NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)
The Bulls have more talent to offer, the Knicks can offer greater salary flexibility.

That is very debatable if the Knicks want to get ballsy and offer Randolph as well. If they don't, your right.

And ya... I'll add this to the LeBron, Bosh, Wade, and before that.. Kobe, Gasol, Garnett, etc.. rumors.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
That is very debatable if the Knicks want to get ballsy and offer Randolph as well. If they don't, your right.

Not if the Bulls get ballsy in reply and offer Joakim. The problem with Noah is...the cost in luxury tax of taking on him and Deng and offering Noah an extension would be monstrous.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)
Not if the Bulls get ballsy in reply and offer Joakim. The problem with Noah is...the cost in luxury tax of taking on him and Deng and offering Noah an extension would be monstrous.

Correct, which is why the Bulls won't offer Noah. The Knicks can still offer Randolph and be good in spending. The thing is like the Bulls, I can't see the Knicks doing it. Now New Jersey.. they beat out both teams in talent, and can offer alot to get Melo (as they've said.. whatever it takes). But I highly doubt he would sign an extension to a team who was terrible last year even with a couple of nice pieces.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
Correct, which is why the Bulls won't offer Noah.

Honestly, if I were the Bulls and I could get Anthony for Noah + Deng, and do so without giving up Gibson such that I at least had someone to play C this year, I don't see how I could say no.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
Honestly, if I were the Bulls and I could get Anthony for Noah + Deng, and do so without giving up Gibson such that I at least had someone to play C this year, I don't see how I could say no.

Yeah, pretty much you have to keep one of Noah or Gibson. After that, if they want to make a deal, do it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)

Obviously, he would not be the hold up. Noah is a fine player, but it's easier to replace him than it is to acquire a Melo type talent. Taj Gibson would not hold me up either. Derrick Rose becomes the second option. That is incredible to think about. Rose-Brewer-Melo-Boozer-Przybilla type big man (maybe add him to a Rudy Fernandez trade), you have a fighting chance against Miami.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 02:50 PM)
Obviously, he would not be the hold up. Noah is a fine player, but it's easier to replace him than it is to acquire a Melo type talent. Taj Gibson would not hold me up either. Derrick Rose becomes the second option. That is incredible to think about. Rose-Brewer-Melo-Boozer-Przybilla type big man (maybe add him to a Rudy Fernandez trade), you have a fighting chance against Miami.

While adding Melo and giving up Noah certainly makes you a better team, I still really don't think you have that much of a shot against the Heat. Now if we can add Anthony and keep Noah then you might just have a somewhat legit shot at winning a title.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
While adding Melo and giving up Noah certainly makes you a better team, I still really don't think you have that much of a shot against the Heat. Now if we can add Anthony and keep Noah then you might just have a somewhat legit shot at winning a title.

Asik / Gibson / Thomas

Boozer / Gibson / Thomas

Melo / Brewer / Korver

Brewer/ Korver / Watson / Bogans

D-Rose / Watson

F*ck it. I'm down.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
Asik / Gibson / Thomas

Boozer / Gibson / Thomas

Melo / Brewer / Korver

Brewer/ Korver / Watson / Bogans

D-Rose / Watson

F*ck it. I'm down.

As long as you don't give up both Gibson and Noah such that you can at least have a defensive presence at C for part of the game (and you know, you hold onto DR1)....there's no deal that you could make that would be bad for the Bulls.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 07:52 AM)
The issue might not be as much the Bulls being unwilling to give up Noah, but instead it might be the Nuggets understanding that they're going to have to extend Noah this year and as such Noah not offering really anything in terms of salary relief. Deng's contract + $10 million+ to extend Noah in exchange for Anthony means they've taken on an additional $5-10 million in salary, and I believe they're in tax territory, so that's nearly $20 million out the door in that deal.

The report is BS. Noah is making $3.1 million this year. They have this thing in the NBA called a salary cap. The Bulls don't have cap space for the trade.For the Bulls to get Carmelo, Deng has to go to Denver or be part of a 3 team trade.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)
The report is BS. Noah is making $3.1 million this year. They have this thing in the NBA called a salary cap. The Bulls don't have cap space for the trade.For the Bulls to get Carmelo, Deng has to go to Denver or be part of a 3 team trade.

WTF? didn't I explicitly say Deng + Noah?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 09:09 PM)
WTF? didn't I explicitly say Deng + Noah?

I'm just telling you, like 99 percent of all NBA trade talk, the report with Noah is BS. It specifically said Denver doesn't want Deng. It can't possibly work even if the Bulls were to be willing to give up Noah if Deng wasn't involved.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 10:17 PM)
I'm just telling you, like 99 percent of all NBA trade talk, the report with Noah is BS. It specifically said Denver doesn't want Deng. It can't possibly work even if the Bulls were to be willing to give up Noah if Deng wasn't involved.

Does any team have the cap space left after this season to absorb that cap hit?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 09:17 PM)

I didnt see an article where a member of the Nuggets said they specifically didnt want Deng. I saw some analysts speculating on whether or not they WOULD, but nobody coming out and confirming.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 06:55 AM)
I didnt see an article where a member of the Nuggets said they specifically didnt want Deng. I saw some analysts speculating on whether or not they WOULD, but nobody coming out and confirming.

Here is the report:

The Chicago Bulls are interested in trading for the Denver Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony, a league source told ESPNChicago.com on Thursday.

And while the source said that the team is holding internal discussions as to whether the Bulls would allow Joakim Noah to be part of any deal, Chicago has not reached a consensus. Another source close to the situation told ESPNChicago.com's Nick Friedell that Noah would not be part of an Anthony deal.

The Nuggets are hesitant to take back Luol Deng as part of a deal with the Bulls because Denver is leery of taking on long-term contracts with the collective bargaining agreement set to expire on June 30, 2011. Deng is two years into a six-year, $71 million contract, the initial source said.

So unless there is going to be some 3 or 4 or 5 way trade, and if anyone really wanted Deng, I'm sure he wouldn't be a Bull right now, the report is BS. Most are in the NBA.

Edited by Dick Allen

The other way to read that article DA is "The Bulls are hesitant to give up Noah and the Nuggets are hesitant to take back Deng's contract".

Therefore, it's a waiting game. The Bulls can offer Deng + the 09 draft class and play the wait and see game, but the Nuggets are the team with the deadline. It gets to the end of this season, the lockout starts, and that could be it.