May Catch All White Sox Thread

BigSqwert

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 20, 2010 -> 11:28 PM)
Yeah, but wasn't Pierre ready to scoot home? If it kicks off the wall, it's happy days are here again, baby. Instead, it's eight below .500 and another crappy lost series.

For one day...just like every win, it would have been followed up with a loss. You were right about the lack of emotion after losses any more. I just want some changes to be made so that the team will be more exciting to watch if some of the kids are playing.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How well did teams do on their first round picks in the 1990's?

Going heavy on pitchers backfired big time on a couple of teams:

o The White Sox drafted pitchers with seven of their eleven picks and had an average WAR of 2.3.

o The Royals used eight of their 12 selections on pitchers and achieved an average WAR of 0.5.

o The Tigers drafted six pitchers with their nine picks and had an average return of 2.2 WAR.

This marked the first time in 11 games the Sox never had a lead, although they placed at least one runner on base in every inning but the third and ninth.

Pretty sad that despite the above, we continue and continue to lose. This team is just the exact opposite as the 2005 Sox as they can't capitalize on any of there opportunities.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
Pretty sad that despite the above, we continue and continue to lose. This team is just the exact opposite as the 2005 Sox as they can't capitalize on any of there opportunities.

Having base-runners like lastnight has not been the norm this season. The 1-2-3 innings this year have been plentiful. We had five 1-2-3 innings on Wednesday...thats more of what this team has been about this season.

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ May 21, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
Having base-runners like lastnight has not been the norm this season. The 1-2-3 innings this year have been plentiful. We had five 1-2-3 innings on Wednesday...thats more of what this team has been about this season.

What kills me the most is that the Sox are working their way out of nearly every at-bat. They swing at nearly every first pitch, and refuse to work counts. It's a self-defeating approach to a ball game.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 21, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)
At least they made a run at it Thursday even though we lose another 1 run game

I turned that game off after the 7th and went to bed. When I found out about the ground rule double, the baseball gods interjected and would not allow this bad team to win.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 20, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
IT'S NOT BAD LUCK! It was a fly ball that took one bounce before it reached the wall. At our park, that's going to hop over the fence 75% of the time. Hawk's acting like there's never any ground rule doubles at our park.

A foot forward and the bounce takes it off of the wall, or back and that ball shorthops the fence... either way it stays in play. It also seems like we had a play like this recently where the umpire allowed a runner for the other team to score on a ground rule double in a similar situation (fast runner off of 1B who would have scored on a ball in play. If that isn't the very definition of luck, I don't know what is.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 21, 2010 -> 07:03 PM)
A foot forward and the bounce takes it off of the wall, or back and that ball shorthops the fence... either way it stays in play. It also seems like we had a play like this recently where the umpire allowed a runner for the other team to score on a ground rule double in a similar situation (fast runner off of 1B who would have scored on a ball in play. If that isn't the very definition of luck, I don't know what is.

It was a ground rule double cause one of our fans touched the ball, which then becomes a judgment call for the umpires. Juan Pierre could have been standing on home plate when the ball bounced over the fence, and it wouldn't have mattered.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
It was a ground rule double cause one of our fans touched the ball, which then becomes a judgment call for the umpires. Juan Pierre could have been standing on home plate when the ball bounced over the fence, and it wouldn't have mattered.

By ground rule double...we also mean "Ground rules". Which mean...each park gets to set the rules, right? Can a park say its up to the umpires discretion about giving the guy home, or is it required that it's only 2 bases?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2010 -> 08:10 PM)
By ground rule double...we also mean "Ground rules". Which mean...each park gets to set the rules, right?

No idea what this means. Anyways, we actually did luck out on a similar deep fly ball in the Twins game we won in Minnesota, as Alexei hit a deep blast to left center that bounced off top of wall and allowed Teahen to score with 2 outs. Those type of plays even out over the course of the season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2010 -> 08:10 PM)
By ground rule double...we also mean "Ground rules". Which mean...each park gets to set the rules, right? Can a park say its up to the umpires discretion about giving the guy home, or is it required that it's only 2 bases?

It's always umpire's discretion on interference.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)

The ump has discretion over whether to award home plate in either case, which makes it a luck call either way.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)
The ump has discretion over whether to award home plate in either case.

Everyone is awarded 2 bases if it bounces over the fence. I've never seen it called otherwise. When it's fan inteference, that's a whole different story.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ May 24, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)
Everyone is awarded 2 bases if it bounces over the fence. I've never seen it called otherwise. When it's fan inteference, that's a whole different story.

I swear an ump allowed a runner to score from first on a ground rule double against the Sox earlier this year, but I cannot remember who they were playing.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 24, 2010 -> 06:27 PM)
I swear an ump allowed a runner to score from first on a ground rule double against the Sox earlier this year, but I cannot remember who they were playing.

It wasn't a ground rule double, it was a fan interference play

QUOTE (fathom @ May 24, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)

Where is the rule that it is always two bases, and why would that be different than when it is fan interference?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2010 -> 05:34 PM)
Where is the rule that it is always two bases, and why would that be different than when it is fan interference?

MLB official rules: 6.09(e) - (g)

(e) A fair ball, after touching the ground, bounds into the stands, or passes through, over or under a fence, or through or under a scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery, or vines on the fence, in which case the batter and the runners shall be entitled to advance two bases;

(f) Any fair ball which, either before or after touching the ground, passes through or under a fence, or through or under a scoreboard, or through any opening in the fence or scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery, or vines on the fence, or which sticks in a fence or scoreboard, in which case the batter and the runners shall be entitled to two bases;

(g) Any bounding fair ball is deflected by the fielder into the stands, or over or under a fence on fair or foul territory, in which case the batter and all runners shall be entitled to advance two bases;