NBA Offseason Thread

I just think Chicago is last on his list. There's no reason to play for the Bulls. Michael Jordan is the best Bull ever. Case closed.

He doesn't need to be totally hated by the people of Cleveland forever in becoming a Bull.

They'd understand Miami better in that he'd be winning it all with Wade and Bosh unless they get hurt.

He's going to make just as much or more money in Cleveland. He's not leaving Cleveland.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 06:17 PM)
I wouldn't say that...

Deron's here.

Rose is here.

How so? Give me something to actually point out why everyone thinks they are so far apart. Frankly, I am surprised of the lack of appreciation for Rose on a chicago board. In the two years he's been in the league, he's been the best player on his team and basically the best player on the court in the playoff games he's played in.

D Rose is 1st in scoring, Williams is 5th

D Rose is 5th in FG%, Williams is 12th

D Rose is 9th in assists, Williams is 3rd

They are nearly even in Rebounds

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:28 PM)
I don't understand what you mean.

Jordan made the bulls a global brand. News of a new amazing bull on the only team a lot of countries followed means sudden interest and markets in china/europe/south america, etc. that he would not see in cleveland.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
How so? Give me something to actually point out why everyone thinks they are so far apart. Frankly, I am surprised of the lack of appreciation for Rose on a chicago board. In the two years he's been in the league, he's been the best player on his team and basically the best player on the court in the playoff games he's played in.

also, boozer didn't suddenly start scoring when deron came. He certainly got better, but not by a huge clip. Nothing that says he can't be a 20/10 guy with a still good-great PG in Rose.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
New NBA salary cap just announced, $58.04 million. Small increase from last season, but way above projections from a year ago.

Now we have even more cash to work with!

They were projecting in the 56M range, correct?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 07:33 PM)
Jordan made the bulls a global brand. News of a new amazing bull on the only team a lot of countries followed means sudden interest and markets in china/europe/south america, etc. that he would not see in cleveland.

That's more for the player marketing the team than vice versa. Jordan made Jordan a global brand as much as he made the Bulls a global brand.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 06:44 PM)
Hey, so, i'm just throwing this out there since we have a day. How do you guys feel about this max contract + salary cap NBA deal. Seems stupid to me, just put a salary cap and that's that.

It seems to have created a whole lot of convoluted bulls*** but I don't know what good it's done.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)
That's more for the player marketing the team than vice versa. Jordan made Jordan a global brand as much as he made the Bulls a global brand.

What? Yeah, that's the point. The bulls are a global brand because of jordan and it benefits the players on the bulls. Lebron would have an uphill battle to make the cavs and that matters. The celts/bulls/lakers - people know these teams and players abroad. Basketball is by far the most popular american sport globally. When i've traveled people knew who derrick rose was. They didn't know who chris paul was. I wonder why?

Think of it this way. Manchester United is by far the best known soccer team in the U.S. That's probably the one a lot of people could name if even just casual followers. Take a really good player like Cristiano Renaldo *also since he's kinda flamboyant and I bet anything he's a hell of a lot more popular than on Real Madrid.

This stuff matters. And there's a lot of money in doing s*** like razor commercials in europe.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 07:53 PM)
What? Yeah, that's the point. The bulls are a global brand because of jordan and it benefits the players on the bulls. Lebron would have an uphill battle to make the cavs and that matters. The celts/bulls/lakers - people know these teams and players abroad. Basketball is by far the most popular american sport globally. When i've traveled people knew who derrick rose was. They didn't know who chris paul was. I wonder why?

Think of it this way. Manchester United is by far the best known soccer team in the U.S. That's probably the one a lot of people could name if even just casual followers. Take a really good player like Cristiano Renaldo *also since he's kinda flamboyant and I bet anything he's a hell of a lot more popular than on Real Madrid.

This stuff matters. And there's a lot of money in doing s*** like razor commercials in europe.

Well I thought we were talking about how bigger markets can make LeBron more money, not the other players. Hence my confusion I guess.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 06:55 PM)
Well I thought we were talking about how bigger markets can make LeBron more money, not the other players. Hence my confusion I guess.

It will make Lebron more money. Chicago Bulls are an international brand (thanks to MJ). A new Bulls superstar gets to ride on that brand instead of creating one from scratch in Cleveland or Miami.

How much attention (read: endorsement $$$$$$) do you think Jeter would get if he played on a small-market team instead of the Yankees? Hell, even if he's on the Red Sox, he probably gets millions less in endorsements.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 12:55 AM)

Well oddly enough the biggest US markets have also been the most damn successful in NBA basketball.

Strange Sox ... why would he have a better chance to win it with the Bulls than Cleveland? Rose?

You overestimate Rose.

He's not going to s*** on his hometown and come to Chicago.

It'd be less of a blow to pick NY or Miami but he's not going to do that either. He's still young. He has to win a title for Cleveland which hasn't won s*** in forever. He'll be remembered there forever as THE No. 1 hero of Cleveland.

He certainly isn't going to go to CHicago where the Bulls won a ton of titles with Jordan.

No way in hell he comes to Chicago. People act like Cleveland had a s***ty record.

Uh Cleveland had a great record before choking.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)

It's more than assists and points.

Most NBA people will tell you that Williams is a tier 1 PG with Chris Paul. And they're pretty much right.

Derrick Rose is in that second tier right now, albeit a high second tier.

WARP shows this, Williams was worth 13.2 WARP last year, Rose was worth around 5.5.

Williams also created 10 more wins than Rose did last year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)

Deron averaged 10.5 assists to Rose's 6. That is a dramatic difference. Williams is also a much better shooter than Rose. 80% FT, 37% 3pt to 77% and 27% for Rose. Not to mention the fact that Williams TS% is .574 and Rose TS% is only at .532. Rose has a higher shooting percentage because he takes less jump shots, he isn't a better shooter. At this point in time Rose is a mediocre passer and distributor and I haven't seen him excel at running the pick and roll. He can score and likely at some point will surpass Williams in that area but he isn't even close to DWill when it comes to running the show.

And he hasn't been close to the best player on the court in the playoff games he's played in. LeBron was by far and away the best player in that series this year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 12:58 AM)
Strange Sox ... why would he have a better chance to win it with the Bulls than Cleveland? Rose?

You overestimate Rose.

It'd be less of a blow to pick NY or Miami but he's not going to do that either. He's still young. He has to win a title for Cleveland which hasn't won s*** in forever. He'll be remembered there forever as THE No. 1 hero of Cleveland.

He certainly isn't going to go to CHicago where the Bulls won a ton of titles with Jordan.

No way in hell he comes to Chicago.

Yeah, Garnett tried to be the no. 1 hero forever for the t-wolves. Ask him if he feels bad that he got to leave and win a championship and play in another with Boston. Ask Shaq if he feels bad for leaving Orlando to go on and win 4 championships. The rest is just made up B.S. by sportswriters on a deadline. that "I want to be the Man" stuff is pretty overrated, see: Celtics.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)

You overestimate Rose.

Rose, Noah, Boozer, Deng plus the rest of the supporting cast is a far better roster than what Cleveland has.

Probably not, but not because of the ridiculous arguments you're making.

It'd be less of a blow to pick NY or Miami but he's not going to do that either.
Why is Chicago so much more insulting to Cleveland than NY or Miami?

He's still young. He has to win a title for Cleveland which hasn't won s*** in forever. He'll be remembered there forever as THE No. 1 hero of Cleveland.

Yeah, if he manages to do that, he'll be a hero in Cleveland. No one is denying that. I'll be surprised if he doesn't stay in Cleveland. But it's not because they have the better roster or he can make just as much if not more money there.

No way in hell he comes to Chicago.

Why? Lakers fans never loved anyone after their runs? Celtics fans don't embrace their current crew because of what happens decades ago?

You are not making any sense. You just keep saying the same crap over and over without actually supporting any of it.