• Alejandro De Aza
    • Tyler Flowers
    • Stefan Gartrell
    • Brent Lillibridge
    • Josh Kroeger
    • Dayan Viciedo
    • Someone else
    • No one - we'll carry an 8th BP pitcher

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)
I think it'll most likely be Nix because he has more versatility than CJ. De Aza will be interesting to watch as the injury-replacement OFer.

While I agree it would probably be Nix, I don't get the idea that he has more versatility than Retherford. I'd in fact say the opposite. The reason for Nix is that CJ has not been above AA, Nix is a known commodity who can hit a little bit in the majors, and CJ's not on the 40 (as Kalapse eluded to previously).

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
It will be Nix no doubt. I like Retherford a year or two from now, depending how he hits in AAA as he wasn't too good in the fall league. Hopefully we see Nix improve at SS/3B though. I like De Aza if Pierre gets hurt though.

I think if Gartrell hits well in AAA in 2010, he gets a call-up before De Aza does. I've heard noises through some of the Sox' trumpeters that make me think they like Gartrell more than most non-team people do.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
I think if Gartrell hits well in AAA in 2010, he gets a call-up before De Aza does. I've heard noises through some of the Sox' trumpeters that make me think they like Gartrell more than most non-team people do.

Gartrell seems like Lyle Mouton Part II.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
I'm not saying he's good - I'm saying I just get the impression that the Sox like him.

Mouton played in the bigs for several years. If Gartrell does the same, he should consider himself fortunate.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
Mouton played in the bigs for several years. If Gartrell does the same, he should consider himself fortunate.

Yeah, like I said, not making a qualitative assessment here - I don't know enough about him to do that, one way or another. Just saying I think the org is high on him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)
While I agree it would probably be Nix, I don't get the idea that he has more versatility than Retherford. I'd in fact say the opposite. The reason for Nix is that CJ has not been above AA, Nix is a known commodity who can hit a little bit in the majors, and CJ's not on the 40 (as Kalapse eluded to previously).

I understand what you're saying, and maybe I should have said Nix has more versatility at this time. I really like CJ and I'm excited to see where he fits in the future, I just think that right now Nix is a better with his experience, and having already acted as a utility IFer.

I don't even see this as a competition. Unless another GM offers KW something of value for Nix, which is extremely unlikely, he will be the extra infielder on the opening day roster. Nix has no options left, so you might as well start the season with him and see what you have. That way if someone gets hurt early on, you at least have Lillibridge in AAA to take on Nix's role. As horrible as that sounds, he at least has some value as a late innning defensive replacement and pinch runner.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 06:48 PM)
I don't even see this as a competition. Unless another GM offers KW something of value for Nix, which is extremely unlikely, he will be the extra infielder on the opening day roster. Nix has no options left, so you might as well start the season with him and see what you have. That way if someone gets hurt early on, you at least have Lillibridge in AAA to take on Nix's role. As horrible as that sounds, he at least has some value as a late innning defensive replacement and pinch runner.

Who is Brent Lillibridge going to replace for defensive purposes late in a ballgame?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 06:51 PM)
Who is Brent Lillibridge going to replace for defensive purposes late in a ballgame?

Jayson Nix when he starts, which will happen more frequently if he's your primary backup infielder. You could also take Teahen out of a game and move Vizquel to 3B, assuming he's the new starter at 2B/SS, and put Lillibridge at either of those positiions. He can also play some CF if you want to use him as a pinch-runner for an outfielder. In a perfect world, your second backup infielder shouldn't be getting a lot of playing time anyways.

I guess my question would be what's a better internal option at the moment for the 2nd backup infielder in the event of an injury? I don't think Retherford is quite ready yet and I'd rather give him a little more time to develop with regular playing time.

Edited by Chicago White Sox