NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
If it was about money, he wouldn't have left Dallas.

It can be a little bit about both. But the difference between what he left on the table and the MLE is no small chunk of change.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 24, 2010 -> 08:56 AM)
It can be a little bit about both. But the difference between what he left on the table and the MLE is no small chunk of change.

I can see him taking less, but not 13 million less. We're still talking about one of the 15 best players in the league.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
If it was about money, he wouldn't have left Dallas.

He hasn't left Dallas. By opting out, he can now set himself up for that last big contract. He can still sign with Dallas if he wants.

And with all of the uncertainty going into the next off-season for 2011 with the labor agreement etc., any superstar's going to opt out and try to get a max long - term deal now for more money while they can.

I don't think Dirk leaves Dallas though. If anything, they'll do a sign and trade with Dampier + something to get another star to play alongside Dirk.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 24, 2010 -> 11:56 AM)
I don't think Dirk leaves Dallas though. If anything, they'll do a sign and trade with Dampier + something to get another star to play alongside Dirk.

I'd hate to be the team trading for Dampier.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2010 -> 01:57 AM)
I'd hate to be the team trading for Dampier.

Dampier's contract isn't guaranteed, so you can waive him and it doesn't count against the salary cap.

If you're a team desperate to clear salary like Wasington was with the Jamison trade, then it makes sense I guess, or you are trying to clear cap room to sign FA's.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 27, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
ESPN is reporting that a few of the major free agents are going to meet up and discuss what everyone is thinking.

I'm pretty sure they all set themselves up to have the same agent(s) a few months ago.

Just heard on the Score that D-Wade says the Bulls aren't loyal and that loyalty is important to him because he's a loyal person. He uses Pippen and Jordan not being around the organization as an excuse. Really Dwyane? Really?

Maybe M.J. could have been a little more loyal and not have retired at age 34 and then come back three years later to another team.

Maybe you shouldn't call yourself loyal because you're obviously not the cleanest guy around when it comes to marriage.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 27, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
Just heard on the Score that D-Wade says the Bulls aren't loyal and that loyalty is important to him because he's a loyal person. He uses Pippen and Jordan not being around the organization as an excuse. Really Dwyane? Really?

Maybe M.J. could have been a little more loyal and not have retired at age 34 and then come back three years later to another team.

Maybe you shouldn't call yourself loyal because you're obviously not the cleanest guy around when it comes to marriage.

yeah, that's silly, they brought Pippen back at the end of his career, Pax has a prominent role with the team, Cartwright was around for awhile, Pete Meyers is still with the org., BJ Armstrong was in the front office for awhile, probably a few other examples I'm missing. Jordan wanted to take the next step and be an owner, the Bulls are a valuable franchise, just because Jordan helped make it valuable, and got paid extremely well do to so, doesn't mean the owners should have been strong-armed into giving him some ownership, there wasn't a fit. I don't think Wade wants to play back in his hometown, which I can understand, and is just saying this, because the facts aren't there.

The reason Jordan isn't around is because he wanted someone to give him a team to run. The Bulls wisely weren't going to do that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2010 -> 11:25 AM)
The reason Jordan isn't around is because he wanted someone to give him a team to run. The Bulls wisely weren't going to do that.

Who would? Unless the team is going down the trash, nobody's willing to hand anything over.

You know Jordan hasn't said that much lately. It's probably something little Jordan mentioned &, D-Wade trying to make it a big deal. D-Wade is obviously staying in Miami & hoping he can convince Lebron to join him. Other then staying in Cleveland, which I think Lebron is ready to leave, playing with D-Wade, or D-Rose, Noah, & Company are the best options!!

With "Lebron's Team" following the Jordan blue print, I see no reason why he wouldn't come to Chicago. He can open up Jordan's Old Restaurant, call it LBJ-6, he can take Oprah's Water Tower Place, & he'll be all set!!

Edited by soxfan-kwman

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ May 27, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)
You know Jordan hasn't said that much lately. It's probably something little Jordan mentioned &, D-Wade trying to make it a big deal. D-Wade is obviously staying in Miami & hoping he can convince Lebron to join him. Other then staying in Cleveland, which I think Lebron is ready to leave, playing with D-Wade, or D-Rose, Noah, & Company are the best options!!

With "Lebron's Team" following the Jordan blue print, I see no reason why he wouldn't come to Chicago. He can open up Jordan's Old Restaurant, call it LBJ-6, he can take Oprah's Water Tower Place, & he'll be all set!!

Jordan can't say a ton because he is an NBA owner... while the Lebron/Wade or Bosh in some form looks great on paper, I don't think it would work once egos get involved, obviously not talking on-court, talking about the off court stuff.

Jason Williams stepped up for the Bulls org today and said how loyal the team was after his motorcycle accident and that the Bulls had nothing that made them stand by him and see him through his rehab with money and training support. I really think Wade doesn't want to come to Chicago and he wants to stay in Miami but realizes that Chicago is an extremely attractive destination for any of the top FAs so he's trying to make them look bad.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 29, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
I really think Wade doesn't want to come to Chicago and he wants to stay in Miami but realizes that Chicago is an extremely attractive destination for any of the top FAs so he's trying to make them look bad.

Pretty much. He actually made alot of enemies in his own hometown with those statements. Only thing he might do to make it right is become a Bull himself which many don't see happening now. Wade tipped his hand, so as far as I'm (and I'm sure alot of people) he still will be a Heat player recruiting people. Plus I never took New York seriously as a place for him, no matter how much he and the Knicks brass. (and Wade himself) tries to "sell" it. (I'll believe it when he signs on their dotted line)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 29, 2010 -> 12:21 AM)
Pretty much. He actually made alot of enemies in his own hometown with those statements. Only thing he might do to make it right is become a Bull himself which many don't see happening now. Wade tipped his hand, so as far as I'm (and I'm sure alot of people) he still will be a Heat player recruiting people. Plus I never took New York seriously as a place for him, no matter how much he and the Knicks brass. (and Wade himself) tries to "sell" it. (I'll believe it when he signs on their dotted line)

completely agree that he is 99.9% set in Miami. I know there's talk of James/Wade together in Miami or NJ or NY, but I don't see it. I just flat out can't see those egos working together.

If Wade is so loyal, how come he hasn't re-signed with Miami yet?