?

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
i remember they said something about silva changing something, pitching from the other side of the rubber, something like that. hes gien up only one run in his last 12ip or something. (putting that its st aside) can something like that make that much of a difference? if so, i dont see why they didnt do that in seattle..?

I doubt it. Control wasn't the only thing that was screwing him over. He was straight up terrible in a lot of aspects.

Edited by chw42