Arizona requires you to carry your papers

Balta1701

The student shyly raised her hand and said, "My mom ... she says that Barack Obama is taking everybody away that doesn't have papers."

Mrs. Obama replied:"Yeah, well that's something that we have to work on, right? To make sure that people can be here with the right kind of papers, right? That's exactly right."

The girl then said quietly, "But my mom doesn't have any ..." and trailed off.

Mrs. Obama replied: "Well, we have to work on that. We have to fix that, and everybody's got to work together in Congress to make sure that happens. That's right."

The exchange came during a visit with Mexico’s First Lady Margarita Zavala to the New Hampshire Estates Elementary School in Silver Spring, Md.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 19, 2010 -> 08:57 PM)
No faith in people, all faith in the all-mighty government.

Ohhh, so people that work for the government aren't the "government". I get it. The government is some mysterious inanimate object like the smoke monster, out to choke tackle you to death.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)
Turns out the L.A. DWP actually owns those plants. For Arizona to do anything, they'd have to seize those plants by force.

Owns PART of the plants. if it is a minority part, they can be outvoted by the majority when it comes to where to sell electricity to. I like how at the end of that they tried to place nice and still welcome the Arizona tourist dollars.

http://mcclintock.house.gov/2010/05/respon...-calderon.shtml

Response to President Calderon

May 20, 2010 6:26 PM

House Chamber, Washington, D.C. May 20, 2010. M. Speaker:

I rise to take strong exception to the speech of the President of Mexico while in this chamber today.

The Mexican government has made it very clear for many years that it holds American sovereignty in contempt and President Calderon’s behavior as a guest of the Congress confirms and underscores this attitude.

It is highly inappropriate for the President of Mexico to lecture Americans on American immigration policy, just as it would be for Americans to lecture Mexico on its laws.

It is obvious that President Calderon does not understand the nature of America or the purpose of our immigration law.

Unlike Mexico’s immigration law -- which is brutally exclusionary -- the purpose of America’s law is not to keep people out. It is to assure that as people come to the United States, they do so with the intention of becoming Americans and of raising their children as Americans.

Unlike Mexico, our nation embraces immigration and what makes that possible is assimilation.

A century ago President Teddy Roosevelt put it this way. He said:

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language ... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

That is how we have built one great nation from the people of all the nations of the world.

The largest group of immigrants now comes from Mexico. A recent RAND study discovered that during most of the 20th Century, while our immigration laws were actually enforced, assimilation worked and made possible the swift attainment of the American dream for millions of immigrants seeking to escape conditions in Mexico.

That is the broader meaning of our nation’s motto, “E Pluribus Unum” – from many people, one people, the American people.

But there is now an element in our political structure that seeks to undermine that concept of “E Pluribus Unum.” It seeks to hyphenate Americans, to develop linguistic divisions, to assign rights and preferences based on race and ethnicity, and to elevate devotion to foreign ideologies and traditions, while at the same time denigrating American culture, American values and American founding principles.

In order to do so, they know that they have to stop the process of assimilation. In order to do that, they must undermine our immigration laws.

It is an outrage that a foreign head of state would appear in this chamber and actively seek to do so. And it is a disgrace that he would be cheered on from the left wing of the White House and by many Democrats in this Congress.

Arizona has not adopted a new immigration law. All it has done is to enforce existing law that President Obama refuses to enforce. It is hardly a radical policy to suggest that if an officer on a routine traffic stop encounters a driver with no driver’s license, no passport, and who doesn’t speak English, that maybe that individual might be here illegally.

And to those who say we must reform our immigration laws – I reply that we don’t need to reform them – we need to enforce them. Just as every other government does. Just as Mexico does.

Above all, this is a debate of, by and for the American people. If President Calderon wishes to participate in that debate, I invite him to obey our immigration laws, apply for citizenship, do what 600,000 LEGAL immigrants to our nation are doing right now, learn our history and our customs, and become an American. And then he will have every right to participate in that debate.

Until then, I would politely invite him to have the courtesy while a guest of this Congress to abide by the fundamental rules of diplomacy between civilized nations not to meddle in each other’s domestic debate

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 21, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)

Except we do this:

It is highly inappropriate for the President of Mexico to lecture Americans on American immigration policy, just as it would be for Americans to lecture Mexico on its laws.

All the time, to lots of countries.

I get it, Calderon's stance on this is hypocritical and misses the fact that the mess is mostly the doing of his country. I agree with that. But I also have no problem with him criticizing AZ's law for what it is - awful policy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 21, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)
Except we do this:

All the time, to lots of countries.

I get it, Calderon's stance on this is hypocritical and misses the fact that the mess is mostly the doing of his country. I agree with that. But I also have no problem with him criticizing AZ's law for what it is - awful policy.

You have to HEAR him being hypocritical to truely appreciate it. I know, it is clips from Rush, but seriously, kisten to just the clips he plays from Calderon and Wolf Blitzer. Too funny.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
Nice of him to ignore the immigration reform Mexico did last year. Mexico now has essentially no penalties for illegal immigration.

link?

also this is from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Mexico

Only Mexicans by birth or naturalization and Mexican companies have the right to acquire ownership of lands, waters, and their appurtenances.

THOSE XENOPHOBES!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
Nice of him to ignore the immigration reform Mexico did last year. Mexico now has essentially no penalties for illegal immigration.

Did you even bother to click the link I posted, with Calderon talking to Wolf Blitzer? Not sure where you got your info, but the link has words coming right out of the Mexican President's own mouth.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 22, 2010 -> 07:21 PM)
Did you even bother to click the link I posted, with Calderon talking to Wolf Blitzer? Not sure where you got your info, but the link has words coming right out of the Mexican President's own mouth.

In 2008 the Mexican government voted unanimously to decriminalize illegal immigration.

Amnesty International, of course, has issued reports about how the police in Mexico regularly harass immigrants in that country despite the law. Of course, we already decided that Amnesty doesn't do anything in Mexico, so that link doesn't really exist.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)
In 2008 the Mexican government voted unanimously to decriminalize illegal immigration.

Amnesty International, of course, has issued reports about how the police in Mexico regularly harass immigrants in that country despite the law. Of course, we already decided that Amnesty doesn't do anything in Mexico, so that link doesn't really exist.

They issue press releases. They are good at doing that.

New report clarifies reality vs. perception in immigration debate

I copied the list portion of the article. Full article at link. http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/arizona/a...1cc4c002e0.html

PERCEPTION VS. REALITY

The Morrison Institute for Public Policy at Arizona State University released a paper on the perceptions and realities of immigration. The report notes 9 common assertions - and whether they are solid, not provable or false.

1) Virtually all Arizonans consider undocumented immigration a threat.

• REALITY: 70 percent of Arizonans supported a law to authorize police to stop and verify the immigration status of anybody suspected of being an illegal immigrant, according to an April Rasmussen poll. At the same time, 57 percent favored a policy welcoming all immigrants except criminals, those who threaten national security or those here for welfare benefits.

2) Most violent crime is committed by undocumented immigrants.

• REALITY: That sentiment doesn't separate types of crime, such as drug cartel violence in Mexico, crime by drug smugglers against their rivals and general crime. Arizona's crime levels have declined or been level for years. From 1999 to 2006, states with high numbers of immigrants like Arizona saw crime drop more than the national average.

3) Undocumented immigrants are entering Arizona in record numbers.

• REALITY: The flow peaked about a decade ago. It has slowed or even stopped since the economic decline. The Department of Homeland Security estimated 460,000 undocumented immigrants in Arizona in 2009.

4) Undocumented immigrants are a drain on the economy.

• REALITY: They contribute sales tax dollars and billions of dollars annually in federal payroll taxes by workers who are ineligible to collect the benefits. They provide cheap labor that reduces costs. However, they hold mostly low-wage jobs, rely heavily on public services and send money to their home nation. It's probably impossible to calculate the net economic effect in a way both sides would find conclusive.

5) Arizona's prisons are bursting with undocumented immigrants.

• REALITY: The Department of Corrections reports 15 percent of inmates are "criminal aliens." About 19 percent of inmates are undocumented in the Maricopa County Jail system.

6) Stiffer laws and tougher border enforcement will rid Arizona of undocumented immigrants.

• REALITY: This has begun, with illegal crossers falling from 600,000 in 2000 to 241,000 in 2009. It's doubtful most undocumented families would leave because they've been welcomed over the past decade for their labor and have established their lives here with children who were born as U.S. citizens.

7) Undocumented immigrants flood the public health system.

• REALITY: Undocumented immigrants have been ineligible for the AHCCCS health care plan for the poor since 2004. But by law, hospitals must treat everybody in an emergency room, which is partially reimbursed by the federal government. Arizona hospitals report losing $24 million a year for treating undocumented patients. That sum is 6 percent of the $392 lost a year for treatment of all under insured or uninsured patients. Some studies show undocumented immigrants use emergency rooms less than native-born people.

8) Undocumented immigrants take jobs from native-born Americans and depress wages.

• REALITY: Undocumented immigrants are overrepresented in the low-skilled workforce because the native population is aging. The upcoming wave of Baby Boomer retirements will likely make immigrants the only source of growth among workers 25 to 55 for decades to come. However, low-wage natives are hurt because immigrants push down wages and create competition for those jobs. Low-wage immigrants also pay low tax rates.

9) The influx of children of undocumented immigrants is overwhelming public schools.

• REALITY: That number is not counted in Arizona. Sen. Russell Pearce, R-Mesa, pushed a bill to count them but the measure got stalled. Federal law prevents schools from denying education to illegal immigrants. Several foundations calculate 11.9 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S., with 1.5 million undocumented children. About 3.5 million children of illegal immigrants are citizens or here legally. Of Arizona's 1 million school children, 150,000 are in English Language Learner programs.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ May 25, 2010 -> 01:22 PM)
3) Undocumented immigrants are entering Arizona in record numbers.

• REALITY: The flow peaked about a decade ago. It has slowed or even stopped since the economic decline. The Department of Homeland Security estimated 460,000 undocumented immigrants in Arizona in 2009.

6) Stiffer laws and tougher border enforcement will rid Arizona of undocumented immigrants.

• REALITY: This has begun, with illegal crossers falling from 600,000 in 2000 to 241,000 in 2009. It's doubtful most undocumented families would leave because they've been welcomed over the past decade for their labor and have established their lives here with children who were born as U.S. citizens.

:huh:

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 25, 2010 -> 01:39 PM)
:huh:

I read that as there were 460,000 living in Arizona in 2009 and another 241,000 crossed the border there, but many kept walking north looking for jobs, etc. Many have regular seasonal employment up north.