How long of a leash does Freddy get?

MHizzle85

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)
Freddy's velocity was really bad yesterday, he was only around 87 and never got it up above 90.

But if he keeps throwing around 90-92 like he did against the Twins, he should be ok.

I don't know what it is, but it appears that our pitchers are losing velocity up there in Toronto.

Must be all the Molson Ice.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 10:12 AM)
It will be interesting to see what becomes of Jenks, Konerko, AJ and Buehrle. They're the last four surviving links to 2005.

Hard to imagine parting with all four before 2011. It's going to be the key decision of KW's tenure about moving Buehrle/Floyd/Danks. Danks would seem like the logical choice, since he's been more unwilling to accept a "favorable" (below market value) contract from the club perspective.

Santos=Jenks

Viciedo=Konerko (in a perfect world, certainly not with a 600 OPS so far at Charlotte)

Flowers=AJ

Hudson can take the place of Danks. It really scares me to trade Danks over Floyd, simply because I think Danks is going to end up as the better pitcher looking back 5 years from now...

It does make for a much more interesting trade if you're the Padres....although Danks starts to look more and more expensive in arbitration, like Jenks has become. Danks/Danks/Flowers will definitely get you Adrian Gonzalez. Or Danks/Santos/Flowers.

The problem is that KW has to pull another rabbit out of his hat to replace that other spot in the starting rotation. It's not likely to be Torres, Marquez, Cassell, Harrell, Hynick, etc.

What I'd like to see is whether there's ANY possibility in the world to convert Sergio Santos into a starting pitcher. It's a 1/20 shot, but it's worth kicking the tires on. Letting him "stretch" out and develop his offspeed stuff would have nothing but positive consequences for his development.

If we saved all the money from Jenks, Konerko and AJ, we could use it to resign Gonzalez long-term.

Or something I don't believe I'm saying, bringing back Jermaine Dye to play 1B....if we don't pay Konerko $10-15 million for 2 years and/or Viciedo is FAIL.

If KW trades for AGon, he'll certainly pick up next year's very affordable team option, but I imagine that somebody else gives AGon that massive contract. This dude is going to get $100M+ on the FA market, and it's highly unlikely that Kenny spends that kind of money. I think it's much more likely that PK gets an extension this winter (3-year/$20M?) and becomes our primary DH.

If the Sox play .500 ball through this year and don't improve by next June, I imagine that Kenny will have a sit-down with Mark to see if he really wants to retire after his current contract expires. If so, a deal to St. Louis might be in play just to dump half of that remaining year of salary.

Edited by WCSox

If PK comes back, it will be for about half of his current total. Even at $6 mil, some would question his value considering his age/decline and at that price considering all the other options available through trade and next year's free agency. I just don't see the Sox giving AGon $100+mil. Seems like bringing PK back at the reduced price and bringing in Adam LaRoche next year for around $6mil would fill two holes for the same money we are currently paying PK as most of us feel Viciedo probably won't be ready.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)
Freddy's velocity was really bad yesterday, he was only around 87 and never got it up above 90.

But if he keeps throwing around 90-92 like he did against the Twins, he should be ok.

I don't know what it is, but it appears that our pitchers are losing velocity up there in Toronto.

I think freddy will stick around for a while as the #5. One great outing and one horrible outing from him so far is pretty much what you can expect from that spot. The problem is when he has the bad outing and it taxes the bullpen. We don't have a long man in the pen like years past who can go out and throw 4 meaningless innings. All of our relievers are one or two inning guys.

As far as trading John Danks. I would hate to do that. Hes our youngest pitcher, still before his prime, and at times a dominant lefty. Not only that but the dude is a great competitor. Pretty good chance he evolves into a top of the rotation guy in the next couple of years.

If Hudson pitches great at AAA, I expect him to be the starting pitcher on June 3 vs Texas.

Freddy is going to get nine starts, and he'll have 3 quality starts and 2 wins, and the Sox will probably go 3-6 in his starts and he'll be moved to the bullpen.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
If Hudson pitches great at AAA, I expect him to be the starting pitcher on June 3 vs Texas.

Freddy is going to get nine starts, and he'll have 3 quality starts and 2 wins, and the Sox will probably go 3-6 in his starts and he'll be moved to the bullpen.

Who would then get moved out of the bullpen to make room for Freddy?

Not sure. Maybe Freddy will just be gone. Maybe they'll dump Williams and not have two lefties. Maybesomebody will be on the DL. I just don't think Hudson will be held up if he pitches great in AAA. If he's ready, he'll be up.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
Who would then get moved out of the bullpen to make room for Freddy?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 09:45 AM)
Before commenting, let's all take a moment to re-read the Hardball times piece from a few years ago giving the average ERA of each starting position throughout the league.

Very interesting read. Thanks for posting and for the MBINAA crowd, I love this quote

In other words, an AL pitcher who managed an ERA under 4.00 over 32 starts very likely qualifies as an ace

How about for a career?

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
Not sure. Maybe Freddy will just be gone. Maybe they'll dump Williams and not have two lefties. Maybesomebody will be on the DL. I just don't think Hudson will be held up if he pitches great in AAA. If he's ready, he'll be up.

If there is just one thing that is a sure thing when it comes to a team ozzie guillen manages... it's that there will always be two lefties in the pen... and one will generally be awful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I give garcia anywhere from 50-80 innings before hudson comes up. I envision hudson being vital to the white sox success this season.

We are still gonna need a bat this season, i'm convinced. Lance berkman is gonna look mighty good in a white sox uniform.

Jake Peavey= no good games and 2 bad games

Freddie Garcia= one good game and one bad game

Mark Buerhle= 2 good games and one bad game

Deduction from this is that it is way to early to start this type of thread and worry about our pitching. Now if you want to criticize an inconsistent offense I am all for that

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
If the White Sox picked up a DH/1B type like Berkman, would Ozzie do the smart thing and bench Pierre? Or do you think they're married to the idea of a traditional lead-off hitter?

I doubt they would put a newly acquired berkman on the bench in favor of pierre. Berkman is one few of the elite players hitters in the mlb, but he seemingly does it quietly. The line-up would be significantly improved, with a chance to actually be dangerous. Dh berkman, and put jones and pierre in left, they would essentially become a platoon. It really matter who leads off with considering how much berkman upgrades this team. A ''bad'' berkman would still very likely be our teams best hitter.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
I doubt they would put a newly acquired berkman on the bench in favor of pierre. Berkman is one few of the elite players hitters in the mlb, but he seemingly does it quietly. The line-up would be significantly improved, with a chance to actually be dangerous. Dh berkman, and put jones and pierre in left, they would essentially become a platoon. It really matter who leads off with considering how much berkman upgrades this team. A ''bad'' berkman would still very likely be our teams best hitter.

I don't question that they would start Berkman. The question is whether they would start Pierre or Jones.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
I don't question that they would start Berkman. The question is whether they would start Pierre or Jones.

All will depends on productivity at that point. Couldn't even give you the slightest bit of an answer as it's just too early. Hopefully jones will warrant the playing time, as he has the ability to help this team much more than pierre.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 04:07 PM)
All will depends on productivity at that point. Couldn't even give you the slightest bit of an answer as it's just too early. Hopefully jones will warrant the playing time, as he has the ability to help this team much more than pierre.

Id imagine by the time the trade happens it will be earliest June so if Jones keeps hitting like he is now no way Pierre plays over him. My best guess is Rios would be the leadoff guy, Berkman 3rd.

The big question is can we actually stay close enough to the Twins to make any of this matter?

Look at their schedule the next couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, we're playing Tampa Bay, Seattle (who will shut down our offense completely and win the close games), we've got a pretty tough schedule the next month.

With the exception of the Twins series, this should have been the time to take advantage of playing the Indians, instead we're burying ourselves in a hole right out of the gate.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
They're skipping Garcia's next start in favor of Buehrle.

This is pretty good news for Hudson fans. If you have your starts being skipped 3 turns into the season, it doesn't bode well for being around much longer. Freddy actually looked good his first start, but then was pounded just like spring training. Chances are he doesn't pitch much more for the Sox than he did last season.