White Sox agree to terms with Tony Pena

whtsoxfan

The White Sox and RHP Tony Pena avoided arbitration Monday by agreeing to a one-year, $1.2 million contract.

Pena had a 4.24 ERA, a 1.53 WHIP and a 26/11 K/BB ratio in 34 innings out of Arizona's bullpen last season before the White Sox snatched him up in July. He did well in a middle relief role in Chicago and will resume the gig in 2010.-per rotoworld

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
Sounds good. I like Pena seemingly more than most, I think he's going to be a very capable late inning reliever for us.

Agree, capable being the key word. He's not great, but he's cheap enough for a capable reliever.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 12:59 AM)
1.2 Mil for Tony "Floating Fastball" Pena. Yay im jumping for joy...gotta love that 1.53 WHIP too.

His high WHIP was largely due to his unsustainably high hit rate (.346 BABIP) which is much higher than his career average of .303. If you regress his BABIP for '09, his luck neutral WHIP would have been around 1.24, which is also known as 2nd best amongst our relievers last year.

I don't know why people are so down on Pena, maybe they dislike the trade and it's affecting their judgment. Pena is a very solid reliever. $1.2m is good value for someone who should come in with a WAR of around 1 next year.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 07:42 PM)
I don't know why people are so down on Pena, maybe they dislike the trade and it's affecting their judgment. Pena is a very solid reliever. $1.2m is good value for someone who should come in with a WAR of around 1 next year.

Hell I didn't like the trade (in terms of value) as most know, but I like Pena and think he will have a very good year for us. I was shocked that he only got 1.2 mil personally.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 08:42 PM)
His high WHIP was largely due to his unsustainably high hit rate (.346 BABIP) which is much higher than his career average of .303. If you regress his BABIP for '09, his luck neutral WHIP would have been around 1.24, which is also known as 2nd best amongst our relievers last year.

I actually dont think hes that bad...i call him a serviceable reliver. I was going to be very mad if he was going to relied upon as the prime RH setup guy. Now that Putz is in the fold I feel much better about Pena and his role.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
apparently ahead of "get a DH that isn't awful"

Between waiting on the last scraps to shake out of the market as teams did last year so successfully (both LA teams for example) and wanting to have 100% cost certainty on his roster, that's not a terrible schedule

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
We have a set MLB time line to get these deals done.

It was a joke.

And Balta, last year I thought that we, ourselves, were waiting to capitalize on a depressed market for good players, only to discover that all the BS they were spouting was true. I 'm about 90% confident that is happening again this year.

Nobody will be down on him if he produces. He was just another MLB middle relief hack last year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
Nobody will be down on him if he produces. He was just another MLB middle relief hack last year.

He put up a 1.36 WHIP (career 1.30), 7.25 K/9 and walked only 9 batters in 36 innings with the Sox last season, these aren't the numbers of a hack. Given that he's going into only his age 28 season and he does possess mid 90's heat, he's a decent bet for 2010.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 06:02 PM)
He is ok, but doesn't excite me. Some one remind me why we let Carrasco go? He did a great job for us.

He was going to make more than the Sox were willing to spend on a superfluous bullpen role and he wanted a chance to start. It was best for both sides that they part ways. The upside of the two players isn't even remotely close, Carrasco maxed out his ability and was one of the best long men in the game, if Pena maxes out he could be an excellent setup man or closer if he has the chops.