NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 07:25 AM)
They certainly gave up value, but they turned that value in to perhaps the best wing playing SF that CP3 has had to play alongside since he was drafted.

You've had a bad few days of posting Balta.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
You've had a bad few days of posting Balta.

Who has CP3 had recently who's been a better player at that position?

I assume you've got to be thinking of either Peja or David West, but I'm not sure which one I'd call a SF like Ariza, and Peja really wasn't effective there thanks to injury.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
Who has CP3 had recently who's been a better player at that position?

I assume you've got to be thinking of either Peja or David West, but I'm not sure which one I'd call a SF like Ariza, and Peja really wasn't effective there thanks to injury.

David West is a PF first of all (he could play SF, but would have a s***load of trouble guarding quicker SF who stretch the floor especially with his extra 20 lbs of extra bulk and limited quickness at that position). And yes Peja is a much better SF (he is a pure SF, who can play off guard) who was also the much better fit for Paul (especially in spacing) than Ariza will be unless he drastically improves his outside shooting. And of course now I see you changed your reply to "recently" which is alittle more tolerable. Hell Peja at Ariza's age was putting up 21-5-3. (.484 fg% .416 3p% 17.48 PER) You can't even compare them at per 36 minutes cause Peja trumps him there too, hell, he's in the top 50 in active PER right now. And I'll say this though... like I said if Ariza improves his outside shooting, Paul will definitely make him a better player overall cause he will find him. Playing with a PG like him would only help Trevor. (who also has much, MUCH better rebounding potential) If he can give Paul 16-4-2 (which is what Peja was averaging the last 4 years) with a respectable fg and 3p% (won't be as good of a shooter as Peja, but hopefully solid enough) it's a lateral move.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 06:49 PM)
And of course now I see you changed your reply to "recently" which is alittle more tolerable.

I added the 2nd sentence to elaborate on player names but the word "Recently" was there the first time I wrote it.

Bulls need to stop f***ing around and get a deal done for Rudy. Let them have Charlotte's pick + if thats what it cost. This team is set for the future... and are in win now mode. They need every piece they can get that fits with Rose especially with D-Wade's super team around. Hopefully Gar/Pax doesn't blow it. Keith Bogans... yikes. (good defender though)

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 04:16 AM)
Bulls need to stop f***ing around and get a deal done for Rudy. Let them have Charlotte's pick + if thats what it cost. This team is set for the future... and are in win now mode. They need every piece they can get that fits with Rose especially with D-Wade's super team around. Hopefully Gar/Pax doesn't blow it. Keith Bogans... yikes. (good defender though)

Keith Bogans is going to receive very limited playing time. People who are begging for all these secondary role players need to realize that there are only so many minutes to go around.

At the SG/SF positions, you need to divide 96 minute between Brewer, Korver, Deng, Bogans, Rudy, Johnson and even Watson.

Getting Rudy isn't really vital for future success, and getting yourself into a bidding war won't help. Ya, he's exciting to watch, but he's also inconsistent and has been complaining about playing time. Overpaying for him would be an incredibly dumb mistake.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
Keith Bogans is going to receive very limited playing time. People who are begging for all these secondary role players need to realize that there are only so many minutes to go around.

At the SG/SF positions, you need to divide 96 minute between Brewer, Korver, Deng, Bogans, Rudy, Johnson and even Watson.

Getting Rudy isn't really vital for future success, and getting yourself into a bidding war won't help. Ya, he's exciting to watch, but he's also inconsistent and has been complaining about playing time. Overpaying for him would be an incredibly dumb mistake.

And, he's been unhappy with 23-25 minutes in Portland. He'd get less in Chicago.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
Except Rudy is so talented that he might end up becoming our full-time starter.

He probably could, but you also signed Brewer telling him that he was going to start. If you get Rudy, you let the best man win.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)

Keith Bogans right now is our second SG off the bench, plus Thibs likes him alot. (wanted him all off-season) And yes Rudy is that talented. If you get him, he SHOULD be starting. Got your sniper in Rudy, slasher in Deng, post up man in Boozer, and garbage putbacks by Noah, and Rose does what he does which can help his drive and kick game. Plus Brewer can be subbed in late (more energy consumed as well) to guard SG/SF late in quarters.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
Keith Bogans right now is our second SG off the bench, plus Thibs likes him alot. (wanted him all off-season) And yes Rudy is that talented. If you get him, he SHOULD be starting. Got your sniper in Rudy, slasher in Deng, post up man in Boozer, and garbage putbacks by Noah, and Rose does what he does which can help his drive and kick game. Plus Brewer can be subbed in late (more energy consumed as well) to guard SG/SF late in quarters.

I wouldn't call Rudy a sniper at all. I like him, but he seems to be pretty overrated. A high percentage of all his shots are 3's, and he doesn't hit them at that high of a clip, 38.7% in his 2 seasons while shooting 40.6% from the field as a whole.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
I wouldn't call Rudy a sniper at all. I like him, but he seems to be pretty overrated. A high percentage of all his shots are 3's, and he doesn't hit them at that high of a clip, 38.7% in his 2 seasons while shooting 40.6% from the field as a whole.

If 39% from three point range isn't considered "that high" especially when usually 40% from three is considered "good/very solid" than I would hate to see what "that low" means from your end. And Rudy's 41% from the field is there why? Because that's all he did was shoot threes in Portland's system. Of his 6.8 FG attempts, 4.3 of them were for threes. 4.3! and in his career, of his 7.5 FG attempts, 4.7 were from threes. Anyone's FG% would be low if they were taking nearly every shot from distance. Dude lit the lamp in his rookie year setting the rookie record. He was also better used when he had his Spanish PG distributing and was more spread out in Portland's playbook. Just for comparisons sake, Korver is a career 41% (lower than that before his ungodly year last year) three point shooter. Of his 5.4 FG attempts 2.1 were from three point attempts when he shot the best FG% from three ever. Last year it was 7.2 FG attempts, 3.4 from three. Hell Ray Allen is a career .396% (pretty much 40%) three point shooter. His three point attempts last year was 5.0 and he had 12.2 FGs attempted. Rudy has nearly equaled him in three point attempts while not even shooting more (overall, 2s 3s, whatever) than Ray. In other words, he has been used very poorly/incorrectly in Portland's system. If Steve Kerr or Brent Barry wants to hop on a time machine and come back 10-15 years younger to play for us, than I would be all for it. Or if New Jersey hates Morrow because he shoots too good, then cool beans, we'll take him.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 11:08 PM)
If 39% from three point range isn't considered "that high" especially when usually 40% from three is considered "good/very solid" than I would hate to see what "that low" means from your end. And Rudy's 41% from the field is there why? Because that's all he did was shoot threes in Portland's system. Of his 6.8 FG attempts, 4.3 of them were for threes. 4.3! and in his career, of his 7.5 FG attempts, 4.7 were from threes. Anyone's FG% would be low if they were taking nearly every shot from distance. Dude lit the lamp in his rookie year setting the rookie record. He was also better used when he had his Spanish PG distributing and was more spread out in Portland's playbook. Just for comparisons sake, Korver is a career 41% (lower than that before his ungodly year last year) three point shooter. Of his 5.4 FG attempts 2.1 were from three point attempts when he shot the best FG% from three ever. Last year it was 7.2 FG attempts, 3.4 from three. Hell Ray Allen is a career .396% (pretty much 40%) three point shooter. His three point attempts last year was 5.0 and he had 12.2 FGs attempted. Rudy has nearly equaled him in three point attempts while not even shooting more (overall, 2s 3s, whatever) than Ray. In other words, he has been used very poorly/incorrectly in Portland's system. If Steve Kerr or Brent Barry wants to hop on a time machine and come back 10-15 years younger to play for us, than I would be all for it. Or if New Jersey hates Morrow because he shoots too good, then cool beans, we'll take him.

Putting numbers in bold won't help your argument. I like Rudy. I don't like that he takes a ton of 3's but isn't elite as a shooter. Antoine Walker also had a majority of his shots be 3 pointers. That doesn't mean he's a good shooter. I just don't want to overpay for Rudy.

And putting him in the same breath as Ray Allen, Steve Kerr, and Brent Barry is just wrong. Allen is one of the best pure shooters ever amd Kerr shot over 45% from 3 in his career. And all 3 had field goal % over 45% for their career.

And this might be a dumb question, but what records did Rudy break as a rookie?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)
Putting numbers in bold won't help your argument. I like Rudy. I don't like that he takes a ton of 3's. And I wouldn't want to overpay for him.

And putting him in the same breath as Ray Allen, Steve Kerr, and Brent Barry is just wrong. Allen is one of the best pure shooters ever amd Kerr shot over 45% from 3 in his career. And all 3 had field goal % over 45% for their career.

Thats all you got Slav? I put them in bold to show the large difference in what I was saying about him and his three point attempts, not because I was trying to "help my argument" its facts. When your shooting 39% and your FG% is 41% obviously there is more to that (wow.. like taking 8/10 of your shots from 3 perhaps is it... hmmm). And take your hyperbole crap out of here. I never mentioned Kerr, Barry or Allen in the "same sentence" in fact I was saying I would love Kerr or Barry to somehow go into the past and come back 10-15 years younger to help us (or for NJ to trade Morrow here). Your acting like I said Rudy was as good as those guys as a shooter who were both 41% and 45% respectively. (simply ridiculous BTW) And I was showing Allen's career 40% as an example of your ridiculous post about Rudy's 39% being "not that high." You said it, live with it. The only "semi" comparison I made was from Kyle Korver since he is now with us and had a crazy year from downtown last year.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
And this might be a dumb question, but what records did Rudy break as a rookie?

Already late for that... but Rudy broke the three point record for Rookies as in.. most 3 pointers made during the regular season. And BTW, I agree with you he has been overrated by Bulls fans... ALOT. That doesn't mean though that he's garbage.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 11:41 PM)
Thats all you got Slav? I put them in bold to show the large difference in what I was saying about him and his three point attempts, not because I was trying to "help my argument" its facts. When your shooting 39% and your FG% is 41% obviously there is more to that (wow.. like taking 8/10 of your shots from 3 perhaps is it... hmmm). And take your hyperbole crap out of here. I never mentioned Kerr, Barry or Allen in the "same sentence" in fact I was saying I would love Kerr or Barry to somehow go into the past and come back 10-15 years younger to help us (or for NJ to trade Morrow here). Your acting like I said Rudy was as good as those guys as a shooter who were both 41% and 45% respectively. (simply ridiculous BTW) And I was showing Allen's career 40% as an example of your ridiculous post about Rudy's 39% being "not that high." You said it, live with it. The only "semi" comparison I made was from Kyle Korver since he is now with us and had a crazy year from downtown last year.

I guess I just don't get your point. He's a good, but not great shooter. A majority of his shots are 3's. All I'm saying is that I don't think we'd be dumb to not go get him. But we certainly would be dumb if we overpaid for him.

And I said same breath, not same sentence. ;)

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 11:41 PM)

Already late for that... but Rudy broke the three point record for Rookies as in.. most 3 pointers made during the regular season. And BTW, I agree with you he has been overrated by Bulls fans... ALOT. That doesn't mean though that he's garbage.

When did I ever say he was garbage? I don't think I've said anything even close to that.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 11:46 PM)
He's a good, but not great shooter. A majority of his shots are 3's. All I'm saying is that I don't think we'd be dumb to not go get him. But we certainly would be dumb if we overpaid for him.

Now this my friend.... I'm down with. :)

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 11:48 PM)
When did I ever say he was garbage? I don't think I've said anything even close to that.

I know, just throwing some of my own hyperbole back at cha. :D

I'm just worried about the Bulls lack of a consistent threat for Rose to really optimize his potential. We were the second worst three point shooting team from last year, and we already lost Hinrich (who I hated anyways, but he was at least a threat from 3) and Miller/Salmons. We finally have a low post threat (thank god) in Boozer, but still did not address a glaring weakness. Korver can not do it all by himself, especially not starting (no we won't get starters minutes). We have to rely on Rose really improving (possible) and Deng. (who never strikes me as a guy who really works on his game anyway) Brewer can't do it (though it's not all his fault, cause of that injury in his childhood) Bogans/Watson are meh, Johnson probably won't play much and the rest are bigs who are non threats at all. And as much as we all love Derrick, we can't have him just jacking up alot of 3s all season.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 11:49 PM)
Deng. (who never strikes me as a guy who really works on his game anyway)

It's fairly obvious what Deng is and isn't by now. His breakout year was when he abandoned shooting 3s and just dribbled and popped mid-range shots. He can't really work on "don't get injured" or "become more naturally athletic"...