NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)
How is he selfish? I would say he is almost too unselfish at times on the court.

Really? I don't see it. I see him being a hotdog and being a lazy ass when the camera's not on him. Maybe I'm wrong....

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 08:22 PM)
Really? I don't see it. I see him being a hotdog and being a lazy ass when the camera's not on him. Maybe I'm wrong....

I think you are wrong..

If LeBron was selfish hed prolly be scoring 35+ a game.. hes been surrounded by trash his whole career..

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 07:19 PM)
I imagine there were some legal issues for the Lebron in a Bulls uni framed against the Chicago skyline picture. This is a decent enough replacement,

Yeah, I even had to create bulls*** championship trophies instead of using a pic... $$$$$

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 08:22 PM)

He is an attention whore but on the court he is definitely unselfish, although at times he seemingly goes 3 point crazy.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)
He is an attention whore but on the court he is definitely unselfish, although at times he seemingly goes 3 point crazy.

I guess I just take the example of him being a whiney b**** several times and then him half assing it in this year's playoffs anytime the score didn't treat him well. I just don't like that attitude at all - and that comes across on the court larger then life.

I can't disagree the guy's got a massive marketing machine though. He'd put asses in the seats for sure.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
I guess I just take the example of him being a whiney b**** several times and then him half assing it in this year's playoffs anytime the score didn't treat him well. I just don't like that attitude at all - and that comes across on the court larger then life.

I can't disagree the guy's got a massive marketing machine though. He'd put asses in the seats for sure.

I forget where, but I read he'd be a massive boon to the Chicago economy. Like, a couple billion boon.

Also, it'd generate revenue for Reinsdorf, which in a fantastic world means we bid for bigger FA's in Soxdom and pay for drafting.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
I guess I just take the example of him being a whiney b**** several times and then him half assing it in this year's playoffs anytime the score didn't treat him well.

Hard to give it all for your team when one of your best friends has been humping your mom.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 08:12 PM)
LeSelfish hasn't won for a reason.

If I were a Bulls fan (YESSSSSSS, Hawks score!!!) I would take anyone besides LeSelfish.

It's obvious you don't watch much basketball. If any at all.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)

You know the amazing thing Kap? I half agree with you.

Lebron's game is no where near at the level it should be, and if it wasn't for his ego, I think he'd have a title by now.

He's gotten everything he wanted from Cleveland. He got a coach who let him work on whatever he wanted to work on, rather than what the team needed him to work on. He got a coach who put in the system he wanted rather than focusing on running what might work best for them. He was able to get virtual veto power over trades, and they wound up with things like Shaq on the floor for 40 minutes against a couple of 25 year olds in the Celtics series. He ought to be the most dominant post player in the game, but he's shown no interest in going down low and doing that kind of work. His game is way too perimeter oriented.

All that said...the other side of it is...his physical skill set is so far beyond what anyone else in the league can compare to, even with the weaknesses in his game, he's still far and away the best player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 08:09 AM)

Lebron's game is no where near at the level it should be, and if it wasn't for his ego, I think he'd have a title by now.

He's gotten everything he wanted from Cleveland. He got a coach who let him work on whatever he wanted to work on, rather than what the team needed him to work on. He got a coach who put in the system he wanted rather than focusing on running what might work best for them. He was able to get virtual veto power over trades, and they wound up with things like Shaq on the floor for 40 minutes against a couple of 25 year olds in the Celtics series. He ought to be the most dominant post player in the game, but he's shown no interest in going down low and doing that kind of work. His game is way too perimeter oriented.

All that said...the other side of it is...his physical skill set is so far beyond what anyone else in the league can compare to, even with the weaknesses in his game, he's still far and away the best player.

Like I said, I would love to see LeBron on a team with a coach like Skiles or Jackson that would make him a better player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 08:09 AM)

No way. Kobe is clearly the best player in the league, and I dunno that it's really that close of a discussion.

Look, fact is I'd love to have LeBron if for no other reason than the other team is forced to pay tons of attention to him so guys like Rose and Noah can do their thing. He's also getting the superstar treatment, which allows him to drive the lane and get to the line 9 times out of 10. But I don't think he's anywhere near as good as people make him out to be. As you say the lack of ANY post game is ridiculous for a guy with his size and speed. And he's been in the league for what, 6 years now? He's not going to be the next Jordan, nor will he ever be the next Jordan. I think that ship has already sailed. Kobe is the only other person close enough to do that.

I'd still love him on the Bulls though.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 09:38 AM)
No way. Kobe is clearly the best player in the league, and I dunno that it's really that close of a discussion.

Look, fact is I'd love to have LeBron if for no other reason than the other team is forced to pay tons of attention to him so guys like Rose and Noah can do their thing. He's also getting the superstar treatment, which allows him to drive the lane and get to the line 9 times out of 10. But I don't think he's anywhere near as good as people make him out to be. As you say the lack of ANY post game is ridiculous for a guy with his size and speed. And he's been in the league for what, 6 years now? He's not going to be the next Jordan, nor will he ever be the next Jordan. I think that ship has already sailed. Kobe is the only other person close enough to do that.

I'd still love him on the Bulls though.

He lacks a post game because he just doesn't need one. Would you like him to average 40 and 15 or something? Dude's numbers are absolutely insane and statistically he is far and away the best player in this league. I agree that he'll never be Jordan(no one ever will) but to say he's no where near as good as people make him out to be is absolutely crazy. And remember, I hate that asshole at the moment but I'll learn to love him if he becomes a Bull because we'd win multiple championships, easily.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)
He lacks a post game because he just doesn't need one. Would you like him to average 40 and 15 or something? Dude's numbers are absolutely insane and statistically he is far and away the best player in this league. I agree that he'll never be Jordan(no one ever will) but to say he's no where near as good as people make him out to be is absolutely crazy. And remember, I hate that asshole at the moment but I'll learn to love him if he becomes a Bull because we'd win multiple championships, easily.

I disagree that he doesn't need one. Jordan and Kobe perfected it because eventually the legs give out and you can't just beat guys off the dribble. He should be working on that skill now so in 5-6 years he'll be ready for it. Right now his game is simply to shoot long jump shots, threes, and drive the basketball. That's fine, and clearly it works well for him, but he could be THAT much better if he developed an all around game. But that's exactly the problem. Whereas guys like Jordan and Kobe wanted to be the best at everything, always, Lebron seems to be satisfied with settling a bit.

And I know he puts up impressive stats, but so did guys like Iverson, and I never considered him the best or second best player in the game.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying Lebron is awful. He's cleary one of the handful of great, great players in the league. But his athleticism is what makes him that way, not his pure basketball talent.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
I disagree that he doesn't need one. Jordan and Kobe perfected it because eventually the legs give out and you can't just beat guys off the dribble. He should be working on that skill now so in 5-6 years he'll be ready for it. Right now his game is simply to shoot long jump shots, threes, and drive the basketball. That's fine, and clearly it works well for him, but he could be THAT much better if he developed an all around game. But that's exactly the problem. Whereas guys like Jordan and Kobe wanted to be the best at everything, always, Lebron seems to be satisfied with settling a bit.

The other thing that not having a post game does is it takes away a potential advantage that he could exploit right now. There isn't a small forward in the league that he isn't stronger than, and there isn't a power forward/C in the league he's not faster than down low. Paul Pierce didn't do jack squat the entire Cleveland series even when Lebron had bad games, because he was either exhausted or on the bench in foul trouble. There's no good reason why he couldn't have done the exact same thing to Garnett down low and put their entire front line on the bench.

And, if you can draw the defense down low, you open out the outside for your other slashers/shooters even more.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
Yes, he does.

He really doesn't, if you think he's going to need to develop one for the later part of his career, fine, I can buy that but I'll worry about that when he loses some athleticism which will be a while.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:29 PM)

And I know he puts up impressive stats, but so did guys like Iverson, and I never considered him the best or second best player in the game.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying Lebron is awful. He's cleary one of the handful of great, great players in the league. But his athleticism is what makes him that way, not his pure basketball talent.

Iverson's number were never any where near what Lebron was doing. Yes, Iverson could obviously score with anyone in the game but the rest of his game(including defensive impact) were not even in Lebrons league.

As for the bolded part, I'm not going to argue that, but who the hell cares?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
The other thing that not having a post game does is it takes away a potential advantage that he could exploit right now. There isn't a small forward in the league that he isn't stronger than, and there isn't a power forward/C in the league he's not faster than down low. Paul Pierce didn't do jack squat the entire Cleveland series even when Lebron had bad games, because he was either exhausted or on the bench in foul trouble. There's no good reason why he couldn't have done the exact same thing to Garnett down low and put their entire front line on the bench.

And, if you can draw the defense down low, you open out the outside for your other slashers/shooters even more.

Everything you said, he does with his dribble penetration anyways. I've always believed that he should take less jump shots because of his physical attributes to get to the hole but he really doesn't need to develop a post game at all, it's not a big deal at this point.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
He really doesn't, if you think he's going to need to develop one for the later part of his career, fine, I can buy that but I'll worry about that when he loses some athleticism which will be a while.

Iverson's number were never any where near what Lebron was doing. Yes, Iverson could obviously score with anyone in the game but the rest of his game(including defensive impact) were not even in Lebrons league.

As for the bolded part, I'm not going to argue that, but who the hell cares?

I think it matters on how you can defend him. Kobe can not be beat as far as I'm concerned because he has both. When he has an off night, it's mainly due to him not shooting the ball well or choosing to be a facilitator. Lebron I think can sometimes be lost by taking jump shots or not getting as many calls with the dribble drive. At that point he just tries to out athleticize teams, which he can do, but not for a full game. I think that's one reason why he's at home right now instead of playing in the finals (clearly the supporting cast is another major reason).

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 11:37 PM)
Also, it'd generate revenue for Reinsdorf, which in a fantastic world means we bid for bigger FA's in Soxdom and pay for drafting.

I don't think he could do that even if he wanted to.

Edited by Iwritecode

I still say...if you can get Bosh or Wade to sign on the dotted line on day 1, you do exactly that and walk away content. Putting up with this "all glory to the hypnotoad King tour" is going to be Hell.

According to a source with first-hand knowledge of James' plans, the Larry King interview that was shot Tuesday and will air Friday on CNN was only the beginning of his elaborate scheme to draw unprecedented attention to his courting. James, according to the source, is in discussions with Nike to create a new shoe for every visit along his free agent path starting July 1. The shoes would have the date of the visit printed, with James already having scripted his itinerary for the Free Agency Tour 2010.

The source insists that he'll head for New York first to visit with the Knicks, and then spend time with the Nets. Chicago will be next, with the Bulls hoping he wants to follow in the footsteps of Michael Jordan and become the Windy City's beloved star. Depending on the level of sustained public interest and the discussions with the teams in the respective cities, James will decide at that point whether to continue on to Miami and possibly Los Angeles to see the Clippers.

That final stop would be Hollywood style in every way, with James simply putting on a show intended to create buzz in yet another big city and maintain the mystery of where he will go. And for what it's worth, the source expects James to return to the Cavaliers by the time the circus comes to an end.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
I still say...if you can get Bosh or Wade to sign on the dotted line on day 1, you do exactly that and walk away content. Putting up with this "all glory to the hypnotoad King tour" is going to be Hell.

Yeah, I had a feeling the longer that draws out the more I'd lose respect for him. He's becoming a bit of a drama queen.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 10:10 AM)
Yeah, I had a feeling the longer that draws out the more I'd lose respect for him. He's becoming a bit of a drama queen.

Becoming? He became that a long, long time ago. Now is just a question of how far down the rabbit hole he wants to go.