White Sox vs Royals 5-15-10 @ 6:10 pm

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 15, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
I belive it's my first gamethread of the season. Let it be the first of 10 in a row. Jake will drink to that!

jake-peavy-jager.jpg

:headbang :gosoxretro:

had some of that yesterday with monster, awesome :headbang lol :gosoxretro:

The last 5 times the Sox started the season 14-21 per Gonzalez:

1983 99-63 First place, AL West

1987 77-85 Fifth place, AL West

1995 68-76 Fifth place, AL Central

1997 80-81 Second place, AL Central

2001 83-79 Third place, AL Central

Ozzie would be a terrible scout master. Everyone gets a merit badge, regardless of merit.

Who do you want to bat second? And how that would it matter ultimately when out of these nine players six are currently sucking?

You tell me how to best optimize this lineup tonight? Why not Beckham second in the order?

Of these players in the lineup, Pierre (even though he's had some hits in May), Kotsay, Ramirez, teahen, Castro and Beckham all currently suck. Good luck with a lineup. Somebody has to bat second.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 15, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
Who do you want to bat second? And how that would it matter ultimately when out of these nine players six are currently sucking?

You tell me how to best optimize this lineup tonight? Why not Beckham second in the order?

Of these players in the lineup, Pierre (even though he's had some hits in May), Kotsay, Ramirez, teahen, Castro and Beckham all currently suck. Good luck with a lineup. Somebody has to bat second.

Beckham isn't hitting at all. Are you really going to tell me that giving him the second most at-bats out of anyone on this ballclub is optimizing the teams chances to win? It's not. We have a bad sitiuation, and Ozzie is making the worst of it.

I'm saying six of the nine hitters suck.

OK let's play. Who do you want second? My guess is you still want Pierre first even though he sucks (he's had some hits in May), so let's play. With these nine guys lets bat our best players first

Pierre, Rios, Jones, Konerko, Ramirez, Kotsay, Teahen, Beckham, Castro. Is that any better? No it also sucks.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 15, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
Beckham isn't hitting at all. Are you really going to tell me that giving him the second most at-bats out of anyone on this ballclub is optimizing the teams chances to win? It's not. We have a bad sitiuation, and Ozzie is making the worst of it.

Beckham has gotten a couple hits the last few days. Hopefully it's a good sign.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 15, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)

In all fairness, Beckham did have 2 hits yesterday. Ozzie may feel the drop in order helped restore some confidence. This lineup is still horses***. I want Flowers up. Let him split time between DH/C. We need a shot in the arm.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ May 15, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
In all fairness, Beckham did have 2 hits yesterday. Ozzie may feel the drop in order helped restore some confidence. This lineup is still horses***. I want Flowers up. Let him split time between DH/C. We need a shot in the arm.

I think they took his infield hit away and made it an E-4...so only one hit for Becks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 15, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
The last 5 times the Sox started the season 14-21 per Gonzalez:

1983 99-63 First place, AL West

1987 77-85 Fifth place, AL West

1995 68-76 Fifth place, AL Central

1997 80-81 Second place, AL Central

2001 83-79 Third place, AL Central

I think that 2001 team actually would go into an 8 game losing streak from that point, pretty sure they reached bottom at 14-29 or something very close to that, then made it all the back to 6 or 8 games over .500.

The 1997 and 2001 teams are good examples of teams with very high expectations entering the season (Belle signed as FA, David Wells and coming off the playoff appearance in 2000) that are quite comparable to our current situation.

Although I can honestly say I don't EXPECT that this team will get to 6-7-8 games over .500. MAYBE....

Edited by caulfield12

He's hitting .347 in May and .438 in his last week.

I know he's had a good May. I pointed that out while still saying he and his pitty pat bat sucks. He's on pace for about 15 RBIs this year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 15, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
I know he's had a good May. I pointed that out while still saying he and his pitty pat bat sucks. He's on pace for about 15 RBIs this year.

If one of our biggest concerns, is driving in runs from the leadoff spot, we have FAR bigger issues. I don't care if Pierre drives in 10 runs all year, as long as he is hitting and getting on base. Let those whose job it is to drive runs in, do their job.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ May 15, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
If one of our biggest concerns, is driving in runs from the leadoff spot, we have FAR bigger issues. I don't care if Pierre drives in 10 runs all year, as long as he is hitting and getting on base. Let those whose job it is to drive runs in, do their job.

Juan Pierre has the second most ABs with RISP on the club, it's pretty ridiculous to be ok with him not driving any of those runs in just because he happens to hit atop the lineup. As a high average hitter he needs to be picking up hits in those situations same as anyone else in the lineup, it's simply unacceptable that he's 4 for 29 in RBI opportunities, that's WAY too many wasted opportunities. Given that he gets the most PA on the team he's going to get plenty of late inning RBI opportunities and he doesn't deserve a free pass in those situations just because he's a punch and judy hitter or a "table setter".

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 15, 2010 -> 02:50 PM)
Juan Pierre has the second most ABs with RISP on the club, it's pretty ridiculous to be ok with him not driving any of those runs in just because he happens to hit atop the lineup, as a high average hitter he needs to be picking up hits in those situations same as anyone else in the lineup, it's simply unacceptable that he's 4 for 29 in RBI opportunities, that's WAY too many wasted opportunities. Given that he gets the most PA on the team he's going to get plenty of late inning RBI opportunities and he doesn't deserve a free pass in those situations just because he's a punch and judy hitter or a "table setter".

Exactly. You can tell that to thw Twins how valuable Denard Span is not only hitting lead-off, but hitting with RISP.

RISP.jpg

Seems to me we have a few people who fall into the "I'm a s***ty hitter with RISP this year." category.

No one is saying Pierre should have a "free pass" in those situations whatsoever. What I AM saying, is that I can live with him not being a top RBI guy at the top if he is getting on base, and those behind him are doing their jobs, a la driving runs in.

Right now he sucks almost more than anyone with RISP (Hi, Gordon!). That obviously has to improve. But not his major need in this lineup.