Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

Konerko has had a lot of really good half seasons...he's definitely had his struggles as well. At times, his contract has looked like the worst on the roster, with the exceptions of Contreras and obvious ones like Linebrink, Toby Hall or MacDougal. Thome was overpaid last year as well...depending on whether or not you believe KW received any money from the Phils to cover the option year (the infamous Pat Gillick handshake agreement).

In 2009 (Paulie) was perhaps our most consistent hitter, but his power was down a bit.

It will be interesting to see what money Damon and Dye do eventually receive for one year (I don't see the Tigers giving him two). I also am curious if Konerko had entered FA in this market if there are any teams that would give him more than $5-6 million as well. I really can't imagine anyone commiting $7 at his age.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 08:22 PM)
I wonder if we wouldn't be a better ballclub if we could trade Konerko and $6 million in cash for a B prospect....sign Dye for $3-4 million, stick him at 1B and use the other $2 million (in addition to what we're already offering) to sign Damon?

Of course it will NEVER happen, but I'd feel more comfortable with Dye and Damon rather than Konerko/Jones/Kotsay.

I know it's putting JD at a position he has little experience at, and Konerko is probably #1-2 to this generation of Sox fans in popularity...along with Buehrle and maybe Crede third. And he signed for less money after 2005, etc. I don't think JR would allow it, although KW might see the team as being improved, and there's certainly no guarantees about the production of Konerko, Damon or Dye...all are definitely on the downward plane of their career/s at this point.

One problem with this is that Dye and Damon are both older than PK and that neither will be back with the Sox 2011. It would be a lot easier to sign PK to an extension and use him as a DH for 2-3 more years than to deal him, destroy that sense of loyalty, and convince him to come back as a FA.

I'm also not sure that the money would work out. For all we know, Damon may be intent on taking that alleged $14M from Detroit and nothing less.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 11:55 PM)
Could be worse. We could be missing out on a really great player.

I'll second that thought.

Damon is a filler player in the short term anyway.

The Sox just need somebody speedier than Andruw who can be a part time DH.

There's got to be someone out there who'd fit that bill.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 11:58 PM)
I'll second that thought.

Damon is a filler player in the short term anyway.

The Sox just need somebody speedier than Andruw who can be a part time DH.

There's got to be someone out there who'd fit that bill.

I don't mind the Hank Blalock idea people are throwing out there if Damon indeed falls through, although he can't run. While I agree with you that Damon is a short time filler player, I simply can't buy the idea of an AL team whose best DH option is Andruw Jones (or maybe a Jones/Kotsay platoon, I guess) making the playoffs.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 07:38 PM)
IMO, its not happening. I mentioned when I heard they first talked about him early in the offseason, and I heard about some action this week. All I hear now is silence, and that cant be good.

Everything is in Damon's corner right now. Sox aren't going to do anything more so he's just gotta decide.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 12:33 AM)
Everything is in Damon's corner right now. Sox aren't going to do anything more so he's just gotta decide.

I still think the Sox have a shot. It seems pretty clear he doesn't WANT to go to Detroit, so it'll be hard for him to sign that deal I think, even with it being more money.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 12:33 AM)
I don't mind the Hank Blalock idea people are throwing out there if Damon indeed falls through, although he can't run. While I agree with you that Damon is a short time filler player, I simply can't buy the idea of an AL team whose best DH option is Andruw Jones (or maybe a Jones/Kotsay platoon, I guess) making the playoffs.

Ya know there is something to be said that Andruw Jones did hit 17 Hr's in 281 AB's. Now put him at USCF with short porches and give him say 500 AB's, thats about 30 HR out of the DH position. Not bad right, last year Thome hit 23.

We know the same s*** now that we did a while ago: Detroit has the better money, Sox are the better environment. All this other crap, including the differing opinions from different "sources," is meaningless. We'll hear about it when it's announced, just like always. And if Damon had already made his decision then don't you think someone would have announced it by now?

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 12:15 AM)
Ya know there is something to be said that Andruw Jones did hit 17 Hr's in 281 AB's. Now put him at USCF with short porches and give him say 500 AB's, thats about 30 HR out of the DH position. Not bad right, last year Thome hit 23.

When your batting average is in the .220-.230 range and you're getting on at a Pablo Ozuna-esque pace, then yes, you still suck.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 12:30 AM)
When your batting average is in the .220-.230 range and you're getting on at a Pablo Ozuna-esque pace, then yes, you still suck.

"I'll tell ya what Stone Pony, batting average is overrated. It's not what you hit, is when you hit it." - Anonymous :ph34r: :D

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 01:15 AM)

He did do a good job hitting home runs and drawing walks last season. But that was almost entirely early on, as he had a .643 OPS after the All Star Game, and although I'm not a big batting average guy, he hasn't hit above .222 since 2006. I just think he's done, but I hope i'm wrong (even if Damon signs with the Sox.)

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 11:42 PM)
I still think the Sox have a shot. It seems pretty clear he doesn't WANT to go to Detroit, so it'll be hard for him to sign that deal I think, even with it being more money.

OK, don't shoot the messenger and I have no idea who this dude is, he looks like a scout....but here are a few tweets:

An inside source to the negotiations between the ChiSox/Boras/ Johnny Damon stated that a deal is done pending physical #mlb #whitesox

about 4 hours ago from web

Source stated that Damon's contract with the White Sox is complex, and a healthy chunk will be based on player performance #mlb #whitesox

http://twitter.com/Roger26N

This is a pretty random source. What he is reporting may actually add up:

1) Why there is a "delay":

The Sox can't offer the most money up front, but they can offer deferment in the form of performance bonuses. I imagine there are a lot of creative milestones in the contract that would allow for a larger payday. This kind of complexity does explain why it would take time to hammer out a deal

2) Why the action just "stopped":

After a brief comment from KW and a cryptic statement from the Front Office, today brought a sudden silence from all camps. I know Kenny would demand a gag order if the deal is pending finalization.

Take it for what it's worth...

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)
You jumped into the middle of a debate over whether it's a better idea to use the DH/committee and wait for a player to open up to trade for, or to sign someone. So I was assuming that what you had interjected was in someway related.

I'm not sure what you're missing here. I was commenting on your words to someone else:

"Again, I find it ironic, then, that you want to trade away the talent that we'd have cheaply for 6 years in the future for a one or two year player we can't afford to re-sign."

You're right, it doesn't have anything to do with signing or not-signing Damon. I never said that it did.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 01:01 AM)
OK, don't shoot the messenger and I have no idea who this dude is, he looks like a scout....but here are a few tweets:

An inside source to the negotiations between the ChiSox/Boras/ Johnny Damon stated that a deal is done pending physical #mlb #whitesox

Source stated that Damon's contract with the White Sox is complex, and a healthy chunk will be based on player performance #mlb #whitesox

The Sox can't offer the most money up front, but they can offer deferment in the form of performance bonuses. I imagine there are a lot of creative milestones in the contract that would allow for a larger payday. This kind of complexity does explain why it would take time to hammer out a deal

After a brief comment from KW and a cryptic statement from the Front Office, today brought a sudden silence from all camps. I know Kenny would demand a gag order if the deal is pending finalization.

Who the hell is that guy?

If he's a scout, then why does he have NFL stuff all over the place?

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 12:58 AM)
He did do a good job hitting home runs and drawing walks last season. But that was almost entirely early on, as he had a .643 OPS after the All Star Game, and although I'm not a big batting average guy, he hasn't hit above .222 since 2006. I just think he's done, but I hope i'm wrong (even if Damon signs with the Sox.)

He got hurt.

If Jones can stay healthy and produce anything close to what he did before the ASB, then this team doesn't need Damon. But we all know the chances of that happening are pretty slim, I'd say 10-15%.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 01:01 AM)

Lets hope to god that guy is right.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 01:11 AM)
And Josh Fields a while back? Joe Borchard too huh? lol

Plans were to have Fields at QB.

This reminds me of NCAA 10's TeamBuilder...I remember making the White Sox and the game would actually say "Jose Conteras". I was confused.

Fatolo was OL.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 01:05 AM)
Who the hell is that guy?

Yeah, it's random as hell but what if he actually knows something? I mean, I just can't see why he'd pop up with that kind of detail. How insane would it be if this dude broke the report

before anybody else?

Man, I don't know. These are some weird times...

Edited by bucket-of-suck

QUOTE (Ranger @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 01:01 AM)
I'm not sure what you're missing here. I was commenting on your words to someone else:

"Again, I find it ironic, then, that you want to trade away the talent that we'd have cheaply for 6 years in the future for a one or two year player we can't afford to re-sign."

You're right, it doesn't have anything to do with signing or not-signing Damon. I never said that it did.

Chris, how do you do it? These dudes always find you.