NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 10:39 AM)
I'd include Joe Johnson and Dirk Nowitski in that list.

I think Johnson actually is likely to be a late signee...because I think his best shot to cash in, unless he stays in Atlanta, is to wind up with 4 teams having the cap space to offer a max deal but Lebron and Bosh are off the market, so one of those teams (NYK) offers him a max deal just to land something. I put Amare in the same boat. No one intelligent is offering them a max deal on day 1.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5249031

"LeBron James Speedway" will host Chicago's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race in July if James accepts an offer from Chicagoland Speedway president Craig Rust.

On Thursday, Rust sent James a letter inviting the to-be NBA free agent to the LifeLock.com 400, which his track will host July 10. Besides re-naming the track in James' name for the weekend, Rust would also have a "Lebron James Speedway" logo printed on limited edition merchandise, painted on the front stretch of the infield and incorporated into signage throughout the speedway.

"As a special VIP guest, you will be given the honorary title of 'King' of our NASCAR weekend," Rust wrote in the letter, released by Chicagoland Speedway.

Rust also lured James with a chance to address the fans and drivers before the race.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
You think the Lebron James "I am the King" tour will only take July?

I don't see him taking that long to make his decision. It won't be right on July 8th, but I'll say by the 15th.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
This is why I wish we had unloaded just a little bit more. How nice would it have been to add Bosh real early and then have Lebron looking at a team that included Bosh, Rose, and Noah.

The only way to have pulled that off, realistically, would have been to have turned Deng into an expiring deal as well, and I'm just not sure there were any takers.

World Wide Wes has been telling everyone that he believes LeBron James(notes) is leaning hard toward signing with the Chicago Bulls. No one can be certain if basketball’s most famous middleman has been whispering honest insights to friends or amping the anxiety of Cleveland owner Dan Gilbert. Just know this: It wasn’t until Tom Thibodeau – who swore he never again wanted an agent – signed with William Wesley’s CAA that the Chicago Bulls grew serious about the coach’s candidacy.

Something pushed Bulls officials to get on a plane, fly to Los Angeles on the eve of the NBA Finals and meet with the Boston Celtics assistant coach. Within 48 hours, the Bulls had a deal for Thibodeau to become their head coach. For several weeks, the Bulls had chances to interview him. They never did. Just a year ago, Thibodeau couldn’t get offers from the Sacramento Kings, Detroit Pistons, Philadelphia Sixers and Minnesota Timberwolves. The Celtics see him as a career assistant and wouldn’t even consider him as a candidate to replace Doc Rivers.

Only now, Tom Thibodeau has a three-year contract to coach the Chicago Bulls.

As one front-office executive with a franchise that has significant salary-cap space this summer said, “I think all the big free-agent deals will be done by July 1, if not the draft. The NBA would have a cow if [it] knew what’s going on now.”

Some league executives don’t even believe Bulls general manager Gar Forman was sold on Thibodeau, but it doesn’t matter. Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf was. Everything is happening on the ownership level now, and that’s the reason Gilbert wants to become Jerry Jones and Danny Ferry wanted out of a Cleveland future whether it included LeBron James or not. The hiring of Thibodeau doesn’t assure the Bulls of James, but consider it something of a down payment.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aq_w...influence060510

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
Even if the deal is done, no one is denying Lebron his "courting" tour. He's getting his visit to Wrigley, his ticker tape parade in NY, and whatever L.A. does for peopl

Send them to rehab

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
Even if the deal is done, no one is denying Lebron his "courting" tour. He's getting his visit to Wrigley, his ticker tape parade in NY, and whatever L.A. does for peopl

Agreed. As I posted earlier, a few columnists reporters are saying he missed out on this type of thing for college and many think he wants the ego stroke that he missed out on.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)
Agreed. As I posted earlier, a few columnists reporters are saying he missed out on this type of thing for college and many think he wants the ego stroke that he missed out on.

I think Nike wants it more than him.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 07:42 AM)
There isnt a day that goes by that I dont pray to baby Jesus for Lebron James to become a Chicago Bull this off season.

make sure you pray to Baby Jesus, and not the older one

So I won't have to listen to that stupid Godfather music everytime Mo Williams makes a 3 if he gets traded? Fantastic.

And remember how pissed the Cavs and Lebron were when he didn't get an all-star spot a year and 4 months back? Oh how things can change.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
Tom Izzo doesnt strike me as a "we're trying to keep LeBron here" move. So, their move to keep LeBron and go for a title is hiring a coach with NO NBA coaching experience. riighht....

Disagree, Izzo is one of the most liked individuals in all of sports. I don't think LeBron really cares about how many titles his coach has won.