HAWKS WIN! HAWKS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is such a good team when they just play smart. They were running around like chickens with their heads cut off early, and were fortunate it wasn't 3-0 or even 4-0. But after that, they got the goal to make it 2-1 and settled down big time. It wasn't perfect, and they got a bounce or two, but the Hawks were clearly the better team for the last 50 some odd minutes (although some really stupid penalties all night, going back to the play smart point.) I don't know if you can learn playing smarter on the fly, but the Hawks can still do big things in this postseason if they just play with intelligence. I like their chances to get 1 up there, and if they do, I'd take my chances with home ice in a best of 3.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 4, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)
That was a great win. It seems home ice in hockey isn't as significant as home court in basketball for some reason. Some of these home NBA playoff games have been massacres.

That's because the NBA is a joke.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:01 AM)
Am I the only one thats shocked that Detroit is down 0-3 to the Sharks?

I'm most shocked by the way it's happened.

The Wings have blown late leads, and that's not usually like them.

I wonder if they give Osgood a start in Game 4 out of sentimentality, because they are not coming back from this.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 5, 2010 -> 02:32 AM)
I wonder if they give Osgood a start in Game 4 out of sentimentality, because they are not coming back from this.

I would personally. Howard has been terrible this series. Barring a MAJOR choke job by the Sharks (still wouldn't put it past them) Hawks (or Canucks) will be playing them in the WCF (and if it's the Hawks I really like our chances as they usually match-up well against the Sharks, more-so than the Canucks) I'm sure the Sharks are pulling for the Canucks as they usually own them when they played.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:36 AM)
I would personally. Howard has been terrible this series. Barring a MAJOR choke job by the Sharks (still wouldn't put it past them) Hawks (or Canucks) will be playing them in the WCF (and if it's the Hawks I really like our chances as they usually match-up well against the Sharks, more-so than the Canucks) I'm sure the Sharks are pulling for the Canucks as they usually own them when they played.

That game-tying goal was absolutely unacceptable. The guy was in the corner with no angle and Howard let him sneak it under his stick 5-hole. I agree that the Hawks match-up well against the Sharks, I'd feel more confident against them than I do now vs. Vancouver.

These late game short-handed goals have made for some awesome moments at the UC, but we can we please stop f***ing around? Just go out there and play a full 60 minute game and beat these fools. You can't keep screwing around with a team like the Canucks, they will make you pay. At least win one out there, bring it back to Chicago 2-2 with home-ice again.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:01 AM)
Am I the only one thats shocked that Detroit is down 0-3 to the Sharks?

No.

And last night's game reminded me a lot of 05WS Game 3; home team, already down 0-2, blows comfortable lead, loses in extra time, and series goes from a contest to just about over in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 5, 2010 -> 12:03 AM)
That's because the NBA is a joke.

Exactly. The NBA is only a small step below the WWE now as far as I'm concerned between the Donaghy thing and just how blatant the officiating is favoring the home team and the superstars. I've lost a lot of my taste for that league in recent years.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 5, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
Exactly. The NBA is only a small step below the WWE now as far as I'm concerned between the Donaghy thing and just how blatant the officiating is favoring the home team and the superstars. I've lost a lot of my taste for that league in recent years.

The refs are ridiculous. The Phantom fouls need to go away, the traveling is extinct. While the NHL playoffs get better, the NBA gets worse.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 5, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)

Not to mention the completely inferior product they put on the courts every night.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 5, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
The refs are ridiculous. The Phantom fouls need to go away, the traveling is extinct. While the NHL playoffs get better, the NBA gets worse.

Yet if you listen to B&B on the score you would think NBA playoff basketball is the greatest thing there is.

You have to wonder how much the quick turnaround after game 7 against Phoenix hurt Detroit. They had to play on Thursday after game 7 on Tuesday, because HP Pavillion was booked for a concert Fri-Sat. But they have nobody to blame but themselves, Howard was awful last night. I didn't see the game, but did see the highlights and two of the goals he allowed were complete softies (especially the one from the side of the net).

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 5, 2010 -> 11:29 AM)
Yet if you listen to B&B on the score you would think NBA playoff basketball is the greatest thing there is.

My biggest problem with the NBA playoffs is there are just way too many teams that make it. Realistically, how many teams in the playoffs have a legitimate shot at winning the title? three? I think the No. 8 seed has upset the No. 1 like three times in history, and one of those times was the lockout year in 1999. The first round is a complete waste of time.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 5, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
My biggest problem with the NBA playoffs is there are just way too many teams that make it. Realistically, how many teams in the playoffs have a legitimate shot at winning the title? three? I think the No. 8 seed has upset the No. 1 like three times in history, and one of those times was the lockout year in 1999. The first round is a complete waste of time.

And it is the thing that makes pretty much any other post-season event more interesting... NCAA hoops, baseball, hockey, football etc.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 5, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
I like watching the NBA playoffs. I also like the NHL. These two things can co-exist!

I don't dislike the NBA because I like the NHL. I liked both leagues for a long time and co-existed easily. I dislike the NBA because it absolutely sucks.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 5, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)

Well in the NBA and NHL, you have 16 of 30 teams making the playoffs, so there is no difference in that sense. It's just that in the NHL playoffs, it's a lot more wide open and everybody has a chance to make noise, whereas in the NBA only a few select teams have a shot. That's not really my issue with the NBA though. My issue is the product stinks, and in addition to the product stinking, the product often looks borderline fixed due to awful officiating.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (bmags @ May 5, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
I wonder if we would've heard this awful officiating card on this site in the 90s.

I was a kid (mostly a little kid) during that timeframe, so I wasn't at the point where I noticed awful officiating. Obviously awful officiating won't bother you nearly as much when your team wins, but it still dilutes the product a great deal. As long as David Stern is commisioner of the league, the shady officiating will exist and hurt the league though unfortunately. At least in the 80's and 90's the actual product on the floor was better though. Better athletes now (by far), but better players then.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 5, 2010 -> 01:11 PM)
Sounds like Brouwer is out for game 3, Buff is on the line with 88 & 19, probably means that Hendry takes the 6th D spot

As Coach Steve Harnden I will bow and take credit for this decision based on my request prior to game 2.