NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 05:51 AM)
Unless they have changed the rules, yes. All NBA players who have been released when owed guaranteed money and sign with new teams for years have been basically given a raise. Its not like MLB where the team that releases them gets the minimum relief if they go sign for the minimum someplace else. Its also why more guys in the NBA are up for buyouts. They take less money, but will make up at least some of that with their next team.

Here's some info on it:

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=7289447

- 2011 CBA: One player can be waived prior to the start of any season (only one player can be amnestied during the agreement, and contracts signed under the new CBA are not eligible). The salary of the waived player will not count toward the salary cap or luxury tax. Teams with cap room can submit competing offers to acquire an amnestied player (at a reduced rate) before he hits free agency and can sign with any team.

- Who benefits? As with the amnesty provision in the 2005 agreement, this provision allows teams to kick one bad contract to the curb. The benefits to amnesty are greater now than they were in 2005 -- 100 percent of the player's salary is removed for both cap and tax purposes. The other big change is that teams are allowed to pocket their amnesty card to use later -- so teams that managed their cap well to this point benefit because they don't have to use it or lose it.

Teams with cap room can benefit greatly from the amnesty provision by being able to submit a competing offer to claim an amnestied player at a reduced rate. For example, if Cleveland uses its amnesty provision on Baron Davis, a team that is $5 million below the salary cap can submit a $5 million offer to acquire Davis' contract. If that offer is the highest, the team acquires Davis and is responsible for $5 million of his salary -- with Cleveland responsible for the balance. This happens before Davis becomes a free agent and can sign on his own with a team like Miami.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 10:46 PM)
Didn't Roy have one great game during the playoffs?

Yes, he had a stretch or two where he hit like every jumper. He also had an entire season where he needed 11 shots to score 12 points per game.

I'm not even saying I'm anti-Roy, I'm just saying make sure you're not signing him based on what he used to be only to regret it later.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

So a couple of little pieces I found from various sources from Yahoo/ESPN/Hoopsworld etc.

1 - NJ have apparently offered Brook Lopez + 2 1st rounders for Dwight Howard and Hedo Turkoglu. If Orlando then amnesty waived Gilbert, they'd have more than $30M to spend in cap room. But there's no way Otis Smith trades Howard this off-season.

2 - Boston is looking into CP3, and trying to get a 3 team deal going with Indiana (with Rondo going to NO or IND).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 01:20 AM)
So a couple of little pieces I found from various sources from Yahoo/ESPN/Hoopsworld etc.

1 - NJ have apparently offered Brook Lopez + 2 1st rounders for Dwight Howard and Hedo Turkoglu. If Orlando then amnesty waived Gilbert, they'd have more than $30M to spend in cap room. But there's no way Otis Smith trades Howard this off-season.

I just don't see how a rational human-being could pass up that offer. Orlando would eventually rid themselves of two awful contracts and have a great building piece in Brook.

Granted, the two first round picks will likely be in the 20's, but you can still get good players in the draft and sign good players to grow with Brook. I don't see how the Lakers or Knicks could offer a better package.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 10:45 AM)
I just don't see how a rational human-being could pass up that offer. Orlando would eventually rid themselves of two awful contracts and have a great building piece in Brook.

This is a team that willingly traded for Gilbert Arenas.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
Each team can use it one time during the CBA.

It can be used before every season during the span of the CBA, according to the information the SI has.

• Each team permitted to waive 1 player prior to any season of the CBA (only for contracts in place at the inception of the CBA) and have 100% of the player’s salary removed from team salary for Cap and Tax purposes.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
I think you are misinterpreting "every" for "any".

After looking into it further, I think I was mistaken. You appear to be correct, which makes more sense to me.

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/11/28...ises-questions/

We’ve all been obsessing for months over the new amnesty rule, which will allow each team to cut one player currently under contract and have that player’s salary (which the team must still pay) vanish from its salary-cap number. Teams will be able to use amnesty once over the course of the new collective bargaining agreement.
Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
http://basketball.about.com/od/nba-vs-nbap...t-Contracts.htm

It's a one-time option, but can be used any year in the CBA.

hmm, my friend was telling me that this also is limited to contracts signed before the current CBA as well. So the Bulls theoretically couldnt sign JRich to a 4 year contract and amnesty/waive the contract the following season.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
hmm, my friend was telling me that this also is limited to contracts signed before the current CBA as well. So the Bulls theoretically couldnt sign JRich to a 4 year contract and amnesty/waive the contract the following season.

Yes, that should be correct as well. You can't sign someone long-term now and then cancel the contract before the CBA ends. This was done as a gift to the owners to rid themselves of existing horrendous contracts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)
"@KBergCBS: Six teams have expressed early interest in UFA Caron Butler: Nets, Clippers, Bulls, Heat, Spurs and Knicks

I wonder how healthy Butler is... at his very brief peak with the Wizards he was a pimp.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
Steve done made a mess of another thread. someone get a mop

rumors i have read today

Bulls interested in Battier, Butler, TJ Ford

Also rumor that Bulls are trying to get Granger for Asik and pieces

That would be amazingly awesome, but sounds ridiculously unlikely.