NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 01:49 AM)
He hit like 48% of his 3's last year. But if you're going to talk about people who do nothing but jack up shots........

You have to admit that the Bulls are severely lacking in quality long range shooters. Morrow might be affordable. Who knows?

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 01:50 AM)
How will bringing over Asik work? I know we own his rights, but how exactly would his contract be set up?

Same as any other contract, just need to come to an agreement. He's essentially a free agent but the Bulls are the only team that can sign him. They have exclusive rights to him. He's already been working out with the team some at the Berto Center.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 01:52 AM)
You have to admit that the Bulls are severely lacking in quality long range shooters. Morrow might be affordable. Who knows?

Ok, but if you sign him and give him significant minutes, don't complain about the lack of defense. Everyone wants to point out flaws on all the available names, but everyone seems to gush about Morrow as if he is a complete player.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 01:49 AM)
He hit like 48% of his 3's last year. But if you're going to talk about people who do nothing but jack up shots........

Well Don Nelson's system isn't actually disciplined in that department. You, fathom and I have mentioned Morrow before. Problem with him is he is just a good 3 point shooter. He's average athletically, and when he gets to the rim he has Luol Deng issues on finishing strong. (cept that one time he actually dunked the ball like a man) Your right on the tendency to chuckle shots though, so hopefully Thibs can get through to him. Bulls probably have to overpay to get him as well though (Warriors likely to match even with all of their guards and they traded away the kid with good potential to the Knicks) Same with Redick. One of them though I would love to see the Bulls get to snipe off the bench. (or Korver) I would LOVE Morrow as a best case.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 01:48 AM)
Bulls definitely have some room to be a contender still, they should be sending out feelers on how Carmelo's future looks because if he comes than our team is every bit as talented as the Heat. Id definitely be down for JRich too as Phoenix cant have much hope and a cheap owner that would prob be willing to unload contracts.

Phoenix tried to trade him last year due to the money he makes.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 01:53 AM)
Phoenix tried to trade him last year due to the money he makes.

It's a lot different during a season than in the off season where a lot of teams have a lot of money. With the cap set at 58.04, the Bulls have somewhere between 18 and 19 million to play with.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 01:55 AM)
It's a lot different during a season than in the off season where a lot of teams have a lot of money. With the cap set at 58.04, the Bulls have somewhere between 18 and 19 million to play with.

I thought the Suns were cutting back big time though. Isn't that the reason that Steve Kerr left as GM? I read that they wanted to extend him - but at a significantly discounted salary. He said, "No, thanks." and went back to broadcasting.

Edited by IamtheHBOMB

Here's what I'd like to see:

Trade whatever for Richardson, if you can get him for a trade exception or something, wonderful. Sign Brewer to be your backup shooting guard. Sign Livingston or Ridnour to be your backup PG and fill out the last 3-5 spots with minimum guys from the summer league team.

Rose

Richardson

Deng

Boozer

Noah

Brewer

Gibson

Ridnour/Livingston

Asik

Johnson

MIN

MIN

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 01:58 AM)
I thought the Suns were cutting back big time though. Isn't that the reason that Steve Kerr left as GM? I read that they wanted to extend him - but at a significantly discounted salary. He said, "No, thanks." and went back to broadcasting.

If they were cutting back, that's even better for the Bulls if they wanted to acquire him. I'm saying that during the regular season, no one was looking to add contracts that were going past the 09-10 season. Now that the top free agents have signed, the teams who missed out have money to acquire those guys who were previously unwanted.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 02:05 AM)
Actually now that I think about it, Morrow might not be matched, though this is GS. Totally forgot they traded and signed David Lee for 80 million.

They'll match anything reasonable, especially since Azubuike is going to NY too.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 02:02 AM)
Here's what I'd like to see:

Trade whatever for Richardson, if you can get him for a trade exception or something, wonderful. Sign Brewer to be your backup shooting guard. Sign Livingston or Ridnour to be your backup PG and fill out the last 3-5 spots with minimum guys from the summer league team.

Rose

Richardson

Deng

Boozer

Noah

Brewer

Gibson

Ridnour/Livingston

Asik

Johnson

MIN

MIN

Id rather sign Morrow than Brewer, but other than that I dig it. I wish somehow we could find a way to trade for Carmelo, convince Nuggets Deng and Johnson or whatever is better than nothing.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 02:06 AM)
Id rather sign Morrow than Brewer, but other than that I dig it. I wish somehow we could find a way to trade for Carmelo, convince Nuggets Deng and Johnson or whatever is better than nothing.

I don't think there's any way you can add Richardson, Morrow, Asik, and one of Livingston/Ridnour with the amount of money we have.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 02:09 AM)
I don't think there's any way you can add Richardson, Morrow, Asik, and one of Livingston/Ridnour with the amount of money we have.

Well Richardson is first, I dont really dig Brewer unless he comes on the super cheap as Id assume would be same for Livingston. Otherwise just bring back Acie Law and Flip Murray.

I feel like this has probably been posted somewhere, but I haven't seen it. If it has, my bad.

Open Letter to Fans from Cavaliers Majority Owner Dan Gilbert

Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.

Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....

Dan Gilbert

Majority Owner

Cleveland Cavaliers

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/gilbert_letter_100708.html

Not sure how everyone else feels, but I think this is hilariously embarassing for Gilbert, the Cavs, and their fans.

And I say that as a fan of no involved teams (kind of...I'm a Raptors fan).

Also...I wonder what number Lebron will have? The Heat retired 23 in honour of Jordan.

• Thanks 1

Beasley to the TWolves for a 2nd rder and undisclosed details on future pick swapping.

I have no idea where he fits in with the TWolves, but considering the price I think this is a great deal. Beasley just 21 years old.

As I said earlier, I wish the Bulls would have swooped in on him but they probably had issues w/the character red flags and/or the heat probably didn't want to help a rival out.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 03:04 AM)
Can the Bulls get Al Jefferson from T-Wolves?

Probably for pretty cheap, one would think. Considering the Wolves have little leverage, what with their apparent glut of PF types.

But....

"Where would he play?"

:D

(Note: Jefferson would be a nice get, fully support it - just perfect spot to use the ol' standby Hawkism)

Edit: Gah, Jefferson is only 25? Go get 'em.

Edited by Fotop

Chances Bosh finishes out his contract with Miami? If this 3-some doesn't work after a few years, you know he will be the odd man out to dump salary and spend on other pieces no matter how good he is playing.

I'm glad I didn't waste my time on that stupid show last night. LeBron James made a mistake in my opinion. Jordan would have never done that. Hell, Kobe would have never done that. He wants to be compared to those two? He doesnt do that. It was a cop out to join the Heat.

Admittedly, I gave up on basketball when the Sonics were stolen from Seattle so I havent followed much at all in the last two years, but of all his choices, he could have brought a championship to cleveland (his home town), played with Rose in one of the biggest markets and basketball cities in Chicago, or saved basketball in the "mecca". If he wanted to be truly legendary, which I think he does based on his super-inflated ego, he doesn't choose Miami. He took the easy way out.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix