Interleague X Factor

nubeerski

Based on sports analysts and pundits, it appears that the AL Central will come down to a battle between the White Sox and Minnesota Twins. The loss of Joe Nathan definitely tips the balance closer to parity with regards to these two teams. Perusing the schedules, I noticed that we have lucked out quite significantly as we play some weaker competition compared to the Twins in Interleague action. In years past, we had the 6 games against the very competitive Cubs teams when they were at their peak. However, they have aged and are slipping toward mediocrity. The Sox play the Nationals, Pirates, and the Marlins. These are bottom of the barrel type teams. The Twins, on the other hand, play the Rockies(NL West Division co-favorite), Phillies (WS Runnerup), and the Mets. I feel like this schedule imbalance can be the type of break to edge the Twins in the division race.

Here is the Interleague schedule for the Sox and Twins:

White Sox

Home

Marlins

Braves

Cubs

Away

Cubs

Pirates

Nationals

Twins

Home

Brewers

Braves

Rockies

Away

Brewers

Phillies

Mets

Based on sports analysts and pundits, it appears that the AL Central will come down to a battle between the White Sox and Minnesota Twins. The loss of Joe Nathan definitely tips the balance closer to parity with regards to these two teams. Perusing the schedules, I noticed that we have lucked out quite significantly as we play some weaker competition compared to the Twins in Interleague action. In years past, we had the 6 games against the very competitive Cubs teams when they were at their peak. However, they have aged and are slipping toward mediocrity. The Sox play the Nationals, Pirates, and the Marlins. These are bottom of the barrel type teams. The Twins, on the other hand, play the Rockies(NL West Division co-favorite), Phillies (WS Runnerup), and the Mets. I feel like this schedule imbalance can be the type of break to edge the Twins in the division race.

White Sox

Home

Marlins

Braves

Cubs

Away

Cubs

Pirates

Nationals

Twins

Home

Brewers

Braves

Rockies

Away

Brewers

Phillies

Mets

If we can squeeze out an 11-7 record that would be good. Hopefully 12-6 and win every series. That´s just askin for too much.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 02:12 AM)
If we can squeeze out an 11-7 record that would be good. Hopefully 12-6 and win every series. That´s just askin for too much.

No it's not. The Sox have 6 games against the Nationals and Pirates. That should be 5 wins.

QUOTE (nubeerski @ Apr 3, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)

White Sox

Home

Marlins

Braves

Cubs

Away

Cubs

Pirates

Nationals

Twins

Home

Brewers

Braves

Rockies

Away

Brewers

Phillies

Mets

This is somewhat interesting. I don't really see it playing a significant factor on who wins the central. But indeed something to look at down the road.

By the way and this is kinda off-topic, but am I crazy when I say the NL west is arguably the second best division in baseball? That division is overflowing with elite talent.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 03:36 AM)
This is somewhat interesting. I don't really see it playing a significant factor on who wins the central. But indeed something to look at down the road.

By the way and this is kinda off-topic, but am I crazy when I say the NL west is arguably the second best division in baseball? That division is overflowing with elite talent.

It seems like the "best division in baseball" moniker moves around a lot more rapidly than we'd like to think. Only 3 years or so ago the NL West was viewed as a debacle.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 08:36 AM)
It seems like the "best division in baseball" moniker moves around a lot more rapidly than we'd like to think. Only 3 years or so ago the NL West was viewed as a debacle.

Yeah I remember it was a race to which team could be over .500 to get to the playoffs. The Padres always seemed to manage to be the best of the bad

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 08:36 AM)

Well, the best division is obviously the AL east, and has been for the last few years. But that NL west looks pretty damn good on paper. Not to mention the NL east (especially if the Mets can get healthy) looks pretty strong at the top. The NL central still blows. But this is the strongest the NL has looked as a whole in a while, IMO.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
That was 4 years ago and it was an anomaly. The Rays might legitimately be the third best team in baseball. That's all you need to know about the AL east.

I know it was 4 years ago, that's why I put 2006 in there. The team that won the series that year had 83 wins in what would have probably been considered the worst division. The "best division in baseball" doesn't necessarily mean anything.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
I know it was 4 years ago, that's why I put 2006 in there. The team that won the series that year had 83 wins in what would have probably been considered the worst division. The "best division in baseball" doesn't necessarily mean anything.

It's probably also worth considering that the quality of the bottom 2-3 teams in each division are going to affect how the records of the top 2 teams in each division come out. You could have 2 100 win teams in a division if the Pirates and the clones-of-the-Pirates were the bottom 2 teams.