New Bears Stadium

I know it may not matter because the Bears still sell out but I know a good chunk of fans that will not go to a game if it's snowing/cold. I don't understand the whole Bears identity thing either, or how playing where they do gives them "prestige." I really think that kind of stuff only matters in baseball where the games are played all summer and someone in town might go catch a game if the stadium is downtown. I don't think for one second that anything with the Bears would change if they moved inside or out of their current location.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
The Cubs will never, ever, move out of Wrigleyville. I don't understand why people still think this could happen. the Cubs live and die with that field, in that neighborhood. Moving the suburbs makes no sense for them under any circumstances.

I don't know how it'll go down, but that stadium isn't going to last forever, and the price of legit restoration of a historic building in the middle of a city is going to be huge. Just bringing it up to code.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
I don't know how it'll go down, but that stadium isn't going to last forever, and the price of legit restoration of a historic building in the middle of a city is going to be huge. Just bringing it up to code.

Its on the same scale as a new stadium ground-up, I've seen the numbers in various articles. The Cubs are already planning piece-by-piece renovations of the stadium, over time. When they get to a point where even that won't do, they'll spend 1 season milling around The Cell and other stadiums in the area, and then get the new one in Wrigleyville the next spring.

You know me Balta, I'm usually a shades-of-grey analyst, but on this one I am 100% sure the Cubs will not leave Wrigleyville, unless that neighborhood turns into a war zone.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
Its on the same scale as a new stadium ground-up, I've seen the numbers in various articles. The Cubs are already planning piece-by-piece renovations of the stadium, over time. When they get to a point where even that won't do, they'll spend 1 season milling around The Cell and other stadiums in the area, and then get the new one in Wrigleyville the next spring.

You know me Balta, I'm usually a shades-of-grey analyst, but on this one I am 100% sure the Cubs will not leave Wrigleyville, unless that neighborhood turns into a war zone.

Ugh...the Cubs playing home games at the Cell sickens me. But hey, if it means they lose Wrigley (I think it'd be in the next 15 years) then I'm for it...

But I agree, they won't ever leave Wrigleyville.

If one team left the city, I always thought it would be the Sox. But I could see the Cubs in the suburbs. Other teams have made the move and survived. It's unlikely, but I would not rule it out. I always felt the Schaumburg White Sox would forever outdraw the Cubs.

And I could even easier see the Bears out in the burbs. Yeah it would suck, but a dome in the burbs would be sold out for the next two decades.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
You dont think that the view of Chicago and the Lakefront sells the Bears brand better than a field in the middle of no where?

And since the Bears sell out every game and have a huge waiting list for season tickets, it seems that most people are fine with the elements.

I think the Bears sell the Bears' brand. Wrigley sells the Cubs.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
You dont think that the view of Chicago and the Lakefront sells the Bears brand better than a field in the middle of no where?

And since the Bears sell out every game and have a huge waiting list for season tickets, it seems that most people are fine with the elements.

I think soldier field itself is synonymous with the Bears brand, 100%. Coming down into chicago, on the lakefront, to watch the bears is part of the experience. They are the Chicago Bears and part of that is where they are located. I dont see them ever moving out of the city, if anything they could move farther south down the lakefront.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 06:53 PM)
I think soldier field itself is synonymous with the Bears brand, 100%. Coming down into chicago, on the lakefront, to watch the bears is part of the experience. They are the Chicago Bears and part of that is where they are located. I dont see them ever moving out of the city, if anything they could move farther south down the lakefront.

But it's not something the need like the Cubs need Wrigley. The Bears play the most popular sport in America in the biggest undivided market in America.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)
But it's not something the need like the Cubs need Wrigley. The Bears play the most popular sport in America in the biggest undivided market in America.

Right, the Bears will draw wherever they would be located most likey, but I also think they are the least likely to move out of the city.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)

Right, the Bears will draw wherever they would be located most likey, but I also think they are the least likely to move out of the city. They are by far the most popular team in Chicago, and are more symbolic of the city than any other teams here. They would never let them leave.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
I'm the opposite. I don't want anything to do with going to a bears game past october. I don't like sitting in the cold. They should have a dome.

This, plus putting a permanant roof or retractable roof on it would make it very likely you would see Final Fours and a Super Bowl or 2 in Chicago. The Bears threatened to move to Arlington Heights many many years ago near Arlington Park. I believe the first mayor Daley was in office then and he told them they couldn't use Chicago in their name if they didn't play in the city limits.

I am totally against publicly financed stadiums anymore. People are hurt. The McCaskeys aren't. Why should anyone pay so they can make more money? If the Bears don't like their $40 million a year profit, leave. I'm sure another NFL team wouldn't mind taking their place.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 06:04 PM)
Right, the Bears will draw wherever they would be located most likey, but I also think they are the least likely to move out of the city. They are by far the most popular team in Chicago, and are more symbolic of the city than any other teams here. They would never let them leave.

Quoted For Truth. Cubs also won't leave, but it's because they actually do need Wrigleyville.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
In my simplistic mind, places like the Sears Center in Hoffman Estates (oh what a DUMB idea it was to build that!) and the Rosemont Horizon (excuse me, AllState Arean) are more direct competition to the UC than a domed football stadium.

If they could take the Sears Center and dump it over by that industrial area that is for sale near the Clybourn Metra stop, it would be the perfect venue for DePaul basketball. Where it is, makes no sense. Its actually a real nice small arena.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 07:44 PM)
If they could take the Sears Center and dump it over by that industrial area that is for sale near the Clybourn Metra stop, it would be the perfect venue for DePaul basketball. Where it is, makes no sense. Its actually a real nice small arena.

Is that in Lincoln Park where that industrial company was until they decided to move I think more south? I read they were thinking about making a stadium there, but parking would be tight and there's only one way in and out. It would be beaufitful off the river though.

People can complain about the spaceship and all that, but the sightlines and appearance inside Soldier Field is very good. The problem is, maybe the biggest reason Soldier Field has such good sightlines is how small it is. The Bears mistake was that they didn't build a stadium with about 10 thousand more seats, and they are paying for it now. I can't see a team with a stadium that is only about 7 years old (it was a brand new stadium in 2003 no matter what they say) getting much support on an issue like this in our current economy though. The Bears are the one team that could put their stadium in the middle of an empty field in an isolated suburb and still fill the stadium with 75 thousand fans every game though. Although some would argue that's part of their problem right now, they have no reason to care about winning. They actually have far less incentive to try and win than the Cubs even do.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 07:31 PM)
The Bears threatened to move to Arlington Heights many many years ago near Arlington Park.

I dont know if people really know JUST how close the Bears were to moving to Elk Grove. I have few "inside sources" on anything, but on this I do... they were extremely close.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 11:11 PM)
Although some would argue that's part of their problem right now, they have no reason to care about winning. They actually have far less incentive to try and win than the Cubs even do.

I see football as being much different than baseball because of how the two sports are structured economically. Football currently has a salary floor and ceiling with revenue sharing. Baseball has nothing other than revenue sharing to make it SEEM as if they actually care about Tampa or KC. Baseball's financial structure is based on haves and have nots. Football is designed for parody.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)
I see football as being much different than baseball because of how the two sports are structured economically. Football currently has a salary floor and ceiling with revenue sharing. Baseball has nothing other than revenue sharing to make it SEEM as if they actually care about Tampa or KC. Baseball's financial structure is based on haves and have nots. Football is designed for parody.

Football is designed to be a mockery of itself? ;)

Parity :D

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)
I see football as being much different than baseball because of how the two sports are structured economically. Football currently has a salary floor and ceiling with revenue sharing. Baseball has nothing other than revenue sharing to make it SEEM as if they actually care about Tampa or KC. Baseball's financial structure is based on haves and have nots. Football is designed for Parity.

The Lincoln Park property you guys are referring to, I think, is the current Finkl steel plant, which is closing this year. Its like 8 acres, in the middle of west LP. Its also not particularly close to any El stop, and the roads around there would be an abject nightmare if they put a stadium there. Also, the land is worth a looooooooooot of money, so I don't know who would be able to buy it, considering the length of return for that sort of thing.